What is the mileage you normally run an OCI?

I am anywhere from 3000 to 10000 plus on my semi truck. My daily driver gets done in April and October. Usually not many miles on it but my commute is short and it’s an old carbureted 350 so I figure 6 months is safe. I run conventional 10w30.

I do bi-annual typically, which when I was driving more, would be between 5000-7500 OCI. Now, its maybe 3000-5000.

The winter beater gets annual changes, which is probably around 3000 OCI.

Garage Queen every 6 months
My 30 mile one way tripper 3-5K (depends on how I feel)
My other 2 short trippers every 3K

10k or when oil reaches a certain darkness. Coincidentally that's looking like about 5k this OCI which is sort of strange. Maybe fuel dilution due to colder weather? I dunno. :rolleyes:

My Subaru is at the manufacturer's recommendation. However, I think I'm just going to switch to one year changes with supertech synthetic HM. I do 10k miles a year with the way the world works now and everything I've seen on this engine shows that it's more than capable of a 10K drain interval.

My pickup gets a once a year oil change. Usually that comes to 5k miles. I may switch to a single filter change a year and it loses a quart every 300 miles out of the right side head gasket.

The Jeep has averaged an oil change every 150 miles over the past 4 years.

4K miles in my 88 E-150.
5K miles 08 Liberty CV-19 adjusted from 6K miles.
5K miles 2016 Rubicon.

Don't put enough miles on my GMC or Lucerne so I change them annually in the spring.

The wife's caddy's engine is still under warranty and the mech wants to change it every 3k until the warranty is done, not sure what will happen after that, she likes him and goes by what he says so no sense in jumping in, at least she takes care of her car and you know what they say, if mama ain't happy..........

For the two 98 Chevrolet trucks, I go 3,000 miles on an oil change but that usually takes over a year to happen.

On the Mustang I was originally going by the OLM but recently changed to every 5,000 mile changes.

On the Cavalier I go every 5,000 miles and on the 70 Monte I don't really have a specific interval since it hardly ever gets driven. Probably every few years.

I find it amazing that I'm the only poster in this thread that adjusts OCI based on UOA.

Of course if previous posters change and use different oils at different times, then 5,000 miles is a safe and conservative interval.

I find it amazing that I'm the only poster in this thread that adjusts OCI based on UOA.

Of course if previous posters change and use different oils at different times, then 5,000 miles is a safe and conservative interval.
Safe, reasonable, easy to remember!

UOAs are mostly useful for monitoring the condition of the oil for dirt, fuel and coolant. The rest is more for the sport of it. I would only do UOAs if there was some indicator of a problem. I do 10K OCIs (have for the last 43 years) and call it a day.

Daughter's Prius 6500 Approx HM Oil
Son's Altima 6500 Approx HM oil
Hyundai Elantra 5000
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid 7500

Either Pennzoil PUP, Mobil 1EP some QSUD

BMW/Mini: 10k miles or 12 months- BMW TPT
Jeep: 5k miles or 12 months- Edge

Back