What happens when a fly lands on your food:

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
OK, this might not be the most appetizing post, but to those interested in what a fly does to your food is quite disturbing, at least according to this animation.

Another useful tidbit of information is that flies crap where they eat. Their feces often contain Heliobacter pylori, a bacterium that causes peptic stomach ulcers. As many as 50% of people are infected with H. pylori. Don't eat food that has been crapped on by flies.

Yeah, this is why I felt so sorry for the scientist in the '50's classic, "The Fly".
Remember the poor guy trying to eat the dinner his housekeeper brought him?

What happens to some of the stuff you eat at fast food restaurants? How clean are the soda dispensers and soft serve ice cream machines etc?

What happens to some of the stuff you eat at fast food restaurants? How clean are the soda dispensers and soft serve ice cream machines etc?
Good point. I wouldn't be surprised if there was mold growing in crevices of the tubing and parts of some machines. Hopefully there is some kind of built in maintenance cycle or scheduled vendor service to keep these machines clean.

A friend of mine is a health inspector and told me that the cleanest places to eat are your corporate chain restaurants like McDonalds or Olive Garden. The parent companies stock and national reputation is on the line so the food prep / sanitation is simplified to avoid violations with strict controls.

It's the mom and pop places like the corner bagel joint or a diner where he finds the dead rats, improperly stored ingredients, moldy freezers and fridges which sometimes are not running at the correct temps.

Last edited:
LOL, now google how many insects an average person eats in their lifetime, without even knowing it...
When you swallow a bug, stomach acid will very likely destroy any bacteria you ingest along with a bug. If you get fly digestive juices onto the mucosa of your mouth you get infected much more easily. Saliva is only mildly acidic or we couldn't have teeth.

24% of the world population is worm-infested. 🙂 🪱
I don' think most of that population is in the US though, well maybe soon, but that's another topic.

One of the reasons the average oral temperature has decreased over the past 160 years of monitoring is due to having less parasites and chronic inflammation in our system. Pretty sure food hygiene is behind most of those worm based infections.

Back