what is the best v6 ever made?

Love my 3.1L in my 92" Cutlass Supreme, she has 222k on it and is smooth as ever. Gets great city/hwy mpg and has a nice growl with the dual exhausts. This was my 3rd 3.1L and once you fix the LIM around 120k initially it has not been an issue since, plus it's a very easy fix. 2 teenage boys had not killed it or my 91' Cutlass either very reliable.

The 60 degree V6 (2.8/3.1/3.4) is a true workhorse. Solid, smooth, efficient engines. Couple problems plagued them unfortunately in the later models, specifically the distributor O-ring would leak oil and the reputation-killing LIM gasket issues. If they survive the LIM gasket (and fixed with updated part) they're pretty bulletproof.

i am wondering what the best v6 ever made was. best meaning reliability and longevity and ease of maintenance. it seems like there is a lot of thought about the 4 bangers and v8 but v6 seem to be a middle child. whats your opinions and preferably some info / facts on why you picked what you did. i would like to weigh in on this but as of now i cannot pick one..... i honestly don't know enough about the broad class of v6's to have an opinion. hope this turns into a good educational thread.
smile.gif
The one in my truck.

I'll base my choice on vehicles that I have owned.
I've owned two vehicles with this engine: Ford Vulcan 3.0.
Are there V6 engines with greater power? Yes.
Are there V6 engines that get better gas mileage? Yes.
However the 3.0 is as dependable and durable as an anvil.
The first one that I had was going strong at 300K with no discernible oil usage.
My second is still going strong at 131K.
Only dislike is the cam synchronizer setup. It's workable, and as long as one monitors it, it doesn't pose a problem.
This engine is nothing sexy, but it is a true work horse.

The cam synchronizer / oil pump drive issue is pretty common on distributor engines that have been converted later on in their product life to be coil pack or coil - on - plug ignition. And oil pump thrown in there, too.

I think in something like a Ranger a Vulcan can be appreciated for what it is. In a Taurus or Windstar, the vehicle would end up in the junkyard before the longevity of the engine could be appreciated.

Love my 3.1L in my 92" Cutlass Supreme, she has 222k on it and is smooth as ever. Gets great city/hwy mpg and has a nice growl with the dual exhausts. This was my 3rd 3.1L and once you fix the LIM around 120k initially it has not been an issue since, plus it's a very easy fix. 2 teenage boys had not killed it or my 91' Cutlass either very reliable.
I love the exhaust note on the 3100s!

I was considering 164 3.0 V6 once, but decided not to get.
The 3.0 V6 24 valve Alfa has a terrible, terrible cam drive... The timing belt is simply overtaxed and will NOT go the distance. The sprockets are NOT indexed to the camshafts with woodruff keys. Timing the cams is a b*tch. By comparison, the 3.0 litre SOHC 2 valve per cylinder CAN be made reliable. That's my favorite Alfa engine. Need to keep an eye on the valve clearances... particularly the exhaust ones... and keep good fresh coolant in them (lest the iron barrels start corroding their aluminum block registers (wet liners)).

The 3.0 V6 24 valve Alfa has a terrible, terrible cam drive... The timing belt is simply overtaxed and will NOT go the distance. The sprockets are NOT indexed to the camshafts with woodruff keys. Timing the cams is a b*tch. By comparison, the 3.0 litre SOHC 2 valve per cylinder CAN be made reliable. That's my favorite Alfa engine. Need to keep an eye on the valve clearances... particularly the exhaust ones... and keep good fresh coolant in them (lest the iron barrels start corroding their aluminum block registers (wet liners)).
Yeah, but I was living in Europe back then. It was normal to do timing belt after like 30-40k. Just good ole preventive maintenance. That sound? That pull? ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!
Reason why I did not go with it was that I started to work in law practice and needed to be on the road a lot, and that was time when gasoline prices in Europe skyrocketed compared to diesel. So, I ended up with another vehicle.

I vote for the old Buick V6's, pretty much bulletproof. Not a fan of the Nissan VQ35. Had a Pathfinder that dropped a secondary throttle plate screw, leaked oil from the rear pan seal and needed timing chain work at 250k. All these things are not uncommon for that engine.

Back