What has been your longest commute by miles or time?

I moved to Denver in 1985 to work as a mason, it was slow around here. I ended up living in Littleton so my commute depended on where the work was, most of the time it was around the southern Denver area so not bad. Then the guy I worked for took a big job a little north of Boulder, about 60 miles north of where I lived. Wasn't bad in the morning, straight up I25 took about 50 minutes but the drive home you could easily double that and triple that (or more) if there was a pile up which seemed to happen a lot. About 3 months of that and I'd had enough. 3 hours a day in a vehicle is no way to live.

Ran industrial, commercial ac and boiler service . Nothing to called out and drive 2-4 hours for a service call.
Having phone numbers to supply houses to open when when closed. Would drive 1.5 hours back and forth any longer a motel.

My longest commutes have been about 25 miles one way and in the 30 minute range depending on traffic. Those weren't bad because my hours didn't line up with rush hour. At one job I was detailing cars at an auction and we started and finished early. Typically I got to work before morning rush hour(s) and left by 3 PM. The drive home was kind of nice then because I was exhausted and it was nice to just be in my truck with the AC going. Those commutes would have been a lot worse during a different time of day.

My rush hour commutes have always been the worst, even though they've all been under 10 miles one way. I hate when it takes 20 minutes to go maybe 2-3 miles. I know other places have it much worse, and I don't know how people can do it. I don't mind driving, but I cannot stand just sitting in traffic because people can't/won't cooperate to keep it moving. I have adjusted my evening commute to a longer distance, but usually shorter time route to avoid a Popeye's whose drive thru traffic goes out into the road and creates a major backup at a particular intersection. Better for my sanity to just take that out of my commute. It isn't a problem in the morning. It takes me maybe 7 minutes in the morning on the shortest distance route, but can be 20-30 in the evening, so I take the other way that is 10-12 minutes most of the time and doesn't involve as much sitting while people figure out creative new ways to block intersections.

58 miles.

I usually ride in a van pool but the shift changed and I need to either get a new van pool or just suck up and deal.

The van was great, it knocked 36 miles off, all the tolls, parking headaches, and I got a nap in at just the right time of day.

My longest commute, for period of 5 years, was 55 mi. one way. Mostly Interstate, but some gridlock each way near the work location. Essentially a heavy traffic truck route. I was in a number of different car pools most of the time. Some were excellent some very bad.

Other than that, mostly 9 to 30 miles one way commutes.

Work is 30 miles away or 45 minutes when traffic is backed up because I don’t go the interstate. The furthest I’ve driven at one time has been about an hour and a half not sure on the mileage and both times it was wasted trips because we got to the place we were going and they ended up closing early.

Back in 1990 to 1993 I worked as a VAX programmer/analyst for Fina Oil and Chem off-shore downtown Houston and lived in the Woodlands....34.4 miles one way. If i was on the road by 5:45 am I might make it my 7 am. If I left work at 4:30 might be home by 5:30 if i paid for the toll road....if not it would be 5:45 if I was lucky.
Im so glad to be retired now.

In 2000 I was living in Tempe AZ and job was in Milpitas CA ......got a 380 sq ft closet/apt to live in close to the great mall ....I was working for Lucent/Avaya......lasted for 17 months.....just as my wife had got a transfer from Wells Fargo and I put money down on a house....Lucent pulled the plug on the project.....so your fired. So flying back home for W/E was 1.5 hours on AWA....or wife flew to San Jose.
one of the worst jobs i ever had. When i see a Lucent/Avaya phone to this day i get a big frown on my face.

Just re-read the title and realized the question is what my longest commute was, not typical.

I think it was 1998. I was working in Boston the Wed before Thanksgiving and left the city around 4PM as I was helping a client.
As that is usually the busiest travel day of the year, I was on the Mass Pike for hours, finally making it home around 10:30+PM.

People were running out of gas and peeing on the side the highway. I think I remember a dude breaking out a guitar. It was awful.
I have taken that day off ever since.
During my time commuting from CT to The Woo I left work in Worcester the day before Thanksgiving at around 3PM - this was 2014. As I was going down 290 I came up to the Mass Pike/395 interchange - I could go either way but the Mass pike was shorter. As I was approaching Waze started going crazy and "recalculating". I had to make a decision and so I went onto the pike. As soon as did that I saw the red, my ETA went from 2:45 to +6 hours. There was an overturned tractor-trailer across all three lanes. Traffic did not move for 5 hours - same thing with people peeing on the side of the road, etc.

That was the first time I realized that besides the Charlton rest stop there are NO exits between 290/395 and 84 on the pike.

I avoid the pike at all costs....

@PWMDMD Yep, the RT84 exit sucks bad. Always toast during holidays, summer weekends and what we call, "the Fleas" - which is the huge flea market in Brimfield.

Tractor Trailers roll more often than not on the exits to 146, that 290/pike exit/entrance, and the 84 exit to 20 Westbound in Sturbridge.

I have been fortunate to have moved up the ranks to where I run service in MA/RI and can assign guys closer to the site instead of high-fiving on the Pike.

Back