What do we know about this product gentlemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
I like their auto trans fluid, says it good for DexVI. What are your thoughts on that ??

I'm thinking the same thing....

I believe Johnny has posted about this oil before, one of the original pennsylvania oil?, bought and sold a few times ,now made by amalie in Florida, Amalie is a well respected brand among racers and supplies a lot of private brands like federated auto parts fluids, wich we use some of in our fleet, I have also used wolfs head trans fluid in our fleet of school buses and is the current fill in my personal car,seems to be good product. A lot of the private auto parts stores here have sold wolfs head brand for years and it used to have a big following among the old timers. RE:dave87rs kendall&motorcraft is cheap too, I think it just may be they dont have huge advertising budgets

Who knows, since the product is now owned by SOPUS and probably/possibly has a different formula than the original formula about which all the crazy claims were made.

net/net the product is an expensive mystery oil.

I wouldn't buy it given the excessive claimed benefits, past history of sillyness, and RDS's extensive involvement in Iran.

North Central Pennsylvania, where many oil brands originated, was rather wild country a hundred years ago. There were wolves. Also high quality crude. So likely the name was meant to invoke the area the crude came from.

Still kind of wild there. If you ever went to Watkins Glen, or Coopersville, what did you drive through? They may be in NY, but it is a long ways from I 80 to I 90 through rather empty country on either side of the state line.

I certainly hope the current Wolf's head isn't anything like it was when it was an independent company. I don't think any of us want an SE oil today.

Their universal transmission fluid claims to meet Type A, Ford Type F, all CVTs, Z1, TIV, +4, Mercon V, Allison TES-295 & TES-389, Caterpillar Power Shift TO-2, & other transmissions that they may not be aware of at this time. Actually it says that may not be on the list but they list pretty much everything. Ha! So funny yet sad at the same time. Their fluids might work, but it would be in line with the old adage that a blind squirrel finds a nut every now & then.

Not quite on the original topic ..but I asked about their 5w-20

Dear Mr Allan,

Thanks for your interest in the Wolf’s Head oil.

Although the typical cSt @ 100C range for a 5W20 is 8.5-9.0, the API requirements are between 5.6 and 9.3.

The Noack volatility (ASTM D5800) for an SM oil is limited to 15% max @250C – our Syn-Pack is much closer to 10%.

The AmalieStore.com web site is not owned by Amalie Oil Company, it is run by one of our distributors and the product offering is solely at their discretion. If you let me know where you are located I can put you in touch with our District Manager who may be able to steer you in the direction of a local distributor, or if you prefer to purchase from the amaliestore.com site, I would suggest you contact Jim Walczak at [email protected] and let him know your interest – if the volume warrants, I’m sure he would bring in any item you request.

Have a great day.

- Andrew

Thanks for posting that.
Maybe it's a meaningless concern since it is within spec.--but that's pretty darn thin at full temperature.

In years past their ATF has been used by many as it is listed as working in a lot of applications. You normally see it as a price leader for small transmission and Technician shop's.You seldom see a very good representation of their products in quarts. By the drum it is very afforadable and allows smaller shops to compete since they do not need to keep 6 different products in stock. I am speaking only about their ATF though not their oils. I know very little about their oils since they ahve been sold so many times!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back