What do you use for maintenance records?

Excel. That way I can include mistakes made, special tools needed to do the job, reminders of specific information for the next time if I should need to do the repair years down the line, etc. So much easier than having to go through a spiral notebook. I also save my Excel file in a couple of places (including the cloud) so I can access it from multiple computers/devices.

Take pictures of the receipt and parts. For oil changes put the filter in front of the dash and take a picture to show the odometer reading. Upload everything to google drive folder and log it in a google spreadsheet. If you ever go to sell you can just send them a link to inspect the google document. They will be able to see all the pictures and receipts and spreadsheet.

I bought all the filters and oils I needed when I got the vehicle and now change stuff at 10k/50k/75k intervals. That way I don't need to remember much. So far the car hasn't needed anything but consumables anyway.

I used to keep track of fuel consumption until I was satisfied the mpg reported by the car was within 3% of hand calcs so gave up on that and just keep an eye on the mpg display.

I buy a spiral notebook for each one. I am not good at keeping records on the computer and hard copy is easy for me just to write it down cause my hands get tired from typing.

I'm wondering the different ways people keep track of their maintenance and costs on their vehicles?

-Pen and paper? (I did it this way for years, to bad I can never find my lil booklets, lol)
-App? Any good suggestions on basic ones (I don't need fuel graphs etc, many seem to have way to much info!)?
-memory?

I'm just trying to find a good way to keep track of stuff (more so I know when I need to do it next.)
Google sheets so that it is accessible anywhere. I don't track costs at all, only service items and their dates and mileage.

Google sheets automated with JavaScript which sends me reminder to my Gmail when certain maintenance items are due based on last date of service. Also use it to keep track of mileage.
Example of Tracking Mileage:
Mileage.jpg

Oil Changes
Oil.jpg

Well, I've only owned a handful of vehicles and my system has evolved a little for each new purchase. Here is what I'm doing with the new truck:

First, I keep a manila file folder with all receipts; for all work done myself I staple the applicable parts receipts (and sometimes the proof-of-purchase/UPC) to a sheet of printer paper and hand-write a description of the date, mileage, work performed, and parts used. The manila folder w/receipts is kept in the house.
In the truck, I keep a composition notebook in the glovebox; within this notebook I hand-write a brief description of the maintenance (date, mileage, work performed). I start a new page each time maintenance is performed. No personal info gets recorded in the notebook; it is assigned to the truck forever... if I sell the truck, I'll probably keep the manila file folder & receipts, but the maintenance notebook stays with the truck.

This way, I basically duplicate all my maintenance records; if one set gets lost, I have a backup. I also have a record in the truck always, which can be helpful.

Here's the partial Google Sheet Maintenance Records with links to products I use in my Golf.
Maintenance.jpg

Excel, but I also scan all maintenance related receipts.

if I have either a warranty issue or if I’m just selling the vehicle, I print them out and make a file. Never had an issue

I lost all my OPE data when mybriggsand stratton.com lost it. When I complained they said said sorry I'll have to reenter it. As if I would ever use them again. Fast forward a few years, now they are bankrupt.

I had a fuel app on Android I used a few years back. (Not fuelly) I got a new phone, backed up my data to the cloud, got logged in OK, data ok. Reset the old phone, new phone got broken and replaced under warranty. No account , no data... App company went under. 2-3 Years data lost.

I use an accordian folder for receipts, LibreOffice for records, all shared privately on my devices with ownCloud and backed up on my own media.

Back