What is the mileage you normally run an OCI?

15,000+

I like to run 5,000 miles as it is easy to remember and I think a reasonable use of the Syn oil I run.
4k miles on my work truck (that puts it at about 0% oil life - after just over 3 months) using synthetic but I had conventional only the first 190k.
3-4k miles on my 84 Cutlass and 83 Caprice depending on how many long trips (commute to work is only a few miles) and the temperature.

I did go as much as 7500 miles in the Caprice once when I was driving it 100 miles a day.

10k OCI with synthetic oil on newer vehicles once they hit the 150K mark bring it down to 7.5K also synthetic because of oil consumption issues

5,000 miles, I used to try to extend it to 7,500 but for some reason oil consumption seemed to increase after 5,000 miles.

So its 5,000 miles using whatever synthetic is on sale, with whatever filter is on sale.

Right now I’m still working off my autozone clearance stash of RGT, Valvoline Modern Engine, and Quaker State.

I do 6 month changes, which is easy for me to remember. My driving generally runs 800 mi./month, so 4800-5000 for an OCI in that time.

Synthetic oil (dexos1 spec), so I'm probably throwing money away. But I can't see going a whole year/9600 miles; and I'd have trouble remembering 7500/9.5 months.

15,000+

I like to run 5,000 miles as it is easy to remember and I think a reasonable use of the Syn oil I run.
I've been doing 10k oci for the last 15 years with no problems.

Probably around 6K miles. On my '19 Crosstrek, I changed at 2500, 6000, 11, 250. I am now at 19500 and have 8,250 on this change. I took a sample and sent it to Blackstone. Hopefully they will say change at 10,000 OCI

Depends on the vehicle.
The avalanche, 5k miles which is about once a year.
The elantra mpfi 5k-7.5 k miles.
The Mazda DI. 2k miles winter/3k summer.

Last edited:
I don't even know.

The 02 Ranger was probably in excess of 12K on the filter last time, I know it was over a year since I had changed it. Its oil leaks have gotten to where it needs enough top off oil that I feel a "double" (or when I remember) OCI is good enough. Synthetic oil though, so I guess the mileage is not that crazy.

I've only had my Explorer for about 1500 miles. I did an oil change shortly after getting it with synthetic oil and a Wix filter. The old oil came out fine, but was pitch black and the filter was rusty, so I'll probably do at least one short OCI, then do 4-5k after that. Oil still shows full with 1500+ miles. I want to protect the dumb assortment of timing chains, so it will probably get some sort of regular OCI, plus it doesn't leak.

I don't worry so much about the mileage I worry about weather so its generally April and October. But this year with the lock down its been June the next on will be in April.

I've went to 5000 in theory on all of my vehicles. I say in theory because it usually ends up being closer to 6k before I actually get to them.
Our Impala is changed then due to its age. My Colorado gets that OCI due to it taking a long time to make it to 5000 miles. I change the oil in my Encore because I read here or the Buick forum that you need to change the oil more often with a turbo.

Right now it's about every six months as there's a lot of short trips involved and the car is still new to me, purchased in July of 2020. Not knowing the care it received, I'd like to do a couple of short OCIs. After the next change I'll probably move to once per year, or about every 5,000 miles.

Even though much of my driving is local, and consists of trips less than five miles, about once per month I've been taking a longish highway drive of about fifty miles or so, just to get everything fully warmed and to help burn off contaminants in the oil.

Why don't you like synthetic?
Just I haven’t found it to be any more superior than regular. When I got my truck the engine had some sludge in it very little the conventional cleaned it up just fine no issues and it hasn’t returned. My grandmas car had sludge used synthetic it cleared it out nicely so I don’t feel there is an added benefit to using a synthetic unless it is in a newer engine which requires synthetic.

Generally 5K. It is a long enough interval to perform a tire rotation at the same time.

The truck may end up being 3k. I try to change oil at least twice a year and since the truck accumulates mileage so slowly, 6 months may only be 3K.

8k down to 7k. 3.7L F-150. Deliberately ran IOLM almost all the way down (9,200 mi) and tested. The oil was barely OK. Too close to failure for comfort. 25-30% oil life remaining is about right.

Also use EP oil now that it’s out of warranty .

Back