What is your favorite sleeper car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a ricer in an early 90's Accord try to race a Buick GNX not too long ago.He let the ricer have a head start then just jumped past him between 30-40mph with the tires still peeling!

That ricer was cooked!

^ The Mauraders were great. I just saw one 2 days ago. However, they needed bolt-ons to be considered a "sleeper". In stock form, they are slower than most all modern V6 family sedans.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
In stock form, they are slower than most all modern V6 family sedans.
That seems to be true of a lot of cars that were fast in their day, can't keep up with a modern grocery getter.

I would have to go way back before my time and say the 1962 Plymouth Savoy/Dodge Dart equipped with the 413 Max Wedge engine. They looked like ugly grocery getter old peoples' cars but all the teasing stopped when you fired one up with the factory exhaust cut-outs opened up.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
Lincoln Mark VIII.

+1

+2

+3, and see my sig

hemi426 has a point, the maxi wedges set lot of records.. i had a 1963 chrysler 300 J. with a 500 inch maxi wedge. came out of 2nd gear at 125 mph

Last edited:
^ The Mauraders were great. I just saw one 2 days ago. However, they needed bolt-ons to be considered a "sleeper". In stock form, they are slower than most all modern V6 family sedans.
Originally Posted By: calvin1

That seems to be true of a lot of cars that were fast in their day, can't keep up with a modern grocery getter.

That is oh so true.

My 1970 LS6 Chevelle with 4 speed/3.73 gears could not run much better than a 13.3 even with real pro driver. It sure felt fast!

It's real hard to outrun a memory, though!

Hey it sat 5 of us inside! It was cramped, but we did it every weekend for 3 years!

My current cars race weight is 4400 pounds, it IS a luxo sedan, and it has run dozens of 12.8x's at 110-111 mph exactly stock on real street tires. No tuner, no alterations at all.

It would pull on that Chevelle easily in any gear at any speed.

sorry steve i was confused. i thought you were talking about only one car, i understand now you are talking about two different cars. i knew a person that had a 1970 Chevelle 396 hipo, very very fast. and it had passenger heads, not the realy fast heads. but my 300 J was alot of fun, it had no Chrysler emblems, just a 4" round 300 J emblem, that if you didnt know Chrysler you wouldnt what it is. i loved whipping up on gtos.

Dad had a 67 Biscayne COPO car. the build list was very small Dark green, black interior, 427 solid lifter 425Hp medium ratio Muncie 4spd 4.11 posi-trac heater/radio delete. Had the low dollar dog dish hubcaps. Looked like some salesmen's get around town ride.

Absolutely MASSIVE interior like a rolling airplane hanger. very comfortable, [censored] near suicide to drive in the rain.

If he would have held onto that car i think i would be busy counting my money right now instead of typing to you guys.

Originally Posted By: morris
hemi426 has a point, the maxi wedges set lot of records.. i had a 1963 chrysler 300 J. with a 500 inch maxi wedge. came out of 2nd gear at 125 mph

I'd like to know more about this car. What gear ratio did you have? When was this?

yes the gear in the rear was 2.73 : 1. it had 13 to 1 compression. it cost $50 to make a tank of gas. i had a 4.11 :1 gear set for it but never got to use it. wish i had kept it. have no idea how fast it would go. i realy think it would run out of power about 150 mph. but never found enough road to know. now i dont think of the 300 J as a sleeper. but i did whip up on 1969 ford galaxie 429, VERY BADLY. like 10 car lengths in 1/16 mile. [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back