What Is Dexos Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mx5miata
And in a couple of years we'll be posting, "whatever happened with Dexos?"

Doubtful. Likely it will grow and change with the times, as Dex ATFs have.

I don't see an issue with Dexos, nor any other approval. If anything it guarantees a higher quality oil than a simple API rating.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Really I can't say F A R T on here
39.gif

The favorite word of immature 12 year-olds.

Yep.

There are three big picture parts to the Dexos oil spec. General speaking, GM engines are prone to both engine oil consumption (usually through the piston rings) and also premature timing chain wear. Any of their motors that consume oil, and then get run low on oil, will have damage to the chain and guides. Using Dexos approved oil means you are using an oil that is better than just any old regular conventional. Conventional oil is great in applications it is designed for, but not really appropriate for a 2011+ GM motor under warranty. There is also a trap for owners to fall into. If you don't have proof that Dexos approved oil was used during your services under warranty, GM can deny your coverage if you have any issues. Lastly, oil companies who want to display the official Dexos license seal on their bottles have to pay a fee to GM.

I have yet to see or hear one confirmed case of a dealer denying coverage over whether the oil was not on the "approved" dexos1 list. Dexos1 does not allow for 10w30. Yet, many oil blenders use the same add pack in their 10w30 oils as they do in their 5w30 varieties. And no dealer can tell the difference between a 5w30 and a 10w30 anyway. The only way a dealer would even have any ground to deny is if the owner opened their fat mouth and declared their rebellion against dexos1. It is like dealing with an LEO... don't offer more information than needed. Tell them you used a oil off the approved list. And per the Federal Trade Commission, one does not have to keep receipts and such to prove anything. it is a nice thing maybe to do, but it is not required. If the OEM doesn't want to deal with a warranty issue, then they shouldn't offer a warranty. No federal law states they have to offer any kind of warranty other than on the emission junk. But if they do offer a vehicle warranty, they just can't play fast and loose and deny claims on anything they want. There are rules in place they have to follow.

According to GM dexos1 is on par with ILSAC GF-5 (API SN) with regards to sludge control, catalyst protection and fuel economy but delivers better corrosion protection, low temperature pumpability, aeration control, elastomer compatibility, shear stability, oxidation control, wear protection and piston cleanliness than required by GF-5.

Dexos oil is either 0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30, 0W-40 or 5W-40 with the two former exclusive to dexos1 and the two latter exclusive to dexos2, most likely due to different fuel economy requirements in the US. Dexos1 replaces the earlier standard GM-LL-A-025 for gasoline engines and dexos2 replaces GM-LL-B-025 for diesel engines. Dexos2 is also used for gasoline engines in Europe and Russia, most likely due to logistics reasons. Dexos was introduced as factory fill with model year 2010 in Europe and model year 2011 globally.

Dexos1 consists of 11 engine tests in addition to tests of physical and chemical properties. The engine tests are a mix of ACEA and ILSAC tests combined with a few GM specific tests. Differences with dexos2 highlighted in bold.

CEC/ACEA Tests:
Peugeot TU5JP-L4
Peugeot TU3M
M-111 (Replaced by the M-271) Sludge
M-111 Fuel Economy (if available)

ASTM/ILSAC Tests:
Sequence IIIG
Sequence IIIGA
Sequence VG
Sequence VIB/VID
Sequence VIII

GM Tests:
GMPTE-T DUR020 (OP-1)
GMPTE-T MEC024 (Aeration)
GMPTE-T DUR021 (RNT)

GM claims dexos2 is comparable to ACEA C3 with regard to diesel piston cleanliness and catalyst protection, but with better wear protection for gasoline and diesel engines, oxidation control, elastomer compatibility, aeration control, low-temperature pumpability, fuel economy, corrosion protection, sludge control and gasoline piston cleanliness. A dexos2 oil must pass 15 different engine tests:

CEC/ACEA Tests:
Peugeot TU5JP-L4
Peugeot TU3M
M-111 (Replaced by the M-271) Sludge
M-111 Fuel Economy
DV4TD
OM646LA
VW DI

ASTM/ILSAC Tests:
Sequence IIIG
Sequence IIIGA
Sequence VG

GM Tests:
GMPTE-T DUR020 (OP-1)
GMPTE-T MEC024 (Aeration)
GMPTE-T DUR021 (RNT)
GMPTE-T DUR019

Dexos gen2 adds additional GM tests to the existing ones:

OP-2 (revision of OP-1)
Aeration (5.3L, V-8 engine)
GMOD (LSX V-8 engine)
Turbocharger deposit test (1.4L, L-4)
Wear test
Stochastic Pre-Ignition
NEDC fuel economy

It doesn't matter to me, not a GM fan. And don't own any. I think GM wanted dexos to feel good like BMW, MB and such bc their specs actually mean something, but then again. API spec are terrible compared to acea

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
It doesn't matter to me, not a GM fan. And don't own any. I think GM wanted dexos to feel good like BMW, MB and such bc their specs actually mean something, but then again. API spec are terrible compared to acea

Then don't worry about using dexos oil. Simple, no?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
First of all, I believe the maximum oil weight to meet Dexos is 30,

That's true for Dexos 1 G2. Dexos 2 allows 40 grades.

And in a couple of years we'll be posting, "whatever happened with Dexos?" Like f a r t i n g in the wind it all blows away.

Dexos specs have been around since about 2010, and before that, for quite a number of years GM had other specs that were superseded by Dexos. So if it is a passing f a r t, it is certainly a long lingering one.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
And in a couple of years we'll be posting, "whatever happened with Dexos?"

Doubtful. Likely it will grow and change with the times, as Dex ATFs have.

I don't see an issue with Dexos, nor any other approval. If anything it guarantees a higher quality oil than a simple API rating.

My thoughts exactly. Dexos certification simply means the oil has undergone more testing than is required by the SN (or whatever) category. And regarding the cost for the Dexos testing and certification process, the oil company makes some (or all) that money back by increased sales of that Dexos-certified product.

Also I agree with IndyFan's statement about other manufacturer-certified oils (Ford, Chrysler, Porsche, M-B, etc). GM is doing the same thing but is lambasted for it? W T H? The Dexos-certified oils are not necessarily more expensive than non-certified oils by what I have seen on store shelves.

Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
If you do a little online research, you will find that alot of 4 cyl GM motors have oil consumption issues. Claiming to be from prematurely worn piston rings. Along with timing chain wear issues, which is probably why GM is strong arming / using scare tactics to anyone who will listen about using their "Dexos" rated oil. It seems to me the oil the recommend isn't protecting your car as well as it should for what it costs, if their motors are using alot of oil after 120k miles. I'm not saying oils that pay to carry the symbol on their oil containers are bad oils,just that there seems to be some other issue possibly poor engineering of the motor that's being ignored. And blamed on the end consumer using inferior oil products in GM cars.,,

Wow, lots of assertions here. Care to provide evidence? Which engines? Source? Scare tactics? Really? How so?

There are a number of 4 cylinder engines in our family, many with well over 100k miles, and I know of not a single one having these issues. They include 2.4 Ecotecs (Malibus, Equinoxes), and 1.4 Turbos (Cruz). They all have followed their oil life monitors and used the recommended oils. No issues. That's anecdotal, but I'd think out of the 5 vehicles I'm thinking of, you'd see something if there was a design flaw. None report using any oil, either. An Equinox and Cruz, owned by my brothers, get absolutely flogged. Those guys are good on maintenance, but they run their engines very hard, putting lots of miles on them in the process. Both love their vehicles and engines. The others in the family are pretty average drivers that don't drive for fun, but to get from A to B.
If you do some internet searching you will find what I did. I f you don't want to search it out for yourself it doesn't matter to me. Using 5 vehicle out of the thousands in service doesn't really set the standard.,,,

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
GM didn't create Dexos with the idea of helping out their customers.
It was done to lower warranty claims and to profit off of the public thinking that they must use the Dexos spec or any claim will be denied. A pure money grab.

Is there proof of this, or just your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back