What is the thickest oil you've ran in the winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day I ran 20W50 in a mid 80s 318 V8 with crankshaft seal leaks all winter and summer!

Otherwise it leaked 1 quart of 10W30 every 100 miles! LOL!

20W-50 in a few 4bbl. 318 mid 80's Dodge Diplomats / Gran Furies, as this is what the owners manual called for...

Originally Posted By: copcarguy
20W-50 in a few 4bbl. 318 mid 80's Dodge Diplomats / Gran Furies, as this is what the owners manual called for...

I did a few ride alongs with the CHiPpies in So Cali back in 1999-2000. I remember this one older guy telling me that the Dodge Diplomats were the slowest car the CHP ever had. Said you you'd be lucky to hit 100, even after dropping it off a cliff
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JC1
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
5W50 but I don't think winters here really count.

+1, but ran it during Canadian winters in my 98 Sienna. Had no issues.

A dealer put it in my corolla one winter, gas mileage was noticeable drop besides that no issues.

Had an old overheated chevy 350 in a C10 that had busted rings, and get a steady diet of Lucas and "Smoke-B-Gone"... sometimes straight 30. It always started even down to -25*F

15w40 in the Harley at 23F. No difference vs warm.
10w30 + 1qt LOS to to low 20s, thats 29cst @ 100c, well into 70wt range, jeep had no clue.

Dad used SAE40 in 10F weather. Came out with a bucket of hot water every morning
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: copcarguy

I did a few ride alongs with the CHiPpies in So Cali back in 1999-2000. I remember this one older guy telling me that the Dodge Diplomats were the slowest car the CHP ever had. Said you you'd be lucky to hit 100, even after dropping it off a cliff
smile.gif

Meh Car Monday - The Dodge Diplomat
(language warning - LINK )

Quote:
Power came from either the bulletproof Slant 6, which gave it performance that puts the ‘lack’ in lackluster: 21 seconds to 60 MPH

As thick as you can get. 50 years in a location that got frosts but never dropped to zero, and over 10 years here where we might get minus 3 a few times a year. Nothing a 20W can't handle.

Back in the 1970's and early 1980's, 5W-xx because that's all you could get. When Esso [Exxon] came out with ArcticLube 0W-30 around 1985 I switched to that, ran Petro-Canada 0W-30 after that and since the mid-90's Mobil1 0W-40 in everything.

So, "ever" would be 5W-xx

Penrite 20W60. Knew nothing about oil and the idiot at the parts store "looked the car up" and said that's what it took. Takes 30 grade.

Ran like absolute [censored] but nothing blew up. And that's going up three grades!

Many eons ago I had a 1968 Nova with a 327 that smoked so bad that I could have used it to kill the mosquitoes within a 1 mile block. I used KENDALL NITRO 70 weight oil in the engine until I had a chance to pull it and rebuild it. That is some very thick oil!

STP-badged 35W-70 and Penrite 40W-70 in an Austin 1800 with what I later found to be a "holy" piston. Anything thinner just went straight out the exhaust.

Probably 15W-40 in a small block Chevy. I don't think I've used 20W-50 during the winter. I used straight 30wt last winter, did fine. Going to see how Havoline 10W-40 works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back