What is involed in owning a salvage car in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering buying a salvage car. The guy says it has the salvage title because at one point it was stolen. I plan on bringing it to a shop I trust very much, to look it over. If all is in mechanically good shape, I would like to purchase the car. Does anyone have experience with salvage cars? I read that you have to make an appointment with the dmv to get it inspected. Is the dmv salvage inspection a 1 time thing or would I have to do it every year?

I'm guessing a lot of people will tell me to stay far away from a salvage car.
15.gif
But please don't give advice unless you have personal experience with a salvage vehicle.

Thanks...

i know that sometimes it is easier to register it in another state where there is no inspection process and then after that bring it back with a good title...that is what i heard anyway.
also all states have different rules as to what is considered salvage i think in Florida it has to be 80% but im not 100% sure.

I owned a salvaged vehicle in CA. It was involved in an accident and repaired cheaply (which is typical). At the time I was kinda poor so I bought it because it was about $1500-2000 cheaper than the equivalent non-salvage.

I think I came out ahead because the repairs I needed to do myself to fix the problems they didn't fix came out to about $500.

I never got into an accident while I owned the car, so I can't say how it would have held up in a serious crash. But mechnically it was alright after I fixed the initial problems

I just registered a salvaged Saturn Vue, bought from NJ, and registered it in NY. If you have any specific questions, PM me.

You need to get the regular reg application, and a salvage vehicle application. plus a salex tax form. You must send those to Albany, and in a few weeks, they will send you an appointment date.

You must bring all receipts and work orders to the examination with your car. They are looking more for stolen parts/tags/plates than for safety reasons.

You must tow it or you can apply for a temp tag. I had to tow it because mine was from nj.

takes about an hour, but plan on spending your whole day there.

once they are done you will recieve your title in the mail, at which point you can go register it.
i bought my 2008 vue for 5 grand which was hit in the front, about 2 grand in parts, and my father in law painted and assembles it for me. i saved thousands, and the car runs great!
any question, pm me.

Salvage or rebuilt? If that "one point" was in the past and the seller has a current registration and has been driving it legally it should have gone through the process and won't need to again.

I got a "rebuilt" vehicle from a guy I knew and it was fine. He got the "salvage" title and had to have the cops look his car over, receipts for parts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back