What is your favorite piece of meat?

My buddy has a tiny lake cabin, a group of us like to go there and spend way too much money on meat. My favorite was that tomahawk, sous vide prepped and seared medium rare. The T-Bne above it was a close second.

PXL_20210822_024250776.jpg

Pork belly because that’s where bacon comes from

A good Asian style braised pork belly (with the skin) is really good. I've had them in Japanese and Chinese restaurants.

Yakitori pork belly is pretty good, although I think it's supposed to be braised first before it's put on the grill as a finishing touch. Braising takes a few hours, although I've heard of using a pressure cooker to speed things up.

porkskewers.jpg

Or Chinese style red-braised pork belly.

chinese-braised-pork-belly-2.jpg

But honestly I think the best, most flavorful cut of beef is oxtail. I had a Louisiana style oxtail on rice at a food truck that was just amazing. Something like this. And if it's done right, I will suck on the bones to get out the flavor. And speaking of sucking out the bone, I love bone marrow.

a68diu35-720.jpg

I'm not sure why some many mention filet. It's nice and everything that they're tender, but the generally don't have maximum beefy flavor. They're bland as heck unless maybe topped with a Bernaise sauce. But a properly cooked ribeye with just sea salt and maybe pepper is amazing.

But I like offal. Not just oxtail like I previously mentioned, but also tongue. All these formerly cheap cuts of beef that had to be cooked slowly for hours also have incredibly rich flavor and a smooth texture. I'll have a lengua taco over steak any time.

Maybe if I win the lottery I'll try one of these - an A5 Wagyu prime rib. I hear it's less like eating beef and more like eating foie gras.

Prime_Rib_A5_large.jpg

Wagyu is something to try, it is very interesting, and good, but I wouldn’t want it all the time. Only need about four or five ounces as well compared to normal beef which is usually about double that.

I'm not sure why some many mention filet. It's nice and everything that they're tender, but the generally don't have maximum beefy flavor. They're bland as heck unless maybe topped with a Bernaise sauce. But a properly cooked ribeye with just sea salt and maybe pepper is amazing.

But I like offal. Not just oxtail like I previously mentioned, but also tongue. All these formerly cheap cuts of beef that had to be cooked slowly for hours also have incredibly rich flavor and a smooth texture. I'll have a lengua taco over steak any time.

Maybe if I win the lottery I'll try one of these - an A5 Wagyu prime rib. I hear it's less like eating beef and more like eating foie gras.

Prime_Rib_A5_large.jpg
I can relate to that, I bought 30+ filet mignons from restaurant depot and all the different variations, it was just blandish....T-bone with sea salt? WOW

R I B E Y E

Me too...

Key part.... Select the ribeye with a large top portion of the super tender tastiest meat.

Many ribeye cuts will have that section in a thin wrap around portion on the top side of the cut.

But when you find the cut with a large big section on top of the bottom eyelet center... You got a great ribeye then.

Ahh it normal for me to be up at this hour...

Having worked 3-11 a long time. My body is still used to that schedule.

I'm sure hope you have taken some medicine at this point. .

I understand fully how headaches can make things hard.

Had to look it up. Also called a butcher secret or hanging tenderloin
Ya. It has great beefy flavor and easy to grill or pan fry. I'll sometimes make it bistro style with an onion/parsley sauce. Unfortunately the "secret" is out so it's not a cheap as it was 25 yrs ago. This cut made an impression on me because at the time it was really cheap, comparatively lean, and had great beefy taste. My dad chuckled when I told him about it. He said I was lucky it was even for sale.

Back