What is the strangest engine swap you've seen?

Y'all have come up with some good ones so far. The 360 Dodge in a trans am is...well it's definitely odd. Keep em coming 😁

Its been a few years a 5 or 7 cylinder radial airplane engine in a rat rod. Trying to see around the height of the cylinders must have been interesting.
Wasn't that in hot rod magazine? '41 Plymouth truck maybe?

I
1966 Ford pickup with the 330 and TH400 from an early 442. The little 330 Olds had surprising power, and he used some kind of Wyoming Tech modification sheet for the trans that made it get half sideways when it hit second.
I've seen a 64 F100 with a 455 olds in it.

Back in high school I bought a 72 cougar with a blown up 351 Cleveland in it. Sold it to another student that had a mercury something,I think it was a Monterey but don't quote me. He wrecked the mercury. Pulled the FE out and put it in the cougar. I think it was a 390. But mercury had some odd sizes bach then like 406,410 etc.

I remember it being an FE...

There was a company that used to buy up Volvo 740 sedans with dead turbo engines and swap in modified Ford small-block V-8’s. Always though those were neat!

Back in the 90's, shortly after GM discontinued the Chevy Sprint (small, 3 or 5 hatchback) a guy in my city successfully married a 5 door Sprint to the engine of from a late 80's-early 90's Acura Integra.

He then created a modified badge and called it the "Sprintegra".
Considering how light those cars were, it probably flew with that 4 cyl 1.8 (usually equipped with a 3 cyl 1.0).
People were putting hot Mazda engines in those Kia-made Festivas too.

I guess this was fairly common, but freaked me out when I saw it - a fellow from high school had swapped a Corvair flat-6 into an air-cooled Beetle.

It had a custom cage protruding out the back to accommodate the extra length.

Being from NZ, all our engine swaps will seem weird. Best in our area when I was a teenager was a Fordson pickup with a flathead V8. Done as a bet, because of course it would be impossible to fit a V8 in the snub nose Fordson. So the engine gearbox rear end was done dragster style and fitted in the rear....the radius rods were brought up to the front engine mount, and a tow coupling fitted...then a crossmember fitted with a towball. Six straight pipes out the back, it was really cool to my eyes.

I had a CA Bedford van with a Vanguard Six engine and gearbox, Vauxhall Cresta rear end. American viewers will know that engine from the Triumph TR6. One of my customers had her Volvo 244 engine fail down country in a remote area. She stayed in town a few days and then drove home after the local garage had fitted another engine. What they had fitted was a Nissan LD28. These are a diesel version of the 6 cyl L series engines. I don't know why they fitted that, maybe it was all they had, but it was a good conversion, and they ran it for many years with hardly any problems.

Not strange really, but dude in high school had a courier with a 289, flipped the exhaust manifolds and ran the exhaust in front of the motor…

Also not even a swap but a Mazda Rotary pickup.

Yeah, I advocated for a higher performance one, but $.

Still, it would bark tires into 2nd, and a stock 240D won’t bark tires on polished concrete so it was an improvement .
I had one someone stuck in a 70 elcamino. 7.7-1 compression,tiny cam, 624 heads that don't flow,no nickle block so the bores wear fast. Put a set of 186 heads and a comp 268 cam in it. Ran much better but the low stall converter and 2.73 gears still killed any low end power.

Y'all have come up with some good ones so far. The 360 Dodge in a trans am is...well it's definitely odd. Keep em coming 😁
Putting a Mopar engine in a GM doesn’t seem to rile anyone up that much. Now when someone puts a GM engine in a Mopar, all hell breaks loose! THAT’S BLASPHEMY! (I happen to agree with that, but I’m biased.) 😉🍻

I believe that it has been done plenty of times, but I saw a Mercury Bobcat with a 302 in it. I couldn’t get past it being a Mercury Bobcat and it wasn’t very nice looking, but it was interesting. I also remember a Chevy Luv with a 350 in it cruising up and down the street in Clarksville, AR. on Friday and Saturday nights. This was from my days as a teenager when cruising was still a thing. The Chevy Luv looked good and had nice white paint with blue stripes. I’m sure there are plenty of details that I can’t recall, but I remember thinking how great that little truck looked.

Back