What is the worst car you ever owned?

I've been pretty lucky. For me the worst was the 2018 Forester that had six AC failures under warranty and a 7th out of warranty.

I was worried about it burning oil and it never used a drop! But the AC thing was definitely a stain on that car.

1968 Volkswagen square back. No heat, no a/c, inadequate ventalation. When driven in the rain, water would pour in under the instrument panel and flood the floor. Windows constantly fogged up. No power. Engine blew up at 80,000 miles.

A 1982 Dodge Aries K-car, bought new. Nice for 3 years, then began to fall apart. Years later I was the 3rd owner of a 1996 Chrysler Concorde. Liked it while I had it until I turned a corner at low speed and a ball joint failed. Only a week prior I drove it 250 miles on the expwy...scary.

Couple points:
The Yugo, I believe, has Fiat 127 roots. Fiat, though not durable, in those days, at least had a bit of "joie de conduire" / "piacere guidare" (sp?) 'kinda sense, happy in its own skin, happy and nice drive feel. City car limitations, yes, but still... Presumably you found this to be the case?

Re the Nissan Versa Note: in Canada we had, from '15 to '19, the Nissan Micra, the immediately previous generation to what currently is available in Europe, etc. Same powertrain as your Versa Note. I almost bought one. I found the drive quality really nice for a City/Suburban/60mph highway car. Five speed shifted nicely. EPS wasn't bad... I didn't buy it because of the rod-knock issue that Nissan strangely and seemingly never could get rid of. I set my mobile on sound-record, set it under the engine, and then varied the revs. Around 2500, if memory serves, the sound of (if ever so slight) rod knock. Brand new 2017 car... 'Gotta give your head a shake. I swear I would have bought it otherwise. Drove 'real nice. Was $CDN 9,999. 'Real good price.
Yugo had actually more roots in Zastava 101 which was based on Fiat 128.
Zastava 101 was my first car, and although older than Yugo (which I also owned) it was much better product.
I actually had worse cars then both of those. I think people have unrealistic expectations about products that were never designed to meet those expectations.

1985 Buick Skyhawk 4-door sedan. Made me swear off GM vehicles completely for 10 years.
Ironically, when I decided to buy a GM vehicle again, it was a 2002 Chev Cavalier; and it was one of the most reliable cars I’ve ever owned!

Wost: 1992 VW Jetta and it was at the dealership on almost monthly basis with various issues such as untraceable interior creeking noise, electrical, non-starting in summer months, but did well in -30C, broken spring, cracked headlight, and AC condenser leak during the first three years of warranty/ownership. Sold it during year 4 and never returned to any German vehicles since.
2nd worst: 1984 Pontiac Fiero. My first car while in high school so it'll have a special place for me. Looked good while parked. That's about it. Had issue with everything else with driving. Driving RWD in GY Gatorbacks in winter was fun.

Best: I hate to say it, but 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. Just needed one AC recharge, valve gasket replacement, and used 0.5L of oil per 5000 km OCI. Used regular oil and orange Fram filters all it's life. Engine (3.3L), brakes, and tranny never had any issues. Used for 10+ years and kids spent their first 0-10 years shuttled to various events, spilling juices and cookie crumbs with no regret, before moving onto Acura MDX family hauler.

1981 Red Plymouth Horizon TC3 hatchback 2 door automatic. That car was the biggest pile of junk ever produced. The doors wouldn't unlock in the winter if it got really cold.
My mom had its L-body twin, the Dodge Omni 024 Miser. Misery on wheels! It lasted 81k miles and was on its third clutch. How do you wipe a clutch with 51 horsepower? The pot-metal door handles kept breaking, so mom would have to climb in through the passenger side and, once, via the hatchback.

I think the thing was 1800 lbs soaking wet and had the spring rate of an inflatable bounce house. When Dad sat in the driver's seat the thing would settle by about two inches.

They saved money on the lower fiberglass valance under the bumper by not painting its inside, so it was naturally a sickly yellow. They skimped on fender liners, too, so you could see this from certain angles outside the car.

Dodge did one thing right with that car, maintaining the HVAC controls by the driver's left hand as was tradition, so the passenger couldn't interfere.

My mom suffered for 18 years, first with 1971 and 1976 Vegas, then this bodge all through the 80s. Redemption finally appeared in a 1989 Mazda 323 that was light years ahead in quality.

2008 BMW X3...transfer case failed at 43k miles, panoramic roof broke, oil leaks like the Exon Valdez at 70 k miles and various sensors failing. Wife wanted the BMW, last BMW in this household!!!! These are all well documented issues. I wasnt plauged by the crappy cooling system because I dumped the car. And some BMW enthusiusts call the above scheduled maintanence..I guess they are in denial.

It was a 92 or 93 Mercury Sable. I paid for that car twice. Just about everything broke including the frame. You would not believe the list of items that went bad.

2005 gmc canyon that i bought brand new. after 2 weeks owning it, they had to replace the entire exhaust system. i was at the repair shop every 2 months from 2005 to 2010. never went to the repair shop again since i bought my first made in japan mazda. i buy made in japan mazda vehicles excusively now.
If only they hadn’t discontinued the 6. If only they made a 4x4 truck.

Between my wife and I we have owned 5 VW's, 3 Honda's and 1 Ford. I guess the "worst" one would be the 2000 Ford Taurus but it is what it is a 212K miles.

I didn't own it, but my gf of 8 years had a TJ Wrangler that was a constant headache for me.

My parents 98 Blazer, bought in 03, another miserable ownership experience. That Blazer converted my diehard GM dad into a Honda owner.

Back