What do you use for maintenance records?

Fuelly

CF97D916-FC0B-4F42-907E-132B8C2CFF21.png

Spreadsheet, one column for date, one column for mileage, and another for items done.

Of course it is searchable, so if I just can't visually spot an item, I can still find it easily enough.

Excel spreadsheet, and a digital/computer folder with receipts, and for local B&M paper receipts, I scan them to an image because those thermal receipts often use disappearing "ink", though I still file them in a (physical world cabinet style, lol) folder too.

I have just been keeping a small pocket sized notebook in the glovebox and recording oil changes, new tires and other work in them for many years. I leave it in the car when I sell it. I keep the receipts for major work in a file cabinet folder.

Here's a tip. Get a Fisher Space Pen for your glovebox. They don't dry out from the heat and fail when you need them. I got one for Christmas in 1985 and believe it or not just had to buy a refill for it a few months ago. I was quite impressed. Of course the new production refill will probably fail within a year.....

Simple text file in Windows to record what/when/who, then copy & pasted into the Honda Owners site. Receipts are scanned and saved digitally.

Note 2: I tally monthly for cars and bimonthly for the trucklette. I fill-up the day I get my plates thus inaugurating my data book. That date is the tally day for the life of my vehicles. Currently the car is the 26th, trucklette is the 10th. It entertains me.
Note 3: The Excel sheet gets a "delta" (miles that month), mpg and $/gal. columns.
I also include a notes column. Long or multiple highway trips, COVID-19 lock-downs and snowfalls are noted.

And heaven's yes, thorough records and receipts help sell a vehicle but there'll always be someone who will question their truthfulness.

I suppose I can accept meticulous records if you derive enjoyment from it. If OCD driven and feelings of uncomfortable drive it, then I part ways with it.

Approaching my mid-sixties, I think meticulous record keeping is over rated and constitutes time suckage. I keep "just enough" and spend the least amount of time possible on it. Receipts in an envelop are there IF and When I need the information. No use spending tons of time duplicating their information and a fancy filing system.

After telling a used car candidate my maintenance schedule and recent work (i.e., brakes), I've never resorted to showing or giving them my maintenance records. People who even care about this stuff know when a person has taken good care of the vehicle. And, mine are always daily driver vehicles that are close to worn out.

KISS principle for me. Receipts in an envelope and minimum notes in a notebook (I seem to keep up better compared to reentering stuff in Excel).

I'm not that organized. I write a date on oil filters for OPE stuff, but otherwise I just watch the mileage on my rigs and catch things when they are due.

I am using an Excel spreadsheet, which I started back in 2004.

I still have a tab with records for a motorcycle that I bought in 2003, sold in 2011, and the new owner killed himself on in 2013. I guess I could delete that tab any time now....

Last edited:
I've been using the MyCarFax app for my last bunch of vehicles. I used to save lube, oil and filter receipts. Now it's kind of tough when I mail-order 5qt jugs 3-4 at a time and filters by the mult-pack. I tend to use 5w30 where 0 or 5w20 is recommended as well, so no sense in keeping the receipts.

I can see meticulous records being of importance for a collector, classic or high dollar vehicle. For a run of the mill, mill? I've never had records mean anything at trade-in time.

I'm surprised at the number of people using Excel.
I used a lil notebook before for most of my vehicles, or memory. My memory sucks now though lol.
I'll have to check out some of these apps or just get another notebook again...

Small binder filled with clear pocket inserts and my phone where I created an "oil change" album. I snap pics of mileage and oil used.

Back