What is better 5w20/5000 or 0w20/10,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
doublebase said:
2016 Avalons are now direct injected I believe and if you do a little research there's plenty of threads on here about how direct injection engines are tough on oil (something to consider with extended intervals). And one thing I'd worry about when going to a Toyota dealer...not all Toyota dealers are using TGMO 0w20...some are using cheaper stuff...so I'd worry about going 10,000 on say, some local no name distributer.

The 3.5L V6 used in the Avalon and Camry is a multiport sequential fuel injection system.

Neither is necessarily better.
I'd probably use M1 0W-20, either AFE or EP and run 10K or maybe a little less.
FWIU, unlike Honda, Toyota doesn't bother with the expense of an IOLM but rather simply makes a blanket mileage recommendation.
In practice, it probably makes little difference, since our '12 Accord would typically get to 10K if I ran the MM down to 0% and manufacturer's drain recommendations are typically not wildly optimistic.
So, just ask yourself whether you want to lie under the car every 5K or every 10K.
To repeat the old truism, the engine will outlast the rest of the car either way.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I picked up some of the Mobil1 AFE in 0w20. Is that a decent oil for this application?

Absolutely. It is what I am using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back