What Gun Do You Wish Someone Made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: urrlord
A rifle in 32 mag.I would take a single shot nothing fancy.

I always wondered why h&r or nef never produced a matched set of revolver and break open rifle.......probably executive stupidity.

Don't dream it, do it !!!

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/ed.html

Originally Posted By: Shannow
A rifle in 32 mag.I would take a single shot nothing fancy.

I always wondered why h&r or nef never produced a matched set of revolver and break open rifle.......probably executive stupidity.

Don't dream it, do it !!!

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/ed.html

I read those essays years ago_One of the reasons I am interested in getting one was those articles.One day I will have to get in touch with a gunsmith who is competant.The only local guy that I know of locally that calls himself a gunsmith cannot even drill and tap a barrel much less machine anything. I think his claim to be a gunsmith is assembling AR kits.

I feel you pain...

We had one in the district who would take the Martini Henry in .310, and make absoluteley beautiful machines...along with most of the target rifles for the local crowd.

Alas, he retired, and we've no-one in 45 miles who we can even transfer a rifle through, let alone do squat other than sell kit.

Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
S&W Model 16(or related) chambered in 327 Federal Magnum.

The last "new" gun made in this chambering was a Ruger Single 7 a couple of years ago. They made it in 3 barrel lengths, and I think set an initial run of 2000 in each barrel length. After calling several stores in town as soon as I heard about it, I managed to get one from the first batch in 5 3/8"(I should have just bought all three-the store had them in stock). That was the only store to get these.

I was told that demand was such that they made an additional 1000 in each barrel length. From what I've seen, the used market price has held steady on them, although I would not part with mine.

S&W made a model 16 in 32 H&R Mag. Apparently it received the same heat treatment as the 19, which means that the cylinder is MORE than strong enough to handle 327 Mag pressures. The K-frame cylinder is also-relatively speaking-quite long since it's a legacy design from the 32-20(one of the two original chamberings of the K frame) and the 327, although longer than a 357 Magnum, is shorter than a 32-20. I've known of many Model 16s in 32 H&R that have been rechambered for 327(all that needs to be done is cut back the throat in the cylinder to allow the longer cartridge) but I'd like to have an officially sanctioned one.

Unfortunately, I think 327 is a cartridge that may well has seen its peak in popularity(if you could ever have called it popular). The Single 7 in 2014 or 2015(I forget when exactly) caught some attention, but it still mostly fell back under the radar afterwards.

Gret post, I'll take one with a 6" barrel and a Patridge front sight.

I feel you pain...

We had one in the district who would take the Martini Henry in .310, and make absoluteley beautiful machines...along with most of the target rifles for the local crowd.

Alas, he retired, and we've no-one in 45 miles who we can even transfer a rifle through, let alone do squat other than sell kit.

I would love Martini in 32 mag but in the US they tend to be pricey,I may have to buy a beatup old 32 rimfire .Then get it converted to centerfire.There are videos out there that show how to do it.

I feel you pain...

I would love Martini in 32 mag but in the US they tend to be pricey,I may have to buy a beatup old 32 rimfire .Then get it converted to centerfire.There are videos out there that show how to do it.

Did you ever think about a re-barrel on a Ruger No.1 or No.3?

I am trying to convince Hi-Point to build a .45 Colt on their Carbine frame. They have have one in .45 Auto and are introducing one in 10mm so building one in .45 Colt should be fairly straightforward.

https://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

I have the .45 Colt in a Lever Action Winchester 94AE and love this round for deer hunting in this state since they they now allow straight-wall pistol cartridges in rifles.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I am trying to convince Hi-Point to build a .45 Colt on their Carbine frame. They have have one in .45 Auto and are introducing one in 10mm so building one in .45 Colt should be fairly straightforward.

https://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

I have the .45 Colt in a Lever Action Winchester 94AE and love this round for deer hunting in this state since they they now allow straight-wall pistol cartridges in rifles.

But the rimmed cartridge of the 45 Colt would hurt reliability somewhat in a semi auto (although Magnum Research and Coonan have it figured out). I also think the cost of ammo would make it difficult to sell a ton of them.

I emailed hipoint years ago and asked, no, demanded, that they stop using their stupid proprietary junk 10 rd or less mags, and just redesign their guns to take reliable, industry standard Glock magazines.

I have no use for a hipoint as is. I could find a use for a 9mm carbine that takes Glock magazines. A 9mm carbine with 33rd Glock mags would sell like hotcakes.

Their response to me was that they already sell every gun they make, and are content with that.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I emailed hipoint years ago and asked, no, demanded, that they stop using their stupid proprietary junk 10 rd or less mags, and just redesign their guns to take reliable, industry standard Glock magazines.

I have no use for a hipoint as is. I could find a use for a 9mm carbine that takes Glock magazines. A 9mm carbine with 33rd Glock mags would sell like hotcakes.

Their response to me was that they already sell every gun they make, and are content with that.

Plenty of 9mm Glock mag carbines out there. You have the Kel Tec Sub2000, there is the MechTech, the FX9, and the TNW survival rifle. That is off the top of my head. So the variety shows you are right, a glock mag carbine sells well as there are plenty of players for the market.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

But the rimmed cartridge of the 45 Colt would hurt reliability somewhat in a semi auto (although Magnum Research and Coonan have it figured out). I also think the cost of ammo would make it difficult to sell a ton of them.

The rim on 45 Colt is fairly small-enough so that Winchester/JM Browning claimed back in the day that they couldn't make it reliably feed in a lever action(although of course 73s and 92 in 45 Colt are now plentiful).

The rim is a BIT bigger relative to the cartridge diameter than 38 Super, but it's still close enough that I'd almost class it as "semi-rimmed." 1911s in 38 Super are every bit as reliable as their 45 ACP cousins. Starline(and maybe others) make rimless "38 Super Comp" brass, but I've not seen any reliability difference in using it. In fact, I don't make a habit out of using it as normal semi-rimmed Super brass is easy to pick out from 9mm on the range floor while the rimless brass blends in. If I'm shooting with the Comp brass, I often end up carting off a lot of 9mm that's not mine just because it gets mixed in with the Super brass too easily.

I'll also mention my dead reliable S&W 52 with low power 38 Special wadcutters.

Even back in WWII, the Russians managed to have quite a reliable rifle in the SVT-40 using the 7.62x54R cartridge. In fact, judging by the one a friend of mine owned for a weekend(and returned) it feeds the 7.62x54R a little bit TOO reliably
smile.gif

I ran that question by my wife. Her "gun I wish they made" has the following parameters:

The size of a 3" S&W J frame
Carries at least 10 rounds
Has the power of a 30m/m canon round
Has the recoil and muzzle blast of my .177 pellet rifle
Weighs no more than 15 ounces.

. . . I've suggested she read more of Issac Newton's laws of physics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back