What is your favorite quick lube place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one by the parent's place that's reasonable for for an oil change - $30ish, 10 minutes(except for the wait) and they pour Castrol. Otherwise, if I had to, I'll go to the dealer. I refuse to let Jiffy Lube touch my cars.

Originally Posted by nthach
There's one by the parent's place that's reasonable for for an oil change - $30ish, 10 minutes(except for the wait) and they pour Castrol. Otherwise, if I had to, I'll go to the dealer. I refuse to let Jiffy Lube touch my cars.

Funny you realize Jiffy Lube is a franchise just like any franchise some stores are outstanding and others are just terrible you using a broad brush.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by nthach

Funny you realize Jiffy Lube is a franchise just like any franchise some stores are outstanding and others are just terrible you using a broad brush.

All of the JLs I've been to have sucked. It's because they don't pay their employees enough to care about what they're doing...

I ended up going to a Grease N Go that carries Mobil 1 and received good reviews on yelp and google. They charged $54 which is much cheaper than most other places - VIOC/JL. I told them to specifically add only 4.0 qts (car takes 4.2) to avoid overfill. They buy their M1at Walmart across the street. He used a 5qt jug and did a good job putting in exactly 4qts.

First time I've taken my car somewhere in years. Once spring hits I'll get that Fumoto on.

Originally Posted by grampi

All of the JLs I've been to have sucked. It's because they don't pay their employees enough to care about what they're doing...

Yep, the same story is found at Oil Changers which is a small Bay Area chain.

The two independent quick lubes I've heard OK things about are older in terms of staffing.

Probably my favorite would be Ford QuickLane since they do good work, price is right at $25 for syn-blend and $50 for the full syn oil. No awkward upselling either. No issues all the times I've been there and I'm very picky. Usually get the same employee each time since I park in front of his bay. They installed two sets of tires for me and have a Hunter balancer. No car wash which is probably a positive, nice guys that work there and this is for non-Ford vehicles that I take there. One time they said it may take a little longer since they were out of the filter it normally takes and they would have to go to the auto parts store. But they found a slightly larger one that fit. Oil level right on the F mark.

VIOC - just noticed the other day the sign out front said will match competitor's coupons to $19.99. Has good yelp reviews. I was near one of their locations where I could kind of watch them do an oil change. And it seemed like they operate in military precision almost.

Walmart TLE - only been there once for an oil change. I do like how they check the oil level first, before they do anything else. A little hit and miss on some things I've had done there over the years. $19.98 for QS conventional and a Fram filter. Kind of funny they don't use ST oil and filter. Esp at that price point.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Walmart TLE - only been there once for an oil change. I do like how they check the oil level first, before they do anything else. A little hit and miss on some things I've had done there over the years. $19.98 for QS conventional and a Fram filter. Kind of funny they don't use ST oil and filter. Esp at that price point.

I'm sure they use Quaker State and Fram because they are recognized brands so it helps with marketing.

And on the subject of VIOC, they have been making somewhat of a push on the West Coast. They bought out a chain of quick lubes in SoCal a while ago(I think it was Mr. Lube, but I could be wrong). And more recently, I think they've bought out Oil Can Henry's in Portland and SF. OCH was a Castrol shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back