What is The Most "Gimmicky" Gimmick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast
I tore this out of one of my Mustang magazines and scanned it to jpeg just to share in this thread.

My favorite part of it is in the lower right corner - Fram: The Dirt Stops Here.

Priceless. I like 'dirt stopping' ability in my air filter, but I'm not in the habit of pouring sand down the crankcase.

-Spyder

How about the magnet that goes on your fuel line to break up the fuel molecules to provide more complete combustion, better mileage, and less emissions? They have been selling it for years. Why doesn't the BAR or another government agency stop this kind of blatant false advertizing?

Originally Posted By: another Todd
How about the magnet that goes on your fuel line to break up the fuel molecules to provide more complete combustion, better mileage, and less emissions? They have been selling it for years. Why doesn't the BAR or another government agency stop this kind of blatant false advertizing?

Oh yeah! And what ever happened to those "tornado" thing? that went into your intake? That were supposed to mix up the air before it went into the combustion chamber.

This has got be the biggest gimmick. I remember seeing commercials for this stupid thing many YEARS ago.

tornadoair2.jpg

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
This has got be the biggest gimmick. I remember seeing commercials for this stupid thing many YEARS ago.

tornadoair2.jpg

Yes! That's it! Those things were awesome. The little animations they had on the TV were fantastically bad. Little tornadoes in your intake, running around into the cylinders.

Tornado? Fuel Injection or Carburetor doesn't matter. The plates would stop any eddies or swirl.
Most especially at part throttle.

Interestingly, some 'mechanic's shows', no doubt paid to introduce this product or test it, got improved mileage with it.
Of course, we all COULD. If we install any gizmo that 'improves mileage' and we start keeping track of mileage, we get improved mileage. It's because we expect better mileage, drive like we should to get better mileage, and 'wa-lah' we get better mileage.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
GTX Startup was really good oil, if I could still buy it, I would. That was one oil that impressed me and not many do, including Pennzoil Ultra.

I've spoken to one of the development chemists, and some testers (other oil companies), who have stated categorically that the concept of start-up is real, verifiable, and it works.

Down here, it's sold as Magnatec, in a variety of viscosities and basestocks, and is quite popular.

Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
lol I remember see a commercial for the tornado, where they had a car on the dyno and it picked up 15hp lol.

i assume they cut away the instant they removed the shoprag prior to installing the tornado!

What a shocker, the makers of the orange can leading the most gimmicky gimmick thread.

I'd have to add a vote for the Fram 'High Mileage' Filter. A higher priced orange can, with a magic oil life extending lozenge. What more can one ask?

Oh wait, there was the "Double Guard" with teflon treated media. Discontinued now though, so I can't vote for it.

POWER PILLS!!!
mpgcaps2.jpg

MORE POWER! MORE MPG! MADE WITH GENUINE CHEETAH SWEAT and RARE VIETNAMESE TWO STEP VIPER OIL!
If you order now we will also send you a genuine faux pearl ring!

Yep, agree pretty much.

When I started, things were typed in triplicate, had a distribution list stapled to it, and did the rounds in order of input requirement, need to know, and rank...then got filed, in filing cabinets...finite filing cabinets.

what's wrong with a paperless office?
i like it. we only print one copy of reports now, and that's all that's in the hard file. we have files from the early 00's that are 2 feet thick for small jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back