what is the best v6 ever made?

Toyota 3.5 2GR-FE

Excellent reliability, power and fuel economy.

GM 3.8
Aside from the intake failures from the EGR tube cracking them, leaking coolant inside. Or the coolant bypass tube...these were solid engines with reliability, power and decent fuel economy. A lot different than their little brother, the 3.4 V6 GM junk.
That is like saying other than head gaskets and leaks and lots of engine work needing the removal of the engine Subarus are great cars.

Maybe because it's the only V6 I've had, but the 4.0 Cologne in the Rat has been great. It is an OHV not the later stupid OHC. It is a purpose built 60' V. It has better secondary? balance like an I6 . Gm V6s were cut down 90' SBC V8s

So far I have been impressed with the 3.7l Powertech. People called it a "weak" sludge-monster, but it was significantly more powerful than the 3.9l it replaced (30-40hp), and the sludge issues only presented themselves when trying to use conventional oils on long OCIs. The power band is at higher RPM than most earlier truck engines, though nowadays that is common.

All in all, I think it is a fine V6.

From the Wikipedia Page:
The EKG is a 3.7 L V6 version built in Detroit, Michigan. It displaces 3.7 L; 225.8 cu in (3,701 cc).[4] The bore and stroke is 3.66 in × 3.57 in (93.0 mm × 90.7 mm). It is a 90° V engine like the V8, with SOHC 2-valve heads. It utilizes a counter-rotating balance shaft mounted between the cylinder banks to deal with vibration problems of the 90-degree V6 design, as well as use a 30-degree split pin crankshaft to fire the cylinders every 120 degrees. Output is 210 hp (157 kW) at 5200 rpm with 235 lb⋅ft (319 N⋅m) of torque at 4000 rpm.[4] It has a cast iron engine block and aluminum SOHC cylinder heads. It uses Sequential fuel injection, has roller followers, and features fracture-split forged powder metal connecting rods and an assembled reinforced plastic intake manifold.

I'm voting for GM Series II and later 3800's. Especially the Eaton M90 S/C equipped ones. I don't know that I've ever driven another V6 engine with quite the same combination of reliability (other than the well known LIM, coolant elbows), broad torque, power and fuel economy. Despite having a 90* bank angle, the inclusion of a balance shaft made it a very smooth running engine. Also sounded quite good with the right exhaust. Another thing that isn't always fully appreciated is packaging and simplicity.

Honorable mention goes to Honda J series, or Nissan's VQ-- those are a tossup for me. I lean toward the J-series as VQ engines are often difficult to work on.

Last edited:
Reactions: GON
Yeah sure, but I6 became such rarity that people think everything is V6.
Yeah … an in-line six is a great engine design … just tend to be a bit on the long side for some vehicles and have different impacts in manufacturing … Other thing is how much power gets made from boosted 4 bangers … so the I-6 sees pressure from that along with the V6 …
We see the same in industrial engines … Can’t picture an I-16 myself, 👀

I'm voting for GM Series II and later 3800's. Especially the Eaton M90 S/C equipped ones. I don't know that I've ever driven another V6 engine with quite the same combination of reliability (other than the well known LIM, coolant elbows), broad torque, power and fuel economy. Despite having a 90* bank angle, the inclusion of a balance shaft made it a very smooth running engine. Also sounded quite good with the right exhaust. Another thing that isn't always fully appreciated is packaging and simplicity.

Honorable mention goes to Honda J series, or Nissan's VQ-- those are a tossup for me. I lean toward the J-series as VQ engines are often difficult to work on.

You nailed it. The reliability, torque, and FUEL economy. The GM 3.8 both series II and III simply overall incredible. The elbows, LIM leak, were next to nothing to fix. You could run bacon grease instead of oil in the 3.8 and still be running reliable.

On the 4.3 GM- was a fuel hog. Although reliable, super ineffecient engine and not a winning design as such a fuel waster.

I'll base my choice on vehicles that I have owned.
I've owned two vehicles with this engine: Ford Vulcan 3.0.
Are there V6 engines with greater power? Yes.
Are there V6 engines that get better gas mileage? Yes.
However the 3.0 is as dependable and durable as an anvil.
The first one that I had was going strong at 300K with no discernible oil usage.
My second is still going strong at 131K.
Only dislike is the cam synchronizer setup. It's workable, and as long as one monitors it, it doesn't pose a problem.
This engine is nothing sexy, but it is a true work horse.

If it’s free … this:

81A312AA-85AF-4433-8E86-7D7C8AE3876F.jpg

Yeah … an in-line six is a great engine design … just tend to be a bit on the long side for some vehicles and have different impacts in manufacturing … Other thing is how much power gets made from boosted 4 bangers … so the I-6 sees pressure from that along with the V6 …
We see the same in industrial engines … Can’t picture an I-16 myself, 👀
Yeah I know that. Biggest issue in automotive sector is transverse position of an engine. But I6 are coming back a bit. Modular engines are big thing now, and 3, 4 and 6 cyl are basically same family. MB is back to I6, Mazda is going that way, FCA...

Durable and reliable, not too hard to maintain:
Honda J-series WITHOUT VCM
Nissan VQ series
Toyota 3.4L

Beautiful sounding and very desirable:
VW VR6
Ferrari Dino V6 (esp. in Lancia Stratos)

I had 147 GTA for a spinn few times, how this engine sounds and perform in stock form is unbelievable, pure exotic. With Ragazzon full flow, Q2 diff it becomes great. It feels special. Very reliable also.
The scream above 5,000rpm is unbeatable.

GM Gen V 4.3L LV3. Makes more power than the supercharged Buicks, and is naturally aspirated.
I have never heard of people having problems with them.

Last edited:
Love my 3.1L in my 92" Cutlass Supreme, she has 222k on it and is smooth as ever. Gets great city/hwy mpg and has a nice growl with the dual exhausts. This was my 3rd 3.1L and once you fix the LIM around 120k initially it has not been an issue since, plus it's a very easy fix. 2 teenage boys had not killed it or my 91' Cutlass either very reliable.

Back