What is Honda/Acura HTO-06?

"Amsoil SSO was a more recently approved oil. "

Not really. Amsoil says SSO is "recommended" (by themselves!) where HT-06 is called for. Amsoil constantly plays the game of recommending their oils against certain manufacturer specs without actually stating that they MEET the specification in question and without getting the sign-off of the original equipment manufacturer. SSO is a great oil, and it may or may not actually meet the UNPUBLISHED requirements of HT-06. BTW, I also am very annoyed by unpublished manufacturer special lubricant requirements. They are playing that game more and more, and the only reason for not publishing the special technical requirements of various lubricants is to maximize marketing and co-marketing advantages.

I asked Amsoil why ASL was not approved and they gave me some lame response that it might need a booster yada yada......shortly after, they approved SSO for that spec.

There are very few RDX's on the road so, I wouldn't expect many oils to pay to have their oils tested, which is most likely the case with the Amsoil line. I highly doubt ASL would NOT pass this test.

The HTO-06 test is stringent, and you can tell by # of oils that failed the test when Honda tested them a few years ago. The focus of this test was on the turbo and deposit formation.

In a turbo charged engine, Mobil 1 is a excellent choice.

I ran across this Honda R&D Powerpoint presentation from an SAE forum that is probably the closest I've seen to explaining what the spec test involves... http://www.infineum.com/information/notebook/gf5/J Jetter Honda 042109.pdf

---
Oil Specification for Turbocharged Engines
Honda/Acura HTO-06
Main feature is a modified hot-tube test. Purpose:
• Evaluate the deposit-forming tendency of an oil after aging. (Testing an oil in fresh condition only is not useful.)
• The aging procedure simulates additive consumption and sludge/soot build-up.
1. Moisture & NOx Bubbling
2. Sludge/Soot Simulation
3. Hot Tube
• Procedure is available to lubricant and additive companies upon request.
• This procedure does not discriminate against high-moly oils. (High-moly oils are not a problem for Honda turbocharger technology.)
• This test correlates well with Honda turbocharger testing (bench and real-world).
---

Also interesting is the mention of backspecing 0W-20 to all Hondas as far back as MY01 later in the presentation... But that's for another thread.
grin2.gif

Do you think oils that meet the HTO-06 spec would be more likely to prevent the varnish we see on some engines?

Would you expect an oil meeting the HTO-06 spec to be the best defense against sludge in sludge prone engines?

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay
Would you expect an oil meeting the HTO-06 spec to be the best defense against sludge in sludge prone engines?

You would think from the HTO-06 test that it would. But there are more things at work causing sludge than high temps. Sure would not hurt.

Sorry to bring up an old-thread, didn't feel it was necessary to start another one.

Why doesn't 5w20 meet this spec for the turbo application of the RDX? Is it reasonable to draw a conclusion that turbo'd, high temperature engines don't cope well with thin oils? (By thin, I mean 0w20 and 5w20.)

IIRC, Honda always likes to spec 5w30's in NA for the higher performance/revving engines like the S2K's F20C/22C and K20A/Z in the RSX-S/Civc Si.

I'm bringing up this thread because I just looked at the PDS for M1 5W30 at Mobil's site, and now it says that M1 5W30 is recommended by XOM for the HTO-06 app. It doesn't say it meets the spec. In fact it's separated from the other manufacturer specs.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.aspx

I don't know if it's a recent change, or if it's always been like this. Maybe XOM is the process of renewing it's approval with Honda, or maybe they got the approval for the GF5 M1, so they won't even bother with the GF4 version, and are just letting it expire. In any case, I still think M1 makes great products, especially after knowing race teams use the same stuff we buy at walmart. So not trying to bash in any way.

Sales of the RDX is nothing to brag about. Honda sells more Accords in 6 months than the RDX sold over 5 years. Whats the point of catering to the HTO-06 spec? Acura would've been better off adding a bigger sump and bigger oil cooler while using whatever synth was available. Its not like the RDX is a discount car. Can't believe they can't make it work with "ANY" OTC synth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still reminds me of the 10-20-09 thread I wrote,in this subject two years ago, nothing is changed much. Still I see like other oil companies recently the thought, can you be any more vague???/

Honda has a specification of HTO-06 for their turbo engines and no 20 weight oil meets the spec, only 30 weights, correct? And I believe that this was due to reducing coking and deposits left on the ultra hot bearings and components of the turbocharger, has something changed the oil specifications that now have 20 weight synthetics meeting this?

For example, is there a comparable or new specification for Ford engines with the Ecoboost engines? The "Ecoboost" is Fords slang for turbo. Why does the Fusion 2.0 turbo engine spec 5w-20 and not a 5w-30 that meets the more stringent specifications that were widely accepted for turbocharged engines in the US and elsewhere?

Originally Posted By: Pingeye2
Honda has a specification of HTO-06 for their turbo engines and no 20 weight oil meets the spec, only 30 weights, correct? And I believe that this was due to reducing coking and deposits left on the ultra hot bearings and components of the turbocharger, has something changed the oil specifications that now have 20 weight synthetics meeting this?

For example, is there a comparable or new specification for Ford engines with the Ecoboost engines? The "Ecoboost" is Fords slang for turbo. Why does the Fusion 2.0 turbo engine spec 5w-20 and not a 5w-30 that meets the more stringent specifications that were widely accepted for turbocharged engines in the US and elsewhere?

The 2.0L ecoboost in the fustion required 5W-30, not 5w-20. Only the 1.5L and 1.6L ecoboosts use 5w-20.
Page 291.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Ford_C...-US_02_2014.pdf

Back