Do we know of any OEMs using a specific break-in oil?

Specifically Nissa?

Because that is what I just bought a 2023 Armada with the VK56VD and I was wondering if I should or should not do an oil change at 1000 miles.

Oil looks real good now, not "off" or anything at 730 miles.

Specifically Nissa?

Because that is what I just bought a 2023 Armada with the VK56VD and I was wondering if I should or should not do an oil change at 1000 miles.

I bought a 2023 Kona N and my Hyundai/Kia mechanic who runs a high performance shop told me it's not a bad idea on all vehicles to get factory oil out by 1k miles. Might be some metal shaving or assembly lube from the process. So go ahead and do an oil change and filter now and then start your 6month or 5K mile drain intervals

do whatever you want... not that it makes any difference mechanically but you know you won't feel right about the subject until you change the oil. :)

I don't think domestic automakers have used break in oil for the past 50 years. Don't know what overseas manufacturers do. I've never changed the oil early in the few new vehicles I've owned and the vast majority of new vehicles on the road never have. Only the "oil nuts" here seem to practice this. I guess they don't trust their oil filters?

On my 2008 Chevy LS 6.0 engine, I ran the first OCI the full length of the monitor’s recommendation. Fifteen years later, the engine has 280,000 miles and does not burn oil. That’s what an oil filter does, it takes out any particles you might find in a new engine regardless of whether or not there is a benefit from assembly lube. No need to change early.

Don't know what overseas manufacturers do.

No mass-produced passenger car manufacturer is using special brake-in oil. If they do, they do it as part of the manufacturing process before the engine is mounted into the car and filled with the oil that the customer gets - i.e. some special oil might be used when the engine is first rotated on the assembly line. All European manufacturers assemble the car, fill it with liquids, start the car, and drive it away to a testing line and then to a parking lot. At that moment the car is ready for the end user. The new owner is instructed that an early oil change is not needed at all and standard OCI interval should be followed - here it is usually 15 000 km to 30 000 km (i.e. 10k miles to 20k miles/12 months or when the computer decides - max is 24 months).

A sensitive driver can notice that there is some break-in process going on during the first few thousand miles.
I believe premium/boutique oils might slow down this initial process. For the first oil change, I have always preferred some average oil over some excellent oil, which I then use later on.

With a new car, I have always reduced at least the first standard OCI to approximately 50%. However, most people here in Europe just follow the standard OCI (10+kmiles /12+ months) since the car is new and follow it for the whole time they own the vehicle. Many old cars, for some unknown reason, consume oil excessively - sticking piston rings, worn rings and sludge are completely unrelated to long OCIs.

Last edited:
If the manual doesn’t tell you to do a break-in oil change then I wouldn’t worry about it…

There is a very high probability the majority of the purchased used vehicles on this forum never got a break-in oil change. Yet the same people will say it is a must on a new vehicle.

Specifically Nissa?

Kia/hyundai definitely using special break-in oil especially in there Theta motors

I bought a 2023 Kona N and my Hyundai/Kia mechanic who runs a high performance shop told me it's not a bad idea on all vehicles to get factory oil out by 1k miles. Might be some metal shaving or assembly lube from the process. So go ahead and do an oil change and filter now and then start your 6month or 5K mile drain intervals
When I was in my 20s and I had a 65 VW bug my buddy built a 1865 for me after we assemble the engine and did the break-in the oil was immediately changed ran that oil for 500 miles changed it again and then did that all way up to 3000 miles every 500 miles. And each time I will cut the oil filter open, and I will see pieces of metal shavings from breaking in. It wouldn’t hurt to change the oil. I don’t know what the factory does. Do they build a motor start it break it and change the oil I don’t know the only one who could answer that is somebody was on this form that actually built the engines

Specifically Nissa?

Nope

Can't hurt to change oil & filter @ 1,000 miles. Then do your normal OCI's. That's what I would do. Great Engine on these Nissan's.

Unless something has changed , Nissan recommended 5k OCI including the initial one . That's what I did on my Titan and never looked back . I'm at 55k miles and zero issues .

So went to the dealer today who strongly recommended to me to not change the oil this early.
I was at 930 miles (when I arrived).
Had my trusty Mobil 1 filter in my hand.
Its not that they outright refused but I did not press the issue either.
The oil does still look real good (and in the back of my head I am not all that enthusiastic about the dealers 0w-20 oil)

And now tonite at 960 miles (bascially a 1000) there is zero detectable loss of oil (I looked very carefully).
Which I think is great tells me the rings are fully seated and likely have been, for some time.
I cant wait to be full broken in at wring out this engine.
Most folks seem to agree the armada perforams even better than one would expect the engine to do from its on paper numbers.
Realistically I know 80-90 % of breakin probbaly happens somewhere between 100 and 200 miles.
But still I can hold off a bit longer until we are at 1200...

So went to the dealer today who strongly recommended to me to not change the oil this early.
I was at 930 miles (when I arrived).
Had my trusty Mobil 1 filter in my hand.
Its not that they outright refused but I did not press the issue either.
The oil does still look real good (and in the back of my head I am not all that enthusiastic about the dealers 0w-20 oil)

And now tonite at 960 miles (bascially a 1000) there is zero detectable loss of oil (I looked very carefully).
Which I think is great tells me the rings are fully seated and likely have been, for some time.
I cant wait to be full broken in at wring out this engine.
Most folks seem to agree the armada perforams even better than one would expect the engine to do from its on paper numbers.
Realistically I know 80-90 % of breakin probbaly happens somewhere between 100 and 200 miles.
But still I can hold off a bit longer until we are at 1200...
So... The dealer recommended you "not" to change your oil this early? I'm curious as to why they would say that?

Was it because they are concerned about the costs you would incur? Or.... were they saying they have a special break-in oil? Perhaps some other reason?

I remember back in the 80's, my uncle purchased a brand new Mercury Sable (3.8 V6). He changed the oil with about 1,000 miles on the odometer. He used Mobil 1
engine oil. (Because back then, it was the premier synthetic.) Well... all was well for next few thousand miles and when the car approached around 5k miles, he noticed the crankcase was low about a quart. (He checked the oil religiously,pretty much every week as he traveled quite a bit.)

Sadly, the engine was using about a quart every 8-900 miles. Since it was under warranty, he took it in to the dealer and they eventually replaced the engine.

Their (explanation) was that two of the oil control rings had aligned on the pistons which led to loss of oil control. They said they also were not 'seating" correctly.
He asked them why a brand new engine would do that?? They asked him if he had changed to synthetic before the 5k mark and he told them he did. They told him this was the reasons the rings didn't seat well... the "synth" was too "good" and the parts didn't break-in well.

Now... Ya'll may laugh at this story, but it's true. Who knows if the factory had a bad day installing "rings", or some tech was pissed-off that day? What's interesting is that he took their advice on the new engine and didn't switch to Mobil 1 until after 3 OCI's with conventional oil. He never had a oil consumption issue after that.

I know this sounds stereotypical of why some here adhere to the "break-in" theory, but I remember being there with the mechanics and service managers. They very much advised not to switch over to synthetic until the break-in process was done. (In their case, three or more OCI's of conventional).

Back