What is the mileage you normally run an OCI?

I simply go by the OLM in wife's 06 Solara. That usually hits around 4500 miles.

Use to go by the OLM in my 07 Silverado, which typically was around 6000 miles. Now I just change it at 5000 miles. Easy to remember on the 5's.

10k miles
nice round OCI on the odometer and follows VW for my Golf Sportwagen. You can say I 'juice' it with LC20 (I use LC and RLI bio-plus to hopefully prevent carbon buildup and provide a warm fuzzy feeling)

Once a year, whatever the miles end up being by that time. On the 530i it's about 4K miles a year, on the Q5 it's about 7-8K miles a year. On the Charger it's about 1-2K a year.

I don't set anything in stone too much. The Genesis calls for 7,500 miles. I probably do 6,500 on average. The Camry doesn't see high miles, so probably around 4,000 miles. The Jeep doesn't see high miles either. The previous oil change was synthetic so I went just over 2 years and 5,000 miles. This one is conventional so probably 3,000 miles.

10,000 kms (6000 miles) with M1, which is an easy interval to remember, on our daily drivers. 5000 kms on the '05 Park Ave (sort of a garage queen but used/enjoyed on long trips), which will be 1.5-2 years or so. Not putting on many kms these days, due to the you-know-what.

Last edited:
I wish I could do 10k with the same peace of mind as 5k. (costs half as much in the long term)

I believe every full synth oil will perform excellently for 5k, but not necessarily for 10k.

Have not done any long OCI + uoa to know how far I can push it. Reports I've seen from others with my same vehicle show that 7500 is about the limit.

Even when I did a 5K run on PUP 5W30, the UOA I received showed that TBN was near the lower limit (but not < 1).. Maybe TBN does not wear linearly on the lower end?

It really does depend on the application. My Accord I typically change out at 5K / 1 year / whenever the maintenance minder gets to 15%, whichever comes first. Usually I hit 1 year before I hit 5K miles in it.

The Jetta is every 5K or 6 months, whichever comes first.

My moms GMC Terrain gets an oil change every 3500 to 4000 miles / 6 months, but she usually hits the mileage before the 6 month time limit.

Varies by vehicle and the type of driving.
The Chrysler 2.4l multiair, every 6,000-7,000 miles (mostly highway)
The Ram 5.7l, every 6 months (mostly short trips with an occasional jump on the interstate for a beer run)
The buick 1.4l, every 5,000 miles (because it's an oil destroying GM 1.4l turbo)
All Pennzoil Platinum.

I alternate between 5k and 10k, although as the miles rack up I'm starting to just do 5k. Nice round number, easy to tell when it's due--on a new to me car I'll short change so as to get it on "my" preferred schedule.

My FWD's "need" a rotation every 5k so that gets done at the same time.

5000 miles on the Town and Country, as it is the kid hauler, short tripper. Havoline 6 quart conventional
6000-7500 on the Rouge, as it has a 5 day/week, 12 mile one way commute. I just did a 4000 mile change, as Covid had me using it for short trips. Valvoline Synthetic.
The Jeep is annually before storage for the winter. Cheap 15w-40: Rotella, typically.

I like 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Currently my daily driver only gets about 4000 miles a year with almost exclusive short around-town driving and I live in the midwest with hot humid summers and winters that occasionally get snow and temps in the 20s-30s. So I change twice a year, around May and November. This way I get a fresh filter and oil in about a month before the brutal weather hits. So yeah, only 2000 mile OCI, but oil and filters are cheap. My wife's car gets much more driving, still only about 10k miles per year, and I still do every 6 months, but with 5000 mile OCI. If we drove more miles and more highway miles, I'd probably extend it out to 6000 mi.

Back