What Fram SureDrain size for a Honda V6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new Honda Ridgeline truck and would like to put a Fram SureDrain plug on it at my first oil change. I called Advance Auto to see if they had one to fit and they said their book does not even have Ridgelines in it yet. The Ridgeline has a V6 3.5 engine which I have to assume is similar to the engine they put in some other models but I don't know what they are. Fram's website is no help either. Does anyone know if Fram makes one for these Hondas?

My dad has Vue with the Honda Engine which is the same as yours.

The one he had on his 2001 Honda Civic LX with the 1.7 fit his Vue perfect.

I think all the Hondas take the same unit.

Just get the one for the civic and your set!
fruit.gif

Works great on his engine. (and all the other engines we have installed them on!)
grin.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Marty, I thought we agreed you were just going to take it to the quickie lube....
But since you're still here, I think you would be happier with a Fumoto oil drain valve. Seems it's just that little bit better than a Fram Sure Drain.

Hi Tosh, yes, I remember the quickie lube advice since I won't be putting all that many miles on the truck. But I saw this contraption and it intrigued me.

I use to change my own oil all the time and thought I might just do it again with the Ridgeline, not because I can't afford to go to Jiffy Lube but just to get under there and mess around a little.

It use to give me a lot of satisfaction just changing my own oil, looking at the color and texture, finding stuff in it (sometimes) and just getting a feeling for it. I may do it once and never again but if I decide to go this route, the Fram device sounded pretty neat. And thanks for the tip, I'll do a search of Fumoto and see what that is all about.

I took the Fram SD3 out of my nissan and installed it in my Camry, so I suspect most Japanese manufacturers use the same size. Surprisingly, my Subaru had a 20mm plug and Fram doesn't offer one large enough. Subaru seems to do a lot of things slightly different however.

Just got to an auto parts store that sells them. They will look the size up just like any other part.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:

But since you're still here, I think you would be happier with a Fumoto oil drain valve. Seems it's just that little bit better than a Fram Sure Drain.

offtopic.gif

I've got to ask..
rolleyes.gif

How is it better?

Thanks, Bill

The Fumoto got more raves on another recent thread. Plus it's more expensive, so it must be better.
But now that we're on the topic again, I'm going on record as refusing to use one at all. I'm not entrusting the duty of holding back my oil to a flimsy brass valve. I also feel that spending money on this type of convenience will result in bad motoring karma.

The Sure drain is a great product and it's inexpensive and available at Autozone and other parts stores. The fumoto is snazzy, expensive and hangs down lower which doesn't work for me.

I'll be the first one to actually answer the original question..
The proper sure drain part for the Ridgelineis the SD-2 Check this fancy chart out.. took me a few seconds on google to find it.
http://www.trasko-usa.com/dv-1.htm

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
The Fumoto got more raves on another recent thread. Plus it's more expensive, so it must be better.

Cost more = better service... I'm screwed.. I run .49 cent a quart oil.. My engine will fail soon I guess?
rolleyes.gif

just kidding
cheers.gif

quote:

But now that we're on the topic again, I'm going on record as refusing to use one at all. I'm not entrusting the duty of holding back my oil to a flimsy brass valve.

The Sure drain uses a spring to hold shut a valve then you have a cover with a O-ring to keep the dirt and such out of the valve. The cover also would prevent any oil to escape *if* the valve / spring combo failed.

The Fumoto has a detent to keep it from opening but if it did, the oil would drain out. Also there is a slight chance of the lever getting caught on something and opening.

Also the Fumoto hangs down lower than the Sure Drain. The end is also open so it could allow dirt into it. (though I've heard that Fumoto now ships with a cover for the nipple
cool.gif
)

I've seen both and have friends who use the Fumoto and am happy with the sure drains.

quote:

I also feel that spending money on this type of convenience will result in bad motoring karma.

You may have something here...
shocked.gif

Ever since I went to a Fram Sure Drain, The cost of Gas has kept going up.... Thats bad motoring Karma if I ever seen some!
gr_stretch.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Once you've used one, You will be impressed. It's so nice to put the tube into the recycle container and just drain away. Samples are soooo easy.
fruit.gif

Thanks guys, I guess I can't go wrong with either of these products. BTW, I bought several Honda filters and they come with a washer, which I assume you have to replace each time you change oil. The washer goes between the drain pan and drain plug. I wonder if this washer would still be necessary with either the Fumoto or Fram drain plug? Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back