What fuel are you running?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Van: 87 E10 (Petro Canada or Canadian Tire)
ATS: 94 E10 (Petro Canada)
Bike: 91 E0 (Canadian Tire) or any 87 when on trips in remote areas (think fresher gas)
Small Engines: 91 E0 (Canadian Tire) + stabil + mmo. I leave all small engines topped right up for storage. They start first pull every season.

For my Honda brushcutter, since it's a 4-stroke I run 89 octane ethanol-free (Union 76) with regular Sta-Bil. Only a few stations in my area have it but the nearest station is only 5 miles away. I talked to Honda and they recommended non-ethanol gas whenever possible and also Sta-Bil.

On my 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 liter with 420 hp/390 ft-lbs torque, I run highest octane gas available. Hard to believe the thing has 11:1 compression and will run on any pump gas. And at idle it purrs like an, uh, tiger. Combined MPG? 15.

On my Nissan Versa Note (which is my daily driver), I run the cheapest gas available: 87 octane. Combined MPG? 38.

Yukon and 3 mazdas (including 13:1 compression ratio mazda3) get 87 e10 at Costco or Sams Club.

X3 gets BP 93 (as its tuned to 350hp or so)

135i gets e55 blend with BP 93 (as its tuned to 600hp)

Small engine stuff, go karts, snow blowers, lawn mowers and zero turn all get 91 E0.

Wawa E0, 89 in OPE with Stabil

Shell E10, 87 in Vehicles because it's behind my neighborhood.

Occasionally, Chevron 93 when I find a station on the road.

Whatever is cheapest for the water cooled engines and 92 octane for the aircooled. The sthil equipment seems to start and run best on 92 93 octane so we keep the cans full with summer blend and fuel saver.

In my small engines. 93 E10 made into 90ish E0 with Amsoil octane booster. The 2 cycle gets Amsoil Saber with the same fuel.

Since both my vehicles run on premium.. 91 oct ROM from Costco 99% of the time.

ALL my small engine get the same... lawnmowers, snowblower, weed wackers, chain saws, generators.

case in point.. when I purchased my Husqy chainsaw.. the sales staff advised me to run 91 oct in EVERY small engine I own.> what ever the make..
I believe because 91 oct has no acl in it..

I heeded his advise...
its worked for me so far.. a little STP fuel additive works well too..!!!!

Exxon or Shell regular in cars, trucks, both mowers … Tru Fuel or Stihl E0 pre mix high octane in the chainsaw …

Whatever my next car fill up is, that is what the OPE will get. 87 octane with 10% ethanol. Never an issue. Gas is gas. It all comes from the same distribution hub - the only difference is whatever tiny amount of brand additive is added before it gets to the retailer.

There isn't any benefit to using fuel with a higher octane rating than 87 in a low compression small engine. Even if the combustion chamber is badly carboned-up, the compression ratio will not be high enough to necessitate the use of a higher octane fuel.

Originally Posted by wag123
There isn't any benefit to using fuel with a higher octane rating than 87 in a low compression small engine. Even if the combustion chamber is badly carboned-up, the compression ratio will not be high enough to necessitate the use of a higher octane fuel.

I use it because its easy to fill the jerry can after I fill my truck, and the main reason is because its the only grade that has no ethanol in it around here.

I run 93 ethanol free premium fuel in all my non highway equipment and OPE. In 8 years I have had zero carburetor issues and some of this stuff sits 6-8 months at a time. I do not run any ethanol % fuel in any of my equipment or customer repairs. It costs me around $3 a gallon and have zero problem paying that...... it's dark yellowish green color like gas used to look like.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back