What is the absolute best mainstream full synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

What is the absolute best mainstream full synthetic oil?​

A great question, and once again our illustrious board in a mere 140 posts has come to a concise and definitive consensus! The Absolute Best full synthetic motor oil without a doubt is:

Amsoil SS
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1 HM
Mobil 1 ESP
Valvoline EP
Valvoline Maxlife
Castrol Magnatec
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil Ultra
Super Tech
Quaker State FS
BG
Ravenol DXG
Motorcraft
Kirkland
Whatever is cheapest

You may now proceed with confidence that you will be using the VERY BEST oil that money can buy!

i d'ont know about best, but i do know about most respected. i have been going at the same garage for 24 years and all the mechanics that work there have a soft spot for mobil products. as far as perception goes in my area. mobil products are the most respected. if you show up with a mobil jug, you are seen as someone who care for his vehicle.

Mainstream...

Based on what I know I suspect it would be tough to beat M1 EP 0W-20 for mainstream oils. Of course if it doesn't fit any of your applications that doesn't help you a lot.

Reactions: 4WD
A great question, and once again our illustrious board in a mere 140 posts has come to a concise and definitive consensus! The Absolute Best full synthetic motor oil without a doubt is:

Amsoil SS
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1 HM
Mobil 1 ESP
Valvoline EP
Valvoline Maxlife
Castrol Magnatec
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil Ultra
Super Tech
Quaker State FS
BG
Ravenol DXG
Motorcraft
Kirkland
Whatever is cheapest

You may now proceed with confidence that you will be using the VERY BEST oil that money can buy!
no Castrol Edge?

Amsoil SS
Mobil 1
Mobil 1 EP
[...]
Motorcraft
Kirkland
Whatever is cheapest

You forgot "If it meets the spec."

dude if it breaks, fix it.
Except that if the water pump leaks coolant into the sump, the engine is destroyed fairly quickly. Depending on the mileage and general condition of the vehicle, a WP failure can mean the vehicle would cost more to repair than it's worth.

If money is not the factor Amsoil SS, followed by Red Line. But just my view. Too many expert views here to have the right answer. Short OCI levels out the playing field. Short oil change trumps all choices.

I ask because I have a Ford vehicle with the dreaded 3.5 Duratec V6 water pump. I know some may think this is splitting hairs but in my case I beg to differ. Since I got it at just 2,000 miles, I drained the Motorcraft blend at 4,500 miles and put in Supertech Advanced Full Synthetic and was intending to change it every 7,000 miles but have moved down to 6,000.

Thing is, the higher the mileage goes on the car, the more anxious I get about the water pump failing. I'm at 11,800 miles now and I am deciding to go with the best full synthetic here on out there to do everything I can to help the water pump, not just Supertech. Yes, I am also flushing the coolant, I am about to do my first flush and will then do the flush annually for the rest of the car's life.

My understanding is that Mobile One Advanced Full Synthetic is generally considered the best available oil. How true is this? What other oils are better, and by how much and how much do they cost?
Cut dwn the OCI for absolute best results I'd say. What yr is this water pump issue on that older V6. At least you don't have a Hyundai or KIA! They catching fire an engines locking up w/ crazy frequency. US govt getting ready to step in ..its that bad. Use any good brand *full synthetic* (Mobil1, Castrol, Pennzoil) @proper viscosity & def a Motorcraft oil filter . Change 5k mis or a bit sooner. Keep the coolant CLEAN. Have it changed every 25k mis MAX will keep water pump very happy. Otherwise don't worry it may last 200k+ mis w/good basic maintenance. 👍

I think the best oil you can buy is Amsoil SS. But if you want to buy the best oil off the shelf at Walmart then Pennzoil ultra platinum would be a good choice.
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is outstanding oil an I have to order it ...never on the shelf @ local Walmart when I go & I don't go too often! 😀 We have Meijer out here in Upper Midwest a much higher quality discount store (300 stores total) owned by 2 billionaire bros in Michigan. They have quality clothing even. Great household stuff & better food options. It's our secret out here! Lol - Ohio

You can easily determine the very best oil through this very simple test.

First you need to select oil samples, let’s say the top 30 selling products. Since you want your results to be statistically significant you’ll want to test these oils in a variety of engines, let’s say the top 30 selling engines, and assign 10 engines for each oil. Assuming some engines will drop out of the test for some reason you’ll want to increase the engines by 10%, so let’s say an even 10,000 engines.

Next, disassemble all of the engines and carefully measure them for wear, clearances, varnish, piston deposits, and sludge, and then reassemble the engines and add the oil,

Next run each of the cars for 10,000 mile OCIs with identical mixed driving environments, including speeds, terrains, idling time, ambient temperatures, and fuel quality.

Finally, disassemble all of the engines and re-measure them for wear, clearances, varnish, piston deposits, and sludge. Then feed all of the data into a computer and have it rank the oils.

The oil at the top of the list is the very best!

Oh, and since oil formulations and engine designs change on a regular basis, be sure to repeat this test before each oil change.

Alternatively, you can buy an oil that is certified to meet all of the specifications set by your engine manufacturer, but that’s no fun.

im partial to...
castrol edge
quaker state full synthetic
M1 & M1 EP.

i use whichever is on sale at the time i need it. no worries.

You can easily determine the very best oil through this very simple test.

First you need to select oil samples, let’s say the top 30 selling products. Since you want your results to be statistically significant you’ll want to test these oils in a variety of engines, let’s say the top 30 selling engines, and assign 10 engines for each oil. Assuming some engines will drop out of the test for some reason you’ll want to increase the engines by 10%, so let’s say an even 10,000 engines.

Next, disassemble all of the engines and carefully measure them for wear, clearances, varnish, piston deposits, and sludge, and then reassemble the engines and add the oil,

Next run each of the cars for 10,000 mile OCIs with identical mixed driving environments, including speeds, terrains, idling time, ambient temperatures, and fuel quality.

Finally, disassemble all of the engines and re-measure them for wear, clearances, varnish, piston deposits, and sludge. Then feed all of the data into a computer and have it rank the oils.

The oil at the top of the list is the very best!

Oh, and since oil formulations and engine designs change on a regular basis, be sure to repeat this test before each oil change.

Alternatively, you can buy an oil that is certified to meet all of the specifications set by your engine manufacturer, but that’s no fun.
Epic! Love it!

We need to ask which oil will allow the engine to outlast the ownership . Usually with care the engines usually out last the vehicle [usually]
Yes and that's even if they don't use the "best oil". Best oil in some peoples book means most expensive not mine. Show me the documentation that its best like engine that consistently get that extra 100K plus of engine life.

The best oil is easy. I am interested in the second best cause it’s not just good, it’s good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back