What is The Most "Gimmicky" Gimmick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about posters for my garage ( no jokes about how men don't put art in the garage, please). I would like to put up posters of the most outrageous claims by engine oil companies. I'm reminded of the Valvoline commercial where they are making fun of other engine oil companies. Link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bZZl9Rr_8E

Anyone have pictures or know where I can get stuffs like this?

The most "gimmicky" gimmick?

fram_high_mileage_oil_filter_0.png

Valvoline doesnt even touch the Duralube and Slick 50 ads of the 80s, where they drain the oil and claim it coats your parts with PTFE. That was some gimmicky stuff.

To follow up the 4ball wear test, if you can find a Castrol GTX poster that proclaims "90% of all wear occurs at start up!" ..that would be on my list of legally correct sucker slogans.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
I tore this out of one of my Mustang magazines and scanned it to jpeg just to share in this thread.

FRAMad.jpg

+1

Mobil had a really good series of adds down here during the 80s.

Picture a car (VC Commodore ?) belting along a rural road.

"To prove how tough our oil is, we drove from Sydney to Perth...and back...and back...aaaand back..AAAANNNNDDD BACK.

[image of Oz, and a line going backwards and forwards across it 5 times]

Mobil Super Drop, with 20,000 kilometer reserves" (was a dino 20W-50)

Picture the same ad, same(?) car

"To prove how tough our oil is, we drove from Sydney to Perth...and back....and back....and back....and back...and back......and back....and back....aaaand back..AAAANNNNDDD BACK.

[image of Oz, and a line going backwards and forwards across it 10 times]

Mobil One, with 40,000 kilometer protection"

(can't recall if it was the 5W-20, or they had gone to 15W-50 - in think the latter, as I used to make a synth blend with Duckhams 15W-50 around then)

If you catch a Mobil tech on a good day, and you let him know that the car is out of warrarnty will still admit to 40,000km and 1 year (both requirements)

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
I tore this out of one of my Mustang magazines and scanned it to jpeg just to share in this thread.

HAHAHHAH! That's fantastic. This one is totally going on my wall.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I hate to sound like I am taking Fram's side(I ain't) but they sorta stole the idea from over-the-road truck filters that have TBN restoring additves in them. Not a bad concept for trucks running long intervals but surely a gimmick in the auto segment.

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

I hate to sound like I am taking Fram's side(I ain't) but they sorta stole the idea from over-the-road truck filters that have TBN restoring additves in them. Not a bad concept for trucks running long intervals but surely a gimmick in the auto segment.

When you use an oil that has 7-12 TBN already, and use it for any sane interval, I donno why you would wanna put this goop in your oil filter. And why is it for "High mileage" anyway? Is the logic behind this that higher mileage engines have more cylinder wear, so more blow-by so more combustion byproduct contamination, so it needs a booster to deal with acids?? I really don't get it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back