What is the "secret" behind Mr. Clean Magic Eraser?

Starting to clean a interior on a Mercedes, and a normal brush, rag, and soap is not getting it done (primarily on vinyl/ synthetic leather surfaces). Looking at using a Magic Eraser and hoping to get some BITOG feedback.
Besides Magic Erasers you might think of using saddle soap on the leather in that Mercedes interior. I did that on my BMW and the leather looks new again.

Fiebing's Saddle Soap?
I'm using "Carr & Day & Martin's Belvoir Glycerine Leather & Saddle Soap" for use on shoes, bags, saddles, harness, leather coats and other leather articles. From Great Dunmow, England. By appointment to Her Majesty the Queen.

It looks like a glycerine soap. You apply it with a wrung out damp cloth.

It did a nice job of cleaning and enhancing the appearance of my leather coat and the BMW's leather interior.

Last edited:
I use Magic Eraser to clean the inside of the windshield and it completely removes the film, then I follow up with Sprayway glass cleaner. It does not scratch the glass at all but does a great job cleaning and no more glare when driving at night.

They're definitely magic. However contain carcinogenic materials

They were developed based on the engineering behind nano technology which allows for materials to be made into microscopicly fine abrasives which work incredibly well, but also may create future problems for us. A lot of what is being released into the environment under the term “nano“ is still a mystery in terms of Long term impacts that we may or may not see in the future. It is true that ecosystems also create their own nano materials in nature, but as with so many things that are created ecologically, they biodegrade after their short life purpose in the environment has been fulfilled and are not harmful. This is not unlike the natural biocides that plants produce which becomes fertilizer and food once the plant dies at the end of its growing season rendering those toxins benign The first time I used one of these Magic eraser sponges, I was speechless at how well it worked. And then, a few moments later, I wondered what had to have happened to make something that allowed me to remove the scum off of a swimming pool so much easier than before. Will synthetically produced nano particles become the future asbestos? It’s not certain and I have no data to show this currently, but ‘word to the wise’, when using any of these products and this also includes microfibre towels, treat them with more respect than we are used to treating more traditional materials that we have worked with to clean up our homemade messes in the past.

They were developed based on the engineering behind nano technology which allows for materials to be made into microscopicly fine abrasives which work incredibly well, but also may create future problems for us. A lot of what is being released into the environment under the term “nano“ is still a mystery in terms of Long term impacts that we may or may not see in the future. It is true that ecosystems also create their own nano materials in nature, but as with so many things that are created ecologically, they biodegrade after their short life purpose in the environment has been fulfilled and are not harmful. This is not unlike the natural biocides that plants produce which becomes fertilizer and food once the plant dies at the end of its growing season rendering those toxins benign The first time I used one of these Magic eraser sponges, I was speechless at how well it worked. And then, a few moments later, I wondered what had to have happened to make something that allowed me to remove the scum off of a swimming pool so much easier than before. Will synthetically produced nano particles become the future asbestos? It’s not certain and I have no data to show this currently, but ‘word to the wise’, when using any of these products and this also includes microfibre towels, treat them with more respect than we are used to treating more traditional materials that we have worked with to clean up our homemade messes in the past.
You know aliens visited us. This is where technology is coming from

I hated magic erasers when they first came out because the fell apart and didn't really clean anything well. Then I learned that I was using them the wrong way! Hold it under the tap to wet it, wring it out, and it will easily remove gunk from windshields, walls, etc. Like wet sanding but much less aggressive.

They do turn into microscopic particles during use and seem to leave a film on stuff. I don't like using them too much for that reason.

This is one of the stains I am working on, and have had zero success. Have tried Magic Eraser, Oxi Clean laundry cleaner (with dry stain removal power), and Dawn. So far nothing is working.....

Only thing I have not tried is white vinegar.

PXL_20210930_223147393.jpg

Doing more research... used TSP to clean aluminum siding before painting it... going to stop on my way home from work tonight and purchase some TSP.

Back