What is a good synthetic 5W-20 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also say stick with the Castrol. Castrol and Valvoline Syns have felt the smoothest in my Toyota. I've also used 5w/0w-30's, and that felt noticeably smoother. If you aren't happy with the 20wts, try 30!!

I think if warranty does not bother you, or cat. life does not bother you Redline would be the best choice if money does not bother you.

I just ordered 11 qts of Redline 5W-20 for two full oil changes. Can't wait till I try it, but it will be a while since I just recently changed the oil in it. But I will let you all know what my experience is with it. I am optimistic about it. I have done quite bit of research and everything is very positive about Redline. I already have redline gear oil in everything else and might as well make it fully Redline proofed. hehe :)

Spitfires - What is HTHS that you were refering to?

Ottotheclown - what is the "cat. life" you are talking about?

RL makes great products that work particularly well in high temperature applications.
Their 5W-20 is not their newest formulation and it has been around for quite a while. It's also a very misleading oil because it is anything but light being the heaviest 20wt you can buy and is more robust than many 30wt oils. The downside is it has a high 40C vis of 55 cSt and low VI of only 145. Consiquently even you're typical 5W-30 syn has a lower start-up vis than RL's 5W-20 as does RL's own 0W-30.

HTHS is a vis measure at 150C in cP.
Cat life is short for Catalytic converter life.

Just curious, why you didn't consider Toyota's own 0W-20, it has a robust add' pac' similar to RL, it's cheaper and a whole lot lighter at start-up.

Red Lines HTHS in the 5w-20 is higher than just about anyone's. Not so for the 0w-20, iirc. ..and ..as Spitfire suggests, one really has to ask if one needs a high HTHS for little more than "peace of mind" ..or "getting something extra". Most don't get anything out of it ..and they're getting exactly what they paid for ..no "extra" to it at all.

Cat life issue keeps getting a life of its own. Most of us have never had a cat failure ..SG/SJ/SL. Never ..yet there's some overblown anxiety over using an overloaded add-pack in a 2000-something engine/cat combo. It's like "Where the heck was all your panic/concern/anxiety back when you had NO CHOICE??" The poisoning is real, just not indexed properly for perspective, significance, and practicality.

Originally Posted By: Ringo
My Christmas, birthday, & Father's Day list is
1. The oil I want ( currently Red Line )
2. FP+
3. LC
These are really good gifts to recieve, and they are
used and appreciated every day. My kids have known for a
long time that I am an oil nut. They have not completely
come to terms with it though, for they leave the word
"oil" out of the description............jr

If Red Line (or whatever one's favorite oil happens to be) is so great, why would you need LC to help it "go the distance?"

I love the results using FP Plus in my rides, but I refuse to use a full syn oil that will likely need an assist off the bench from LC to perform to 10k miles.

As stated before a friend of mine has a shop right next to Citi Field in that gasoline alley, cat. business with the older oils made him rich. Now with the newer oil not so much, here in N.Y.so Redline would not be my choice. Also warranty can be a big factor with the cost of repair these days. It seems I know enough people who paid $900 on up for cat. replacements, cannot pass inspection because of emmissions problems.Why ask for trouble???? Toyota has great oil to pick from.

I have used LC20 for many years, and although I believe it is beneficial, I do not think it is "needed" by Red Line
or any other motor oil. I just like messing with stuff...it is fun for me.
To the OP's question of "What is a good synthetic 5W20 oil?",
I believe that Red Line 5W20 is a good synthetic 5W20 oil........jr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back