What is better 5w20/5000 or 0w20/10,000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok for my new Toyota Avalon with the 0w20 TGMO Syn 10,000 mile OCI....would it be better to go with a 5w20 Syn Blend and go 5000 or stick with the 10k?

You may as well stick with the 10k through warranty at least. That said, as long as the owners manual allows for 5W20 and you feel more comfortable changing it at 5k intervals then I reckon you should be fine.

If I changed my oil every 2500 miles, id be changing it 12 times a year! Who has that kind of time?!?

If I had a new car I'd use a full synthetic and follow the oil life meter without worry for the next 200,000 - 300,000 miles

These cars with the 2GR-FE engine have a ~6.5 qt sump. I would be using SuperTech Synthetic at 5K intervals when the maintenance light comes on change it. Unless they changed the OCI to 10k. Then use the 0W20.

Toyota has kind of gone to that 10,000 mile oil change interval across the brand using TGMO 0w20.

2016 Avalons are now direct injected I believe and if you do a little research there's plenty of threads on here about how direct injection engines are tough on oil (something to consider with extended intervals). And one thing I'd worry about when going to a Toyota dealer...not all Toyota dealers are using TGMO 0w20...some are using cheaper stuff...so I'd worry about going 10,000 on say, some local no name distributer.

I'd probably go 7,500 on a quality synthetic for a while and see how that goes. And I'd check the dipstick periodically to make sure that you're always at the proper level. And I know the "color" of the oil means "nothing", but you are talking about a direct injection engine...carbon, fuel dilution, soot, etc, are going to be getting into that oil more than a regular injected engine. It probably wouldn't be bad to take a look at it around 6-7k thousand miles and go...wow! This stuff looks pretty bad.

Originally Posted By: meborder
If I changed my oil every 2500 miles, id be changing it 12 times a year! Who has that kind of time?!?

You put on 2500 miles a month ? You deliver pizzas or something ?

Originally Posted By: HKPolice
Doesn't it have an oil life meter? Going by mileage isn't accurate because driving conditions will change.

+1

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

nope.

just the price you pay for living where other's don't.

50+ miles a day driving to work, plus extra trips on the weekend and long trips with the family.

I exaggerate, slightly.
last oil change was 9,060 miles in 5 months.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Neither - 0W20 every 5,000 miles.

01.gif

Although not exactly the same engine as the Avalon, I have a UOA on my Lexus GS350 using M1 EP 0w20 for approximately 10,000 miles. You can draw your own conclusions whether or not this interval is right for you.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/4042760/Searchpage/1/Main/250718/Words/GS350/Search/true/Mobil_1_EP_0w-20,_9977_Mi,_201#Post4042760

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

01.gif

This is my routine with 0W-20 PP.

My 2011 Camry 2.5L 4 cyl. still runs like new with nearly 90,000 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! ^^^^

yeah...I think I agree....I get 2 oil changes at 10k and 20k with TGMO at the dealer and I'll do the 5k in between with a factory filter. I am a short tripper 2 mile commute so I am thinking this is the best idea.

Last edited:
I have the same 3.5L engine in my 2012 Highlander. I've done enough research online to be comfortable with 0w20 at around 10K miles. I'm using M1 and their 0W20 is an extremely robust oil. I could put 5W30 in it--and I thought about it--but came to the conclusion that there is enough data to support the 0W20/10K OCI practice. I may not run it out to 10K every time. I just changed it at about 8500 miles a couple of weeks ago because we are going on a few long road trips. But I like knowing that I should be able to extend this oil to 10K with no issues. These engines get great oil analysis numbers on 0W20 even all the way up to 10K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back