What is your go to shave soap/cream?

1625107472088.jpg

Arko or Cremo

OK, tonight I used coconut oil. I put it on my dry beard and it shaved off pretty darn slick. No nicks and pretty close. I guess women will put it on their legs before they get in the shower and then they just shave away.
Itis a pretty good substitute.

I dont understand the EDGE users. it's not better than Gillette foamy and it adds extra time
to spread it and for it to foam on your face. Yes it is "Fun" - but to no benefit.
Now that I'm retired I don't care about extra shaving time, but on workdays NO WAY!

Barbasol and Colgate are quite inferior - near worthless.

I am missing Noxzema in a can. Why is it gone from the shelves?

Also the "shaving craze" is absolutely silly to me - how did this start?

Men feel the need to be pampered for some bizarre reason?

I dont understand the EDGE users. it's not better than Gillette foamy and it adds extra time
to spread it and for it to foam on your face. Yes it is "Fun" - but to no benefit.
Now that I'm retired I don't care about extra shaving time, but on workdays NO WAY!

Millennials and girly men.

It "started" when Madison Avenue figured out a way to increase sales without increasing quality product. Advertising my man, advertising. Big $$.

I wash and rinse my face twice with Shea Moisture bar soap (it rinses off very clean) and then I use Walmart Equate sensitive skin shaving cream in the can. That makes the shave uneventful, smooth and most importantly no razor bumps, irritation or nicks. I shave once or twice a week, since I don't grow a whole lot of facial hair (mustache, chin hair and peach fuzz on the sides of my face).

When I feel like switching it up, I use the same face washing regimen and then pull out my mug and brush and use C.O. Bigelow (in the green metal squeezable tube) from Bath and Body Works.

Edge gel and Barbasol menthol were my go-to's in the 1980s when I was in high school. It's what my dad bought, so I just bought them too. Now it's just whatever I bathe with.

gold bond mens moisturizer - doesn't foul the razor and no need to wash it off when Im done, whats left soaks right in and keep my dry skin moist.

Unknown.jpeg

This morning it was Shiseido Men shaving cream, made in Japan, followed by Proraso (white, for sensitive skin) aftershave balm, made in Italy.

Last edited:
Went to a rechargeable Scull Shaver for my head and face. Soap my head and face up in the shower and go to town. I get around three weeks of use out of each recharge. Back up is a safety razor with Feather blades. I do have a year old can of Gillette Gel in the medicine cabinet.

Lately I’ve been liking this style of shaving cream, as opposed to the foamy type that comes in a can.

I like the fact that the lack of foam helps me to make accurate lines when I have a beard.

Only takes about a quarter-sized dollop, and, when mixed with water, it’s extremely slick.

A benefit of not needing very much is that a tube lasts a very long time.

Once I wet my face and rub it in, I keep some on one hand to re-apply as necessary as I make repeat passes with the Mach 3.

It also helps to add a little water as I go. It makes it slicker.

This one has a pleasant citrus/orange scent. Ideal for summer.

749853C0-1E7E-4885-B80C-8A94352AED09.jpeg

And let's throw in a word for sharp blades!

Learned to shave using Noxema foam and double edged blades. They 'topped' pimples cleanly.
After the bleeding stopped the scars were flush with my face.

Back