What is Honda/Acura HTO-06?

Originally Posted By: Pingeye2
For example, is there a comparable or new specification for Ford engines with the Ecoboost engines? The "Ecoboost" is Fords slang for turbo. Why does the Fusion 2.0 turbo engine spec 5w-20 and not a 5w-30 that meets the more stringent specifications that were widely accepted for turbocharged engines in the US and elsewhere?

Dang it.. I meant to say "Why does the Fusion 2.0 turbo engine spec 5w-30 and not a 5w-20 that meets the more stringent specifications" I have one and I know what is required, sorry for the typo.

I am just curious with all the trend to the lighter weight oils. Is this because no 5w-20 weight oil provides the required protection against coking or something else? Is Fords WSS-M2C946-A spec equivalent to the HT-06 spec? There must be more to this than just a weight spec.

For example, is there a comparable or new specification for Ford engines with the Ecoboost engines? The "Ecoboost" is Fords slang for turbo. Why does the Fusion 2.0 turbo engine spec 5w-20 and not a 5w-30 that meets the more stringent specifications that were widely accepted for turbocharged engines in the US and elsewhere?

Dang it.. I meant to say "Why does the Fusion 2.0 turbo engine spec 5w-30 and not a 5w-20 that meets the more stringent specifications" I have one and I know what is required, sorry for the typo.

I am just curious with all the trend to the lighter weight oils. Is this because no 5w-20 weight oil provides the required protection against coking or something else? Is Fords WSS-M2C946-A spec equivalent to the HT-06 spec? There must be more to this than just a weight spec.

My guess is that with the power density they spec the higher weight due to the shearing and fuel dilution, a 5w30 ends up being a 5w20 very shortly into the OCI.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
Amsoil SSO was a more recently approved oil.

Just to clarify: This is a "recommended for" application. Which means that AMSOIL has had the oil tested to meet or exceed the spec. But the oil is not officially approved by Honda for use in this application.

SORRY I think I stumbled into a segment of posts / comments that is pretty old and maybe irrelevant at this time.

Exactly. These companies always print tiny words or statements you almost need a microscope + to be a scientist or Philadelphia lawyer to understand. That is major benefit that makes me feel a bit of comfort reading and hanging on almost every one of you guy's word's / posts. So many are on the ball here, seem to be thinking ahead, searching and digging for answers. AND in 99% of the cases, you guys find them. I am at the age and stage in life I am not trying to do something stupid and have to spend any more $$$$ on our autos if I can help it.

I may have asked this already? Does anyone have an answer to share about why I see lots of oils with it spelled out on the containers: this oil is approved for use under bla bla bla standards for Chevrolet / Ford / Chrysler but rarely see two names listed? HONDA or TOYOTA? I have even been led to believe reading someplace a while back that even though HONDA says use their "HONDA official label motor oil, that oil is not 100% synthetic and may not even provide the protection these new complicated, innovative new engines need. I know I am OVERSEEING / OVERWORRYING / OVERTHINKING and likley OVERPOSTING! Oil Change Derangement all over again.

Last edited:
SORRY I think I stumbled into a segment of posts / comments that is pretty old and maybe irrelevant at this time.

Exactly. These companies always print tiny words or statements you almost need a microscope + to be a scientist or Philadelphia lawyer to understand. That is major benefit that makes me feel a bit of comfort reading and hanging on almost every one of you guy's word's / posts. So many are on the ball here, seem to be thinking ahead, searching and digging for answers. AND in 99% of the cases, you guys find them. I am at the age and stage in life I am not trying to do something stupid and have to spend any more $$$$ on our autos if I can help it.

I may have asked this already? Does anyone have an answer to share about why I see lots of oils with it spelled out on the containers: this oil is approved for use under bla bla bla standards for Chevrolet / Ford / Chrysler but rarely see two names listed? HONDA or TOYOTA? I have even been led to believe reading someplace a while back that even though HONDA says use their "HONDA official label motor oil, that oil is not 100% synthetic and may not even provide the protection these new complicated, innovative new engines need. I know I am OVERSEEING / OVERWORRYING / OVERTHINKING and likley OVERPOSTING! Oil Change Derangement all over again.

Most of the Japanese manufacturers don't have their own oil approvals, they just recommend using API SN, SP...etc. in a given grade. There was Honda's HTO-06 turbo spec (which I believe is now obsolete) and of course the Nissan GT-R "endorsement" only carried by M1 0w-40, but by and large, unlike the American, and in particular, the European marques, where they have their own certifications and approvals, the Japanese don't.

Back