What do you think about 0W-40, 5W-50 and 10W-60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about motor oils with a very high viscosity index like 0W-40, 5W-50 and 10W-60? In Europe there is even one company that makes a 5W-60.
shocked.gif

I think this is a great idea on paper but how well does it really work? I have seen at least three good UOA's done on Castrol Syntec 5W-50 but this still seems to be the oil that people love to hate!

Mobil sell 5W-50 Mobil 1 down here.

I've read the 10W-40 being too much spread story. That 10W-30 is better than 5W-30 (and much better than 0W-30). etc etc

I like the idea of oil circulating quickly on a start, and a good film thickness hot.

Hate the idea of V.I.I.s shearing down quickley in service.

I see european manufacturers using high (relative to the "norms" on the BB) Viscosity, and Viscosity Index oils for very long drain periods.

I'm now confused more than ever on what's a good idea.
banghead.gif

5W60 isn't high. 45W70 now that's more like it!!
No CAFE in Europe, Oz etc. IMO we are way too hung up on viscosity as nobody can say thicker/thinner is better or worse in any consistent manner, and there are a lot of UOA's here now. Better get my flame retardant clothes out as I can feel some heat a comin!

Hey Sprintman. I'm truly wondering what the pumpability numbers are for a 45w-70 Oil ? It would seem this weight of oil would only be used in a motor that's ready for a rebuild anyway. Another question I have, what kind of fuel economy could one expect from such a robust formulation ? If the engines of today truly have tighter tolerances and I believe they do ( to gain more H.P. primarily ) would it be possible to put an oil this heavy into these newer engines, that are already producing extreme heat, and have any chance of maintaining the heat levels at their current numbers ? Input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Why doesn't M-1 make a 5-50 in N.A.??? Although appropriate for climates like Mexico or Australia...15-50 in Canada is pretty thick. Is it so they can sell more 5-30/10-30?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
Why doesn't M-1 make a 5-50 in N.A.??? Although appropriate for climates like Mexico or Australia...15-50 in Canada is pretty thick. Is it so they can sell more 5-30/10-30?

Like I've said many times, there aren't many cars out there that actually need 50wt oils, so why should Mobil 1 bother trying to sell a 5w50 here? The diehards that want their 50wt oil will just use their 15w50 anyways.

The 5w30/10w30 viscosity is all that most people need. The market for oils in viscosities other than this is extremely small.

Dr.T, I still think you would see better engine wear numbers with Mobil 1 0w40 than you would with 15w50. Plus you'd get the cold weather performance you need too.

Yeah, but what I was referring to is the plethora of 5-50 weight oils by comparison. ie. Q.S., Pennzoil, Castrol, Esso Superflo, even Can. Tire Synthetic.

I've tried M-1 0-40...first off, wasn't too keen on paying $10/L at Porsche dealership...second, it's not for me. Made the most mechanical noises all the time of any Mobil brand used...especially when the engine is first started. I attributed this to too thin of a film thickness at startup. Not that this can cause damage, it just sounded bad on a high mileage engine. Different sound from the opposite..an oil that's too thick at startup on an engine that has maintained a steady diet of 5w...

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:

I've tried M-1 0-40...first off, wasn't too keen on paying $10/L at Porsche dealership...second, it's not for me. Made the most mechanical noises all the time of any Mobil brand used...especially when the engine is first started. I attributed this to too thin of a film thickness at startup.

At 40c, Mobil 1 0w40 has a viscosity of 80.3cst though, so it's not a thin oil by any means, it's got a thicker 40c viscosity than most 10w30 and 5w30 oils out there.

Considering you were the one on here who first discovered it, have you thought about giving the German 0w30 Castrol a try? It might surprise you.

Correct, but at 10, 15, 20 C (1st startup in the AM) it's thinner than a 5w or 10w.....and M-1 oils are already sewing-machine thin...

I was thinking about using the 0-30 in my next oil change due this week, but I still can't get myself to go back to a 30 weight. I used an A3 5-30 and was not happy with what it did to my engine. Still think I need some cohones with the thicker oil...engine runs quieter and smoother.

Dr. T, why don't you give fullsynthtic Pentosin a try? You can check out their various oils here:
pentosin.de They have interesting 5W-40, 10W-40, and 5W-50 fullsynthtic oil. At least their 5W-40 is available in the USA (from ecs tuning).

[ June 24, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I forgot to mention, Pentosin products have been used as OEM by many German brands, and Pentosin is involved in racing, too.

PS: Looks like I get dyslexic when typing "synthetic" today!
rolleyes.gif

Yeah, it's probably good stuff as that's what BMW uses for the hydraulic system/power steering fluid...the synthetic Pentosin 11S.

Do you know if they make gear and tranny fluids as well? Thanx again.

Problem Solver 45W70 is for 'older engines'. I use 25W60 for several trs in my turbo and not a problem. If they are making 45W70 somebody must be buying it. Can't imagine who though.

I just gave my 1999 Mitsubishi Mirage to my mother. My wife and I had three cars and one motorcycle for just the two of us. I will ask my mother if she will let me drive her old 1994 Geo Prizm for the next few months so we can get another UOA of Castrol Syntec 5W-50
grin.gif
With any luck we will have a 4,000 or 5,000 UOA in the fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back