What is the strangest engine swap you've seen?

I had one of those 65 corvairs with the toronado drivetrain, spooky.
the most odd one for me was my friends dad, a 62 fairlane with a 58 pontiac drivetrain. And he is a ford fanatic

I'm genuinely curious to see how this would look. Sounds like a massive downgrade though.
No photos and tight against the firewall, (look at a 4.3 olds diesel fwd Cadillac for an OEM example)
good thing no spark plugs but I would hate to replace an injector
guy ran it probably 4 years and claimed 40mpg+ but got tired of it, lost track of it 10 years ago, accelerated like a freight train but was a steady highway runner.

And it’s not the only 350-> olds diesel swap I’m aware of, one of the other forums I belonged to had swapped olds diesels into both 1993 Suburbans (RWD & stick) and 6.2 1994 Roadmaster RWD and stick.

All were 30-40mpg affairs made in the run up to the expensive fuel circa 2008.

I myself during last fuel crisis thought (daydreamed) of converting my 5 speed RWD Diesel suburban to FWD stick, to make a poor man’s hybrid, lol.

Back in the late 80's my friend bought a '72 Firebird with a blown engine. His brother, decent mechanic but a bit of a nut, dropped a Ford 250 straight six in it and paired it up to a two speed Power glide with two unmuffled straight pipes out the back. Poor thing was an absolute dog and sounded a bit strange but it got great gas mileage. We drove that thing all over the place.

Subaru Kei car engine into a Ford Taurus jelly bean + CVT transmission
Geo Metro 3 cyl engine into another Ford Taurus with a manual transmission

Education funding and your tax dollar at work.

I believe that it has been done plenty of times, but I saw a Mercury Bobcat with a 302 in it. I couldn’t get past it being a Mercury Bobcat and it wasn’t very nice looking, but it was interesting. I also remember a Chevy Luv with a 350 in it cruising up and down the street in Clarksville, AR. on Friday and Saturday nights. This was from my days as a teenager when cruising was still a thing. The Chevy Luv looked good and had nice white paint with blue stripes. I’m sure there are plenty of details that I can’t recall, but I remember thinking how great that little truck looked.
We used to refer to the Mustang II as the "Pintostang", and the Mustang II was available with 4-, 6-, and -8 cylinder engines (if I recall correctly), so although a 302 in a Pinto/Bobcat sounds weird, it was probably a reasonably straightforward swap.

Let's try to keep this limited to automotive engines and automobiles. Also, I'd rather exclude the LS/Vortec engine because they get put in anything and everything.

Probably the strangest one I've seen was a Cadillac 500 cu in V8 swapped into a 1987 Dodge D150 pickup. This was about ten years ago and the truck belonged to one of my customers at the time.
And I was going to mention the 420cc Harbor Freight engine Robot Cantina is playing with in a Honda Insight

5.0 Mustang engines into BMW E30 chassis.

There are a few more

@DriveHard car becomes nose-heavy and is hard to "hook" on really any tire with all the power and forward weight distribution, am I right? I think someone also shoehorned a BMW V12 into it. Sometimes people put BMW V8s ?

*Side note.. you said EXCLUDE LS swaps but.. man, they just make cars with problem engines.. better.

This was an interesting one in my opinion.

6ED1626E-BE94-4FA1-85AA-343E2E35238F.jpeg

My uncle had a Fiero and swapped the iron duke for a Cadillac 4.5 V8. This was the early 2000s, so Northstars were expensive and not fully sorted out while the later 4.5/4.9 were plentiful and most of the bugs had been worked out.

One of my favorites is a Detroit V series diesel in a Square body Chevy. I love how they sound and they fit pretty well.
4-71, 6-71, 8V-71. I have seen one of each.

Back