High HTHS Dexos G1/3 compatible oils?

Is there such a thing in say a 0/5w-40 viscosity? In my situation I'd need an oil with a LSPI additive package, which I understand to mean low Ca and higher Mg formula. That takes M1 0w-40 out of the equation to my knowledge. Are there oils out there in this grade or higher HTHS (>3.2) that generally meet the specification for Dexos G1/3 without being licensed / labeled as such? Or what would be considered the highest HTHS oil that is truly licensed for Dexos G1/3?

It would be Dexos R.

Amsoil 0w40 HTHS is 3.76 and claims to exceed Dexos R performance requirements. Already has a nice chunk of magnesium to replace a lot of the calcium

see for UOA:

HTHS 3.3 is the highest I've seen, and that same oil is 3.1 this year, because of tightened limits on the fuel economy pass.
There was a "sell down" period when API SP Dexos 1 gen 3 products could be labeled as gen 2.

If I want a thicker oil with Dexos 1 gen 3 chemistry, I'll choose a 10w40 that passes API SP.

I don't need an oil with LSPI additive package. I don't live in LSPI fear.

I do use toptier fuel to keep the combustion chamber, piston tops, injectors and their fuel spray pattern as good and clean as possible. My turbo'd engines run premium always regardless of what moron at the automaker recommended regular. My oil change intervals are severe service to avoid all the common issues that we've been seeing with OLM and those 7.5k-10k+ mile intervals that too many blindly follow until failure. And, my GDI-only engines get a regular IVD cleaning spray.

My engines love their high calcium diet. Poor automaker tuning, along with typical consumer bad maintenance and fueling habits, are not going to find a solution in lspi oils.

And, my GDI-only engines get a regular IVD cleaning spray.

How often do you do this? We have two GDI-only vehicles and my plan is to do it once a year.....so roughly every 8-12,000 miles or so. Mine (Crosstrek) is probably closer to the 8,000 mile mark and the other (Acadia) closer to the 10-12,000 area.

Is there such a thing in say a 0/5w-40 viscosity? In my situation I'd need an oil with a LSPI additive package, which I understand to mean low Ca and higher Mg formula. That takes M1 0w-40 out of the equation to my knowledge. Are there oils out there in this grade or higher HTHS (>3.2) that generally meet the specification for Dexos G1/3 without being licensed / labeled as such? Or what would be considered the highest HTHS oil that is truly licensed for Dexos G1/3?
Look for a "Euro" with ACEA A3/B4 or C3 and also states SN+ or SP.

A3/B4 or C3 insures an HTHS of 3.5 or more. SN+ and SP meet the same API accepted LSPI test.

Example:
Mobil 1 FS 0w40
Mobil 1 ESP 5w30
Mobil 1 ESP 0w40

Look for a Dexos R approved oil:

If I'm not mistaken, Mobil1 FS 0w-40 has some 3000ppm calcium according to VOAs I've stumbled on, which makes it a non-starter for an LSPI-prone application. When I spend some $22K on a vehicle (seems to be chump change these days but I digress), I don't want to open a can of worms, definitely prefer something SN+/SP that has a reduced Ca formula but with a higher HTHS in the interest of reduced engine wear; perhaps at the expense of some tiny percentage of fuel economy.

Looks like QS Euro 5w-40, M1 ESP / Supercar, Pennzoil Ultra Euro would meet those qualifiers. What's the best bang for the buck?

My mistake, the only VOAs I could find were from a couple+ years ago. Is there an updated VOA available?

Edit: This UOA from early 2023 seems to suggest that M1 FS 0w-40 is still using a higher Ca formula with very little Mg.

Nevertheless, in Kentucky you don't need a 0W or 5W winter grade. SAE 10w40 API SP is the $4/qt solution for the vehicles you have listed on your profile. The Dexos R solution is likely 3 or 4 times the price, plus tax.
It appears that you like Havoline products. Download the Chevron 2023 salesfax. You will see that all the SP automotive engine oils have the same additive package, whether they are Dexos licensed or not.

It appears that you like Havoline products. Download the Chevron 2023 salesfax. You will see that all the SP automotive engine oils have the same additive package, whether they are Dexos licensed or not.
Honestly I like whatever top-tier synthetic that is on sale/clearance or semi-syn if the price is too good to pass up. No brand preference.

The question with 10w-40 oils is base oil-- it takes a better base oil to cover the viscosity spread of a 0w-40, 5w-40, 0w-30, etc. and improved base oils often translate into better oils overall.

How often do you do this? We have two GDI-only vehicles and my plan is to do it once a year.....so roughly every 8-12,000 miles or so. Mine (Crosstrek) is probably closer to the 8,000 mile mark and the other (Acadia) closer to the 10-12,000 area.
Its just incremental prevention... so, pick any time or mileage interval and stick with it. I also don't have brand loyalty and rotate among the brands. Your once a year is a good interval to start with, preferably before an oil change interval.

Its just incremental prevention... so, pick any time or mileage interval and stick with it. I also don't have brand loyalty and rotate among the brands. Your once a year is a good interval to start with, preferably before an oil change interval.

yep, I do do it right before I dump the oil. I have a few CRC and a handful of Berryman on hand. Have only used the CRC so far though.

Honestly I like whatever top-tier synthetic that is on sale/clearance or semi-syn if the price is too good to pass up. No brand preference.

The question with 10w-40 oils is base oil-- it takes a better base oil to cover the viscosity spread of a 0w-40, 5w-40, 0w-30, etc. and improved base oils often translate into better oils overall.
Go to the HDEO thread "does a turbo diesel need synthetic?" and watch the video from Chevron I posted.
Which is more important in your opinion, the base oil composition or the engine oil's performance and cost?
Havoline API SP ain't your great grand pappy's 10w40.

M1 0W40 is now API SP and so is tested to offer LSPI protection.

Any Euro rated, ACEA C3 (mid-SAPS, high-HTHS) or ACEA A3/B4 (high-SAPS, high-HTHS) oil, that also carries API SP for LSPI protection would be perfect for you (and most other people on the planet).

Shell Helix Ultra / Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 is another I believe.

That's no longer the case, as Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is API SP now, with a Mg/Ca DI package.
Not according to API. M1 FS 0w40 is still API SN licensed.

Mobil is just using the language Amsoil pioneered.... Meets or exceeds....

1682123049732.png

Back