What is the best oil for my application?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think your way over thinking this. The current 10w30 is fine. All this tight tollances/ thinner oil posts drive me insane. 10w30 is a fine grade and would serve you well as anyone else in any engine. The reason engine builders like thick oil is because the pressure exerted on a loaded engine pushes the oil out and the thicker you start the less chance of metal to metal contact. Modern engines don't get that due to the computers control the load. Hence why big trucks used to need engine bearings every 300,000 to 400,000 miles. Now the engines are computerized and the loadings are metered. Main bearings last over a million miles. Technology, it's a good thing.

My computer has been reprogrammed to to load the [censored] out of everything as much as possible lol! I does the exact opposite of the factory TQ management software.

Originally Posted By: Striker2237
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
If you want to go boutique oil, then Redline or Royal Purple HPS or even XPR. Valvoline VR-1 wouldn't be out of the question either.

But assuming you still have a roller cam in there, I'd probably run M1 0w40 and call it a day. A 408 Stroker is still an LA v8 deep down inside, so its not going to really abuse the oil badly. If you are turning 6k RPM though, I have to ask if your engine builder drilled the main oil galleries full-length and added an oil crossover in the intake valley? That is a pretty standard LA engine mod for high-RPM operation, or else #3 main can suck air because the crank is centrifugally pumping oil out the rod bearings faster than the mains (#3 in particular) can feed it. With that mod the shorter-stroke builds can run up to 7000+ RPM easily, assuming the rods, bolts, and wrist-pins are chosen for the job.

Example:
1111phr-03%2bskmfx-racing-engines%2boil-line.jpg

We did not do that modification, we enlarged and matched the oil pump port as well as bored and cleaned all the galleries and smoothed out the oil return passages in the heads. Engine is full roller.

I am using a 30% increased volume oil pump to avoid the #3 main issue you mentioned as everyone seemed to think that would be enough to avoid the problem.

The vibe I seem to be getting is to use a heavier oil and change it often with a large filter for flow?

I agree, drilling the galleries should be enough when combined with a cleaned-up oil pump feed and HV oil pump.

I wouldn't necessarily go too thick on the oil (IMO certainly no need for Xw50, and in fact that would just abuse the oil pump drive gear and shaft), but an Xw40 would be acceptable. If you really plan to use those RPMs a lot, then I'd probably go VR-1, RP XPR, or Redline, and probably in an Xw30.

Went to jiffy lube and had them slap in a set of 10-30 Pennzoil plat, going to run it for a bout 500 miles to clean the conventional out.

Last edited:
Went to jiffy lube and had them slap a set of 10-30 Pennzoil plat, going to run it for a bout 500 miles to clean the conventional out.

500 miles or 5000 miles?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Went to jiffy lube and had them slap a set of 10-30 Pennzoil plat, going to run it for a bout 500 miles to clean the conventional out.

500 miles or 5000 miles?
500, then in goes some Redline 10-30

500 miles or 5000 miles?

Where in Ohio are you? I may have to take that off your hands for you.

500 miles or 5000 miles?

Where in Ohio are you? I may have to take that off your hands for you.
Lewis Center, you are more than welcome to it when the time comes!

Lewis Center, you are more than welcome to it when the time comes!

Thanks man and I appreciate the offer, but I'm pretty far north of you by Lake Erie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back