What is the consensus on Rotella T 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the general consensus on Rotella T 5w40 synthetic?

What would be a safe OCI for a Jeep 4.0, 105K miles, no oil consumption and near perfect driving conditions?

Running it in my 97 Isuzu 3.2L V6, only have about 1K on it now - 2K more to go and I'll run an analysis.

Have no complaints, in fact, truck hits RPM's smoother and idles soft.

I think Rotella 5W-40 is a great oil. Right now I'm running Chevron Supreme 5W-30 for the ARX process in my F250, and I ran Rotella 5W-40 for two OCIs before that... it ran very smoothly on it.

The fuel economy has improved 1mpg since then, but I'm not sure if it's the ARX or the oil viscosity. I'll likely go back to Rotella after the ARX is done.

I would start at 5k too. Then if things look good through UOA, step it up. The rotella syn is a group III syn but unlike the other "fake" syns it's price reflects it's quality. Rotella isn't trying to fool your average consumer into thinking their 5w-40 is a syn just like mobil 1. It has a good prce point inbetween the high end syns and cheap dinos.
From what I have seen 4.0ls like a 40wt better so I'd say it's a great choice if you don't want to pay for the highend syns.
Do a search for 4.0L Jeep and you will come up with a lot UOAs, many on rotella

The fellow with M1 in the civic is right... m1 is very good oil, in some applications.

I dont think a jeep 4.0 is the right one... 5w-40 is a smart choice for that engine.

I'm really happy with rotella 5w-40 in my BMW 318i. UOAs turn out great, performance, hot and cold is great, etc., etc.

For the price, you cant beat it.

Id say to go with it!

JMH

RTS is a great oil. I experienced some transitional consumption in my 4.0 after 22k on D1/TSUV (10k, 12.5k)..but seems to have settled out to no consumption.

I've had it in my 2.5 jeep for 9k/11 months with less than 1/2 quart of consumpition. I do plan on doing a UOA on it soon. I really didn't intend for this to be in there that long ..it just sorta happened. All this focus on my guinea pig
dunno.gif

The only issue now is that with T&SUV being a little over $20 for 5 quarts ..RTS isn't the screaming bargain that it was @ $12.xx/gal. It's only about $0.50-0.60 a quart difference in price.

I think about Rotella and T&SUV in 5W40 for my Cherokee sometimes, but then I look at 4.0 UOA's and don't see either of them outperforming what I use now. Maybe one of these days, I'll give one of those a try. But not yet.

I agree w Gary as the better build M1 5W-40 is only a few dollars more for an oil change. This has led me to drop the Rotella 5W-40.

Hi,
for what it is worth, I buy Delvac 1 5w-40 at around $A10.50 per litre here in OZ!
That is nearly $A12 per quart! (around $US9.50)
A typical OC on a heavy diesel is around $A600 so you can see why extended drains are important and the cost effectiveness must be well monitored

Petrol is currently about $A1.35 per litre
Diesel is currently about $A1.45 per litre

Shell's oils have a great reputation here and I would be using Rotella T 5w-40 if I had to change from my present supplier. Their XHVI range is truely first rate and has been constantly improved over the last decade or so

I still use Shell's Helix Ultra synthetic in some petrol engines that have been on the stuff for several years! Great products!

Doug

We have used RTS in our 3.5L Isuzu Trooper with great UOA results. It rivals M1 T&SUV in properties, and may work better in some engines. The saga continues on Mobil1 iron wear, so this oil is a great alternative and a little cheaper.

Delvac 1 5/40 and Rotella T syn 5/40 are the answer for everything right Doug?
smile.gif

I think they have all the right properties with out all the high cost.
10k drains too.
bruce

Hi Bruce,
you will be drummed out of town now - wait for the flames!!!!

As for M1 0w-40, after listening so long to Ted and seeing the "bad"
wink.gif
Porsche UOAs I will sell my new Benz now - its in the sump!
wink.gif
wink.gif

Can I still use Castrol's synthetic gear lubricants and ATF please?
smile.gif

Thanks Bruce - I hoped you would agree

Yes, in the end you get what you pay for - for me it has to make commercial sense and you need to strip away the hype and BS first.
That is a hard task for some people!!

The products you mention make commercial sense to many people - I'm one of them

Regards
Doug
cheers.gif

15/40 is a good grade mineral or syn Rotella has a robust add package high TBN. I like this grade also because in a syn no VII is needed and even in a mineral base only a small amount of VII is needed less VII equals less sludge.
bruce

quote:

Originally posted by askoop:
What is the general consensus on Rotella T 5w40 synthetic?

What would be a safe OCI for a Jeep 4.0, 105K miles, no oil consumption and near perfect driving conditions?

Ironically, I was looking at the "T" last night at WalMart. It was around $13, which is only a couple of bucks more than the Supertech 10W30 syn (but then again, it comes in a gallon and you would need 2 more qt. to fill your 4.0L).
That aside, I think it would be a good oil to try. I thought about it, but my '92 YJ 2.5L only see's about 10% road and sits most of the time. I generally change the oil twice a year unless I roll or encounter deep water/mud. I use Supertech (XOM here in Ma) 10w30 and 10w40 depending on the weather.

If you have a "street Jeep", then I would say go for it and post up a UOA for the rest of us Jeep guys.

quote:

Ironically, I was looking at the "T" last night at WalMart. It was around $13, which is only a couple of bucks more than the Supertech 10W30 syn (but then again, it comes in a gallon and you would need 2 more qt. to fill your 4.0L).

Buy three gallons and two oil filters -- just enough for two oil changes.

I would definitely use Rotella T Syn. in this engine. It is good stuff and a very reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back