what is the best v6 ever made?

The 3.0 V6 24 valve Alfa has a terrible, terrible cam drive... The timing belt is simply overtaxed and will NOT go the distance. The sprockets are NOT indexed to the camshafts with woodruff keys. Timing the cams is a b*tch. By comparison, the 3.0 litre SOHC 2 valve per cylinder CAN be made reliable. That's my favorite Alfa engine. Need to keep an eye on the valve clearances... particularly the exhaust ones... and keep good fresh coolant in them (lest the iron barrels start corroding their aluminum block registers (wet liners)).
Not sure what is to service an 24 valve Busso in the US but here they are reliable and will go distance. In fact there is a 330k km 147 GTA in my neighborhood. Original engine and gearbox.

My limited experience with the Chrysler 3.8 (big brother to the 3.3) has been positive. Maybe were not thinking of the same engine?

I kinda liked the 3.3 I believe was in my 2003 (Grand?) Caravan Sport SE. I think it may have been a sludger.

I did not have it long enough to know.

Okay how about Volkswagen VR6 :LOL:

Subaru H6-3.0 Boxer lol. EZ30D all day..

Shout-out to EZ36R

Subaru EZ is really an uncut gem. Nobody seems to recognize the EZ as good?? Next up will be an EG33 (yes Subaru SVX.)

Not sure what is to service an 24 valve Busso in the US but here they are reliable and will go distance. In fact there is a 330k km 147 GTA in my neighborhood. Original engine and gearbox.
In reply to Kristian and EdyVW - the 24V Busso showed up in the '94 and '95 164 here. The timing belt interval was 30,000 miles and the recommendation by Alfa was that at about 9,000-10,000 mi. after putting in place a new timing belt that the setting of the temperature-controlled timing belt detensioner was to be re-set at that point. They were very finicky to set up.

I understand timing belt intervals... but the Busso belt intervals were Ferrari-like very short... And God-forbid if a belt sprocket had to be replaced on any one of the camshafts... the timing process for the cams would be like how it is done on a Ferrari... with dial indicators on valve stems/rocker arms. A LOT of fun.

Why I like the SOHC engine is 'cuz the intakes are shim under bucket... but the engineers cleverly allowed the intake cam to be removed while the belt and sprocket is left in place.... which is amazing. The intakes rarely come out of adjustment. But the exhaust valve clearance... because of the ultra high ratio rocker arms - come out of adjustment pretty fast. 10,000 mile interval checks for the exhausts... but 30,000 mile intervals for the intakes. A lot of sohc engines ended up burning exhaust valves due to owner neglect and ignorance on the checking intervals for the exhausts being 3x as frequent as the intakes.

The oil-fed de-tensioners would leak... but the fix is to go to the non oil fed thermostatic tensioner from the 24v engine.

All told, with the de-tensioner change, with adequate valve adjustments, and with frequent cooling changes... the SOHC engine is reliable.

I kinda liked the 3.3 I believe was in my 2003 (Grand?) Caravan Sport SE. I think it may have been a sludger.

I did not have it long enough to know.

Okay how about Volkswagen VR6 :LOL:
Wife drove an 01 T&C for around 9 years, the 3.3L in it was fine although it leaked oil. It was all of the stuff connected to the engine that gave me trouble. IAC, water pump, alternator, some other sensor, injectors, AC compressor -all were replaced before 115k miles when I sold it.

That 3.3 had no guts...but man was she smooth. Had to look down at the tach just to see if it was running sometimes.

That is like saying other than head gaskets and leaks and lots of engine work needing the removal of the engine Subarus are great cars.
You’re right, BUT the repairs I listed for the 3.8 are relatively cheap and easy to perform - even though they may sound a bit scary. Subaru on the other hand? Yeah, those engines will never be on anyone’s “best” list.

Wife drove an 01 T&C for around 9 years, the 3.3L in it was fine although it leaked oil. It was all of the stuff connected to the engine that gave me trouble. IAC, water pump, alternator, some other sensor, injectors, AC compressor -all were replaced before 115k miles when I sold it.

That 3.3 had no guts...but man was she smooth. Had to look down at the tach just to see if it was running sometimes.
Speaking of things connected to that engine...you forgot the transmission. Almost a guarantee for that thing to grenade between 75,000-125,000 miles. There are post secondary schools with thousands of those Chrysler transmissions sitting in their transmission classrooms because they all have been donated (and out of service due to failure).

Speaking of things connected to that engine...you forgot the transmission. Almost a guarantee for that thing to grenade between 75,000-125,000 miles. There are post secondary schools with thousands of those Chrysler transmissions sitting in their transmission classrooms because they all have been donated (and out of service due to failure).

We drove it pretty gently, and I dropped the pan and changed the filter a few times. Eventually sold the van to a Dodge mechanic. First question he asked me was have you ever touched the trans? Told him i did several pan drops and filter changes, he asked what trans fluid did you use. Told him ATF+4, he smiled and said you are the first person to answer that correctly. at 115k it shifted perfectly.

I also thought of the old 225 slant 6. Those were bullet proof reliable engines, but only the last couple of years had hydraulic lifters that did not require being adjusted often. My 1976 Volare with solid lifters required adjusting the valves every 10 K miles. They were easy to do, but they were something that you had to keep on top of. You did have to keep a spare ballast resistor in the vehicle because you never knew when it would burn out, but you could swap that out in less than 10 minutes, and they rarely failed and usually only on start-up.

I once heard that Chrysler had to stop producing the 225 because it could not be made to meet the increased emissions requirements.
It didn't fit the new Dakota, which is why they made the 3.9 V6...though making what was essentially a late-50s design meet emission standards couldn't be easy.

Slants got hydraulic lifters in mid-1980.

The LS-based 4.3L V6 they introduced a few years ago. It's 3/4 of the LS1, aluminum, and doesn't seem to have the problems other GM pushrod V6's have

Slant 6 of the Dodge Dart , Valiant (?) and Scamp . Took a beating .
I owned two of them and could never understand the fascination with that engine. Both of mine stunk. OTOH the 300 I-6 from Ford was the best 6 cylinder engine ever made imo. Sorry if I drifted OT talking inline 6's here.

Even though I'm not really a fan of the cars they make, I'd vote for Nissan's VQ series as the best V6 ever made. It's easily the engine with the most Ward's Top 10 engines of the year awards which is saying something. Honda's excellent J series would be the runner up in my books.

Back