What is Honda HTO-06 spec?

The first-gen RDX was the first turbo Honda ever sold in the US. And even then, Honda used turbos very sparingly until 5 years ago hen they started using turbos in almost everything. And they still required 5w30 for their turbo, even as they said 0w20 in everything else.

Unfortunately, Honda didn't make any more turbo-specific specs once the Civic turbo came out, but perhaps the should've, given the problems with their new turbos :sneaky:

d1g2 will work fine in your RDX :)

The first-gen RDX was the first turbo Honda ever sold in the US. And even then, Honda used turbos very sparingly until 5 years ago hen they started using turbos in almost everything. And they still required 5w30 for their turbo, even as they said 0w20 in everything else.

Unfortunately, Honda didn't make any more turbo-specific specs once the Civic turbo came out, but perhaps the should've, given the problems with their new turbos :sneaky:

d1g2 will work fine in your RDX :)
What turbo problems are you referring to?

as an owner of one I think said problem is way overblown. also, it doesn't have much to do with turbo.
It has everything to do with the turbo.
Increased cylinder pressures + low tension piston rings + direct injection = excessive fuel dilution .

NA DI engines do not see such high levels of fuel dilution. Especially in cold climates.....

At the time it was a unique turbo test that accounted for how used oil protects against turbo deposits vs clean new oil. It was different than the TEOST which tests only new oil. Honda found that the TEOST wasn't adequate hence the development of HTO-06.

It’s an obsolete spec but oils with this spec were generally the most advanced in that time.

For awhile the two most difficult oil specs in North American and Japanese vehicles were GM4718M and Honda HTO-06.

I went into Walmart with every intention on buying a jug of it. But there was none to be found. Shelves were almost totally bare of motor oil. I wonder why Edge 10W-30 doesn't carry that spec? Is it because of TSX's 5W-30 spec and not 10W-30?

I went into Walmart with every intention on buying a jug of it. But there was none to be found. Shelves were almost totally bare of motor oil. I wonder why Edge 10W-30 doesn't carry that spec? Is it because of TSX's 5W-30 spec and not 10W-30?
Correct. The HTO-06 spec is only in 5W-30 viscosity. And I believe only the RDX required this spec since it was turbocharged.

Why are you looking for a oil with a spec that is obsolete and likely not listed anymore?

Why are you looking for a oil with a spec that is obsolete and likely not listed anymore?
I guess I just find it interesting. Curiosity I suppose. Especially since I always run a W-30 in my Accord.

Back