What has been your longest commute by miles or time?

Longest was 55mi. Usually about 50 minutes to get to work in the morning (before 6a or after 10a) & easily 1.5 to 2hrs to get home in the afternoon. Now I'm 8mi away

Right after college, living at home in a small town, I got a job in the larger nearby city and it took a few months of commuting to save up money to get local home. That commute was probably 45 minutes daily, door to door. I drove a very thirsty V8 and got maybe low teens MPGs. It was a tough expensive few months of scraping by. Another job, in my early 30s, I did 1 year commuting about 65 miles round trip, about 1 hour each way with heavy congestion. That could easily double or triple in snowy/icy weather and there were a few times I debated the merits of even trying to go home at night if the weather got bad. After a year of 10+ extra hours weekly commuting, I had enough of that lifestyle.

ZZman,

Hopefully your wife is doing better.

Long time ago it was 85 miles one way, 4 days a week. Luckily I was only doing this for 3 months.

I had about 70 miles 60 to 80 minutes one waywhen I was consulting. But got reimbursed $0.55 per mile so it was tolerable. Currently my commute would be 60 miles 70 to 90 minutes but I'm wfh. Car stays in the garage.

First of all, I hope your wife is ok. My longest commute was to a tech internship at a hospital in a neighboring city. It was about a 30 minute drive. ALL of my other jobs have been about 5 minutes or less. Very fortunate!

1.5hr each way on average, 50 miles. I think this is pretty common and a lot of people after the pandemic would do remote jobs for a slightly lower pay, and many employers wanting to keep people will have to accomodate.

Depending on which location I am going to - it's either 63 or 75 miles each way every day for me. About 40k a year - I should need one more Subaru to get me to retirement in 3 years.
Mike B

My longest was 33 miles one way/40 min. Currently 16 miles/20-25 min.

I don't mind a longer commute. By the time you get home, you're not pissed off about work anymore :ROFLMAO:

For 6 weeks this last summer, I had to take my sister to school across town, go to work, pick her up, then go home to finish working from home. 94 miles a day.
By the time I came home I am usually pissed off about commute instead of pissed off about work.

BTW...it was a great house - a 3600sqft ranch with 5-bedrooms, well cared for, a new roof, new central AC, freshly painted inside and out in a very nice community bordering one of the oldest country clubs in the US. The problem was it was a ranch and everyone wanted a colonial. The people who finally bought were older and wanted to be on one floor but had lots of kids/grandkids who visited and so the size and bedrooms were needed.

That's probably why it took so long to sell. If it had been a run down dump in the slums you'd have got an offer the first week. If it hadn't had a new roof, new a/c and been freshly painted you could likely have sold it cheaper and it would probably have sold quicker even though they'd have had to put more money in it after the purchase. People are strange creatures.

By the time I came home I am usually pissed off about commute instead of pissed off about work.
I used to be like that when I worked in Charlotte, NC around Christmas. The Christmas shoppers made my afternoon commute about an hour longer than the rest of the year. I also hated race weeks at Charlotte Motor Speedway because to get home either way I went took me within a mile of the speedway and heavy traffic associated with it.

I think it was 18 miles. My commute now is 7 miles.

My wife, a senior business analyst, is about 20 minutes from her office.

If she skips the office and drives directly to the client, she is off the clock the first 20 minutes, but is on the clock and gets paid mileage at .56 a mile 21 minutes onward.

35 miles/45 minutes with no traffic one way when I used to work at the Hines VA near Chicago. With my current job if I don't go on train (pre-COVID) then it's a bit over 40 miles/1 hour drive with no traffic. With no or light traffic it's really not bad and I don't mind the drive at all but Chicago driving stresses me out.

I think it was 18 miles. My commute now is 7 miles.

My wife, a senior business analyst, is about 20 minutes from her office.

If she skips the office and drives directly to the client, she is off the clock the first 20 minutes, but is on the clock and gets paid mileage at .56 a mile 21 minutes onward.
Is she not a lawyer anymore?

For the last 6 years its been 41km one way. 6 miles of gravel and the rest asphalt. Depends on my route but the usual has only two stop signs. Usually takes 30 minutes and little to no stress. Plus it is normally done in a work vehicle.

I’m thinking Australia, Papua, or Russia … let me check 😷
(I get to work by plane) …

My longest was about 8.5 miles, which I usually did by bicycle, except on rainy days. That took 32-40 minutes (It's hilly here!), or 17 when I went by car. (Commutes to previous jobs were 1.5, 3.5, and 4.5 miles, all also usually by bike.)

That's not counting a brief summer job after my freshman year of college. That commute was ~17 miles, usually in the same old Chevy listed in my signature, except once I went one way by bike---by a longer route, in order to avoid the main highway.

88-93 Diamond bar to hollywood - about 40 miles but an hour and 20 minutes each way during rush hours.

Wife has been in the hospital in Detroit and I have been commuting 1.5 hours each way to see her. I hate the drive. Made me think how the heck people could do this daily for years.

My longest regular commute was work and was about 20 miles/25 minutes.

How about you?
My daily commute (3x week) to work is almost exactly 1 hour/40mi. one way. Why? Because I don't want to live around others. I've done it for 4 years. Is it worth it? ABSOLUTELY! What are the results? I bought a CX5 turbo and now am trading it for a Rav 4 Prime since gas prices are going up. yes, I will tailor my vehicle around my living situation and not the other way around to have things like this as a part of my back yard.
32105270_993090373371_2916695578995851264_o.jpg

Back