What is a good synthetic 5W-20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 truck and been trying out different brand oils in 20 wt. mostly synthetic and yet to find one that I am impressed with, maybe except Castrol Syntec 5W-20 which surprised me. But still not settled on one particular oil yet. Any suggestions?

Take your pick from any of the major oil makers and you will do fine. I personally am liking Pennzoil Platinum but I'm using the 5w-30 version.

+1 on checking out the UOA subforum.

Last edited:
Same here, I like the PP 5w20, but have used Valvoline Synpower and Mobil 1 5w20, all very good

The Motorcraft 5w20 blend and 5w20 Full Synthetic are great oils...The Blend is a super deal as it is less then 20 bucks for a 5 quart jug at Walmart...The Blend is great for 5K mile OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
yet to find one that I am impressed with

Probably need to be more specific to find out what you want to know. Any of the current synthetics will probably yield similar results - generally good. I like M1 and Synpower in my V6 Accord, but thats just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Ringo
Don't use Red Line 5w20, or you will
never go back to anything else !!!.....jr

Is it that good? I do have their gear oil in my truck, front and rear differential, manual transmition and transfer case. I have no complains about it, but haven't noticed much difference either.
I know their oil is pricy, but I will pay for it if it is that good. What kind of difference have you seen?

REDLINE Rules! If you can afford it (do enough miles per year) go for the Redline. Also I run only Redline in all my transmissions, manual and automatic.

Originally Posted By: cwing6
Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
yet to find one that I am impressed with

Probably need to be more specific to find out what you want to know. Any of the current synthetics will probably yield similar results - generally good. I like M1 and Synpower in my V6 Accord, but thats just my opinion.

I want an oil that would make my truck run smooter with less felt vibration. I know there is no devise to measure these two things, but I would know and feel the difference. My truck being a 4 cylinder is by nature a little noisy and runs a little rough (at least to me compared to the Corrolas I had driven before buying my first truck), so I am hoping to find an oil to make it run quiter and smooter.

My engine seems to run very very smooth
and quiet with the Red Line. Admittedly,
I am on my first OCI with this oil, and
have only used a couple of dino 5w20's, so
I do not have a lot to compare it to. I get
my oil for free, so the cost is a mute point
for me.........jr

Originally Posted By: Ringo
My engine seems to run very very smooth
and quiet with the Red Line. Admittedly,
I am on my first OCI with this oil, and
have only used a couple of dino 5w20's, so
I do not have a lot to compare it to. I get
my oil for free, so the cost is a mute point
for me.........jr

How in the world you get the most expensive motor oil for free? I am just jealous. I will probably give it a try, but it is going to hurt dishing out that dough for it.

Redline 5-20 and don't look back

PP is a great product and easily accessable to.

Why would somebody mail order a group III oil when the shelf is full of it......Amsoil is a waste too many good products on the shelf these days

Originally Posted By: DieselTech

Why would somebody mail order a group III oil when the shelf is full of it......Amsoil is a waste too many good products on the shelf these days

Because it's cheaper than Redline, delivered to your door or picked up at a dealer or warehouse and so far no one has been able to demonstrate Redline is better in a normal OCI or extended OCI. Amsoil is not a waste.

My Christmas, birthday, & Father's Day list is
1. The oil I want ( currently Red Line )
2. FP+
3. LC
These are really good gifts to recieve, and they are
used and appreciated every day. My kids have known for a
long time that I am an oil nut. They have not completely
come to terms with it though, for they leave the word
"oil" out of the description............jr

I think I was saying why mail order a group 3 when you can go to walmart and buy a group 3?. Amsoil XL and redline are not even close to the being in the same league and you know it.

You said it. Amsoil Is CHEAPER then redline. maybe next time a better sales tactic would be using " less Expensive ". I actually learned that one in vegas at the Amsoil convention
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: KW
I'll put up a +1 for the Amsoil XL line. Never heard a bad thing about the stuff.

yep, even my wife noticed that she liked it in her Mazda. shes pretty vehicularily aware though....lol, is that a word?

Amsoil XL 5w20 is great stuff. So is Mobil 1 5W20 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back