What do we think of the Jeep Renegade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

My Wife and I purchased a 2018 Jeep Renegade around two weeks ago. It's a 1.6 e.Torq (basically a Tritec engine with a 16v head) with a 5 speed manual box and front wheel drive only. It's only got 9,000miles on the clock and is absolutely immaculate. 24 hours after purchasing I was pulling off (gently might I add) and the clutch plate decided it didn't want to be in the gearbox any more.

The car has spent two weeks in a Jeep dealer and we've been told it's going to be another 4 weeks before it can be repaired.

The dealer we purchased the car off has been fantastic. They put us in a hire car as soon as the car broke, and call us nearly daily to make sure everything is okay. They have given us three options.

Option 1, They've offered to leave us in the hire car until the Jeep is fixed and offered to extend the warranty to 5 years/100k over the standard 3 year/60k manufacturers warranty.

Option 2, we can have a full refund.

Option 3, they have a 2017 Renegade in stock with 18k on the clock which we can 'swap' for. They will extend the warranty to 5 years/100k and give us a £2000 refund.

We are siding with option 3 at the moment. The first Renegade we purchased is Solar Yellow and the 2017 is Omaha Orange. Both are exactly the same specification.

Generally, are the Renegades reliable? Or should we just take the refund and look for something else?

Hmm, you bought an unreliable brand, with an undersized engine that only makes power from overstress, then despite getting a jeep, you got one with only FWD, so, don't ask me what I think of that (lol).

The manual tranny was the only positive.

Since you don't seem to have offroading as a priority, you're off your rocker for even considering a jeep.

Originally Posted by motts
It is a Fiat 500

It is a Fiat 500x.

A family member has a Renegade, 1.4T MultiAir. Since 2015 it has needed 1 new ABS pump, 1 new AirCon compressor, 1 power steering pump and a new Radio when it stopped recieving digital broadcasts. I've never owned or driven one but given the experience of the family member I dont think I ever will.

Option 2. If you are set on a Jeep, get one with a Pentastar v6. Though in your case it sounds more like a manufacturing flaw than anything, though I'm not too familiar with the renegades or the 5 speed manuals.

My coworkers wife had a renegade with the 2.4 which burned about a quart of oil a week. My brothers Dart with the 2.4 started burning oil around 50k. I'd avoid that engine at all costs.

Also, this is BITOG. Any mention of anything German or FCA seems to spark a friggin witch trial.

Last edited:
Option 2, we can have a full refund.

Take the money, and don't look back.

Full refund could buy you a 2 year old car in good condition with enough money left over to buy a track toy or take her on a nice holiday somewhere warm.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2016-66-Seat-Ateca-1-6TDI-115ps-Ecomotive-s-s-SE-Technology/202918861184?hash=item2f3ee81980:g:BhEAAOSwQZFeT~Tw

Last edited:
I used to live in Omaha and have never heard of Omaha Orange. Curious, where did that come from? I'd dump the entire brand and go for something else. The dealer seems to be treating you well though.

I would buy a Jeep with the 3.6 engine and probably go with a Grand Cherokee which is more money but they ride really nice. Take the refund option and go out and find a used one for about the same price. I wouldn't fix the one you have if it takes that long to repair because it might happen again.

I
Originally Posted by sopususer
Run from Fiat produced "Jeeps." (Unless you like the taste of the coffee and snacks in your dealer's service department waiting area.)

Wait a bit longer and they will be Peugeot Jeeps.

Originally Posted by Ws6
It's a Jeep. That's what I think of it, lol!

Buy a quality replacement from someone not at the bottom of all of the reliability studies, and be happy.

https://www.truedelta.com/Jeep-Renegade/reliability-1289
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/jeep/renegade

Really? This is anecdotal, but I've had a good run with every Jeep, so far. I had a 93 Wrangler for 10 years and 140k miles that never had an issue. I've got an 08 Wrangler with 140k that has been good, with no major issues. My 2018 JL Wrangler has been perfect after 2 years and 28k miles. We have a Renegade for my daughter with 28k that has had zero issues. The 04 Grand Cherokee has had a few issues related to previous owner neglect. We've fixed it up and it is doing quite well. 110k miles now, but only 7k by us.

Keep in mind, with the Wranglers, I've beaten the snot out of them off road.

The thing that skews the quality ratings are soft tops and removable hard tops. By themselves they'd knock a Wrangler far down the list. They can be quirky. I'd say, though, that the new JL Wrangler's top is dramatically improved.

Back on the subject of Renegades, that little car is simply outstanding in bad winter conditions. I drove it in a hard snow with 6" on the ground on unplowed roads and it was like a cat on velcro. It also handles surprisingly well on dry pavement. The 2.4 and 9 speed are nothing to write home about, but have been reliable. I'm 6'5" tall and the thing has tons of room in the driver's seat. It gets decent mileage. Most importantly, my daughter absolutely loves it. She's racking the miles up quickly.

I don't know much about the turbo 4, but I know a guy on a Renegade forum with the turbo and manual and he just clicked past 300k miles and said he's had no trouble with it and loves it.

I did have to repair a couple things on ours when we bought it (It was a rebuilt title due to hail damage and a severe curb bash). We had to wait several weeks for a right front lower control arm and right front axle shaft. I was told the factory parts were a pain to find.

So, my reliability study has gone well. I'm keeping the Wranglers until the won't run anymore. They have lifetime warranties. The 08 looks and runs like new. LOTS of life left in it. I don't think too many vehicles would do as well with the numerous off-road beatings this thing has taken.

OP, I hope it works out for you. It sounds like parts are a challenge there, too.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Option 2. If you are set on a Jeep, get one with a Pentastar v6. Though in your case it sounds more like a manufacturing flaw than anything, though I'm not too familiar with the renegades or the 5 speed manuals.

My coworkers wife had a renegade with the 2.4 which burned about a quart of oil a week. My brothers Dart with the 2.4 started burning oil around 50k. I'd avoid that engine at all costs.

Also, this is BITOG. Any mention of anything German or FCA seems to spark a friggin witch trial.

Not just here, everywhere. And it's not "anything German". Fiat/Chrysler's quality sucks, overall. This isn't a revelation.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Not just here, everywhere. And it's not "anything German". Fiat/Chrysler's quality sucks, overall. This isn't a revelation.

Another FCA thread, and same people running their mouths. If you stepped out of your little echo chamber, you'd find people happy with their "terrible" vehicles.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back