What Half Ton Truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a half ton pick up under $5,000

In my area (northeast Ohio), that typically means a early 2000 model with rusty frame/rockers and rough body. I will require an 8 cylinder motor and 4wd for our winter months (although this winter has been mild). Is there a make and model that proved to be the most reliable in this time period?

+1 for buying on condition at that price.
At $5k you are going to be looking at some really used up trucks.

For that price I'd shop around for personal sales. Look for retirees who are trying to get rid of their ride.
It may need tires and seals, but will otherwise be in great condition.

Originally Posted by lancerplayer
I'm looking for a half ton pick up under $5,000........In my area (northeast Ohio), that typically means a early 2000 model with rusty frame/rockers and rough body.

Sheesh.... GOOD LUCK

Can you buy one from a non rust state? Like fly to AZ or TX and pick one up and drive it back.

In my area (northeast Ohio), that typically means a early 2000 model with rusty frame/rockers and rough body. I will require an 8 cylinder motor and 4wd for our winter months (although this winter has been mild). Is there a make and model that proved to be the most reliable in this time period?

Come to Florida and purchase a rust free truck. Drive it home. The market is saturated with pickups here, so you can probably find a great deal. Treat it with corrosion preventative before you drive North and you may be surprised at the value.

Go south, for sure-I have my eye on a Ram 2500 in Mississippi for under $3K, just have to get down there to take a look at it.

You might have to skip the 4x4 at that price if you want something in good condition.

Even here in Toronto, you can get GMT800 RCLB 2WD in decent condition for around $5k. Everyone wants a crew cab 4X4 truck, so 2WD RC trucks have little value in comparison.

A cheap 4x4 truck is going to be rusty and need a new front end. No one wants to spend 1000+ on the front suspension of a rust bucket, so they sell it.

You're probably not going to find a good condition 4X4 truck in the rustbelt for that price unless you watch used car ads like a hawk and are quick to act.

Look for something that is not desirable.

You would be hard pressed to find a decent 4x4 V8 truck around here for 5K. Your best chance of would be a Dodge IMO. Even a nice 4X4 Ranger is in that range.

Late '90s K1500 with a fuel injected Small Block 350. As reliable as it gets, I know a guy who just got one with less than 160k miles for $1500. Only very light surface rust on frame. Body was rust free. SC vehicle though... That leaves $3500 for a plane ticket to South for a rust-free truck, some gas money to drive it back up North and rust-proof it, plus some cash for upgrades like a deer/bull guard, lift, wheels, etc.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Can you buy one from a non rust state? Like fly to AZ or TX and pick one up and drive it back.

+1 everthing in that price range will be high mileage. At least a rust free body will be worth and engine or trans swap.

Can your work on this yourself I.E. brakes, suspension, waterpump, etc. If not forget the whole idea.

Last edited:
I gotta have my negative Nancy outlook on things.

Regardless of brand, they can all have issues. Some makes are easier to repair than others.

Older high mileage Fords tend to sell cheaper Chevy/GMC trucks.

But is the potential spark plug issue a worry for you on some Fords?

On the drive home, are you going to blow a brake line because of the 17 year old brake fluid that is rotting the system from the inside out?

Chevy/GMC trucks tend to break down more but are cheap and easy to fix. One month you'll replace an alternator, 3 months later your starter goes out, a week after that
that water pump starts leaking and on the coldest day of the year you have no heat because your blower died, 5 months after that, the fuel pump dies, the O2 sensor is lazy when you buy it causing 1.5 MPG less, but not bad enough to throw a code until you already driven it 10K miles before it finally throws a CEL, wasting gas along the way. But it's all good because Autozone has all those common parts in stock that will last a year if your lucky.
But what engine oil you use is the real concern.

How many have done the fly & drive thing? Buying an unseen 15+ year old truck with fairly high miles and driving it 1000-2000 miles home at highways speeds has a real potential for on the fly repairs. Seldom is an old used vehicle better than you expected....

When we lived in western Pa we found we only had to go to Maryland to find rust free trucks. Bought a couple that way and had a chase truck and tools available.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I have a soft spot for 2003-2006 Silverado's.

If I bought one I'd swap the 99-02 or Tahoe/burb front end onto it. Prefer that over the cat eyes for some reason. I know that's an unpopular opinion.

Find a early 90's F150 with a manual 300 i6 engine and don't look back. I have had a few of these and they can be found cheaply and easily. I still have a 94 ranger I bought in New Castle PA and it had zero rust! Avoid the 302 v8 engine imo. The i6 can be a bit of a slig bit the 302/ 5.0 is worse in those trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back