What is the benefit to cutting open a filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only reason why I’m asking is that after doing my first oil change in decades, I do have an used Extra Guard sitting in my garage. I’m wondering if it show me anything about my engine. I won’t be using EGs any more (nothing against Fram, I just want to use a higher FCI filter), so I really don’t want to take it apart just to see if it has torn, or anything like that.

Can you learn anything about your engine, by looking at the filter? Like, if there is a lot of gunk in the bottom of the filter, would that mean your engine would have a bad UOA, or something like that?

I started changing my own oil in 1965 and cut open filters once in while to inspect the media for sludge deposites or metal particles.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I started changing my own oil in 1965 and cut open filters once in while to inspect the media for sludge deposites or metal particles.

This sums it up well.

However a UOA stands for used oil analysis and cutting open the filter will not tell you much about the condition of the oil it can however give you hints but its best to just send a sample off to the lab if your concerned rather then a guess by examining the filter and remnants.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3800Series

This sums it up well.

However a UOA stands for used oil analysis and cutting open the filter will not tell you much about the condition of the oil it can however give you hints but its best to just send a sample off to the lab if your concerned rather then a guess by examining the filter and remnants.

OK, in that case there probably isn't much point in my doing this, then.

This sums it up well.

I did two UOAs about 8 years ago. One on the Focus and the other on a 96 Merc GM, for curiosity. Actually cheap UOAs aren't much of a benefit except to check the condition of the oil. Dirt, coolant, and excess fuel are the only real purpose of UOAs. Since I monitor the oil and all systems under the hood, I have never had a real need for oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: paulri

This sums it up well.

OK, in that case there probably isn't much point in my doing this, then.

It might be worth the time to do your first one with the vehicle just to see if there is any sludge or metal shavings but beyond that not much. No real sense in doing every one tho.

You can see what they've caught. Huge chunks of aluminum in between the pleats may indicate a problem, for example. If nothing else, I personally find it interesting to examine them.

I've never seen any dirt in all the ones I've cut open. Never anything visibly wrong with one either. Makes me think you don't have to change them for a very long time.

Originally Posted By: NibbanaBanana
I've never seen any dirt in all the ones I've cut open. Never anything visibly wrong with one either. Makes me think you don't have to change them for a very long time.

The reason why I'm using an M1 filter right now is because I will be going beyond 10K with it. At this point, I'm not sure when I will take it off---12 or 14 or 15K...

Cutting open a filter you use on a regular basis is a great way to learn about your oil and filtering. Its especially important if your not doing uoa analysis. I try to uoa every 50k but cutting a filter will tell you how its doing,how its holding up, and if you car needs a better filter. I cant because I change at dealership but I get to look at it when it comes off and see the oil when its draining.Oft I take my fingers and feel for grit and such. If you have the opportunity to cut open a filter,do it. I have learned much from bitogers who cut open filters for my car application. Its also a good point as it teaches you what a filter can and cant do;plus you learn why better filters are higher cost and what the do that cheapos dont.Bottom line...cut it if you can,its educational to yourself and us if you post it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i cut them open just to see how things look sometimes you see big problems however i just cut a low mileage Motorcraft 820-s open and found it to be very nice for the most part

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
It entertains the community, is therapeutic and is cheaper than golf.

This.
I don't really expect to learn anything when I cut it open, I just do it because I can and it is interesting to see what is inside the can sometimes.

It's not a waste of time to cut open a filter. You can see if the filter is up to the task, if I liked Wix filters (I do) and want to see if it's up to the task of 10k miles, I'll cut one open. If it's in bad shape then I'd know to either use a different filter or shorten my OCI.

Now, cutting open the same filter every time on the same length of an oil change might be a waste of time.

But whenever I cut open a filter I use a cutting wheel on my angle grinder. Takes less than 60 seconds. So what do I have to lose?

Four reasons
look for particles and sludge
filter failure (never yet)
Make me feel good about that $49 cutter hanging on the wall
Cause I fly my cars like airplanes!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back