What is the European definition of "full synthetic"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Les:
I read where the newly introduced(to north America) 5w-40 Castrol Elixion synthetic diesel oil is really a rebadged Vanellus product.

The Elixion sold in North America is 5w30.

quote:

Originally posted by Idrinkmotoroil:
I think it is entirely possible that this new to North America 0w-30 German made oil is an updated oil to the SLX formula. It could be based on their newer higher tech oils, only mixed for 0w-30 viscosity for the North American market only.

I suppose this is possible. However, I still can't get around the fact the A3 Formula SLX is the only oil listed by Castrol as being GREEN in color, and the German Syntec 0w30 is GREEN.

quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
In some markets SLX is a service only product, not available for retail sale.

That is correct. I have the Polish Castrol 2003 Sales Brochure in front of me. Formula SLX, TWS Motorsport, and TXT Softec Plus are service oils, meaning they're not available at retail outlets but only used by dealerships and other fancy auto shops. For retail, there is Formula RS, GTX and GTD Magnatec, GTX, and some generic Castrol oils.

SLX has not been replaced by Formula RS. In fact, there are now several variations of the SLX. In addition to the original SLX, there is SLX LL 01FE developed for BMW Longlife 01 FE specs, there is SLX Longlife II developed for VAG, and there is SLX GM developed for european GM cars. I posted the comparison of various SLX oil specs a couple of months ago here in this forum.

cheers.gif

[ September 03, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

Quattro Pete,

VERY useful information...thanks for updating us. According to the Castrol Deutschland website, Formula RS is featured for "Drive-On Service" which I assume is their version of quick lube.

[ September 03, 2003, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Formula RS is featured for "Drive-On Service" which I assume is their version of quick lube.

What does it say in German for "Drive-On-Service" on the German Castrol site? I can't find what you mean...

M'man,

Are you getting the "Drive On Service" popup when you first log into the site? Apparently, "Drive On Service" is related to an auto club. Where the Castrol RS fits in I don't know.

[ September 03, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Holy Cow their white papers read like add copy for a chest expander!

[ September 03, 2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

Herr Scholte,

I did not know this was about a pop-up ad. I have my browser set to block all pop-ups (including sponsors!).
grin.gif
But yes, I enabled pop-up and I've seen it now.

DRIVE-ON-SERVICE is a limited offer by Castrol Germany and the AvD (similar to AAA). You will receive the following free when purchasing 5 liters of RS 0W-40:

-1x roadside assistence
-damage evaluation after acciden
-legal assistence
-traffic information service
-discount for driver safety training
-membership discount

It's basically a ploy to gain new members for the AvD with a temporary free membership.
tongue.gif
I hope this clarifies it.

[ September 03, 2003, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back