What is the ideal amount of ZDDP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

buster, Thanks for reposting the whole thing your post made more sense with the origanal post restored!!

My thoughts on AW/EP additives is a little skewed right now

No problem. I am too a bit confused at this point on what to look for. I guess it's just safe to say that the only way to know how an oil is doing in the real world is to have it sampled, period. No other way around it.

Motul with a good wrap again. And here it's far cheaper than Redline. The thick/thin viscosity, high/low ZDDP, Boron no Boron etc is all getting a little messy. I'm starting too think I'm less sure which oil to use than ever before!

Just stick with GC
grin.gif
and you'll never have to be confused again.......unless you decide you want to try Amsoil S3K 5W30...or M1 0W40...or Motul 8100 E-Tech or...

Sprintman Motul is an excellent oil. It is big in Germany. You have to ask what is in each product though. SOme of their oils are PAO, SOme are PAO+Ester Blends, One is Synthetic Blend and then they have 100% Ester base stock oils. Some are intended for raceing some for street use. THey make single weights and multi-weights. If I lived outside the USA and wanted an oil full of esters they would be my first choice.

offtopic.gif
The only problem I have with Motul is their French connection. I have my reservations about supporting their economy with all the harassment they have given my country over the years. When you stop and figure that we have bailed them out financaily at least twice. Them and British demands at the treaty of Versi(sp) caused WWII and their ungreatful attitude towards the USA just **** 's me off. They hate tourists but will surely take their money. I just try to stay away from anything French!

quote:

I just try to stay away from anything French!

I'm with you. I don't find their culture as appealing as some make it out to be. I've been to 5 star french restaurants. It was good but very over-rated like anything else Frency. The problem with the French is that they are jealous that they are not the center of attention in world afairs. They are full of themselves. My french friend told me this himself. He doesnt like them either and he is from their.
cheers.gif

[ September 14, 2003, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I think buster has brought up important information in this post. I once heard that viscosity improvers can potentially be used up in only 500 miles of driving. Of course, it depends on how your driving is and viscosity improvers are better today then they were in the past. But what protects your engine in extreme conditions is the Zinc and also Moly in oils like Schaeffer's. We need to protect the cat converters but we also need to have protection for the engine, so I don't think we should go too low with ZDDP.

I like to use automotive oil in lawnmowers and small engines. Is the ZDDP levels in these oils too low for these engines? Maybe diesel oils would have enough ZDDP?

buster, Thanks for reposting the whole thing your post made more sense with the origanal post restored!!

My thoughts on AW/EP additives is a little skewed right now. In the past more organic metalic AW/EP add's always meant extended protection. Now I am just woundering how low we can go and still offer good protection in the event of a system malfuntion.

Motul were an American company but bought out many years ago. If I can't find 8100 X-Cess 5W40 soon then M1 Supersyn 5W50 would be OK for this summer, but I'm pretty confused to be perfectly honest. The only I won't be using after trialling 5W30 Redline and 5 & 10W30 Pennzoil will be anything 30 weight, the noise alone puts me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back