What is your favorite piece of meat?

I'm not sure why some many mention filet. It's nice and everything that they're tender, but the generally don't have maximum beefy flavor. They're bland as heck unless maybe topped with a Bernaise sauce. But a properly cooked ribeye with just sea salt and maybe pepper is amazing.

But I like offal. Not just oxtail like I previously mentioned, but also tongue. All these formerly cheap cuts of beef that had to be cooked slowly for hours also have incredibly rich flavor and a smooth texture. I'll have a lengua taco over steak any time.

Maybe if I win the lottery I'll try one of these - an A5 Wagyu prime rib. I hear it's less like eating beef and more like eating foie gras.

Prime_Rib_A5_large.jpg
Have you ever done braised beef cheeks?

I agree about filet mignon, but it's hard to screw up when pan roasting and is tender w/out all the fat. Plus FM can be cut to smaller portions. My lady likes FM for this reason.

Have you ever done braised beef cheeks?

I agree about filet mignon, but it's hard to screw up when pan roasting and is tender w/out all the fat. Plus FM can be cut to smaller portions. My lady likes FM for this reason.

Not sure. Is that normally part of cabeza? Haven't tried it but I'm willing to eat almost anything.

I get that filet mignon is soft and nearly impossible to overcook to the point where it's tough. I'll even order it if it's a special (like Ruth's Chris steak sandwich). But I like the taste of beef, and even a cheap sirloin will have more flavor. Now I've also overcooked sirloin someone else who just freaked out at any pink, and I tried a piece and man it was tough.

Not sure. Is that normally part of cabeza? Haven't tried it but I'm willing to eat almost anything.

I get that filet mignon is soft and nearly impossible to overcook to the point where it's tough. I'll even order it if it's a special (like Ruth's Chris steak sandwich). But I like the taste of beef, and even a cheap sirloin will have more flavor. Now I've also overcooked sirloin someone else who just freaked out at any pink, and I tried a piece and man it was tough.
I've never seen it on the menu in the US and I have no idea if it's part of Mexican cuisine, but it's definitely part of cuisine in Europe/UK.
As for overcooked beef? Ya, I feel bad. Some people are just raised on overcooked beef. It's a shame really but it's what they are familiar with and it's their money. OTOH imagine if you actually wanted say medium rare or medium and every restaurant served your steak well done. I had a friend who was in that situation.

Slow cooked Leg of lamb (rare) covered with salt, pepper, garlic and fresh rosemary. Served with real mint jelly. Second place are beef short ribs sautéed for a couple of hours in a mixture of applejuice and believe it or not: grape jelly plus other spices I can not remember right now. Fall off the bone tender. Served on a bed of egg noodles, yum…..

Here in La. we eat just about anything that walks, crawls, hops, slithers, rolls, etc.
About 2.5 years ago my cousin was having a birthday bbq for one of his daughters. I was looking at what he was grilling and he asked if I wanted to try some Nutria. Man, if it's a meat-by product, you bet! He first gave me a piece with nothing on it but grill marks. WOW! Was it ever good! It's a semi white/dark meat that somewhat tastes similar to squirrel. It also has a texture similar to squirrel. I have eaten it a few times at other relatives and friends' houses, and I have to say that it's very good. I think most here might like it if they tried it.

prime rib and rib eye steak are my favorite beef cuts. Second would be smoked ribs and chicken. Third grilled salmon with a maple glaze.

really not fussy at all!

just my $0.02

Here in La. we eat just about anything that walks, crawls, hops, slithers, rolls, etc.
About 2.5 years ago my cousin was having a birthday bbq for one of his daughters. I was looking at what he was grilling and he asked if I wanted to try some Nutria. Man, if it's a meat-by product, you bet! He first gave me a piece with nothing on it but grill marks. WOW! Was it ever good! It's a semi white/dark meat that somewhat tastes similar to squirrel. It also has a texture similar to squirrel. I have eaten it a few times at other relatives and friends' houses, and I have to say that it's very good. I think most here might like it if they tried it.

We've got a problem with those in California. Anyone with a hunting license is free to kill one any at time as long as it's done within hunting rules such as required permission of landowners.

A well prepared ribeye is hard to beat. Same with a nice prime rib. I cooked a brisket for New Years Eve, and had friends over to share it with. Loaded with flavor. Then some well prepared pork ribs are so tasty.

I don't know that I could say that any one is my absolute favorite. But I suspect that my wife and I do enjoy a nice ribeye more than most of the others.

Think about the topic some more the only meat that I will definitely order if I see it on a menu is duck, usually with an orange glaze. A far second is Chinese Peking duck, served with the proper pancake, hoisin sauce and scallions. After that it’s a fresh ham, salt pepper and garlic done so that the skin is so crispy that it snaps in half when you bend it. God I’m hungry now!

Back