What do these standards give you? (Edge Vs. Edge high mileage)

Looking at the HM version of Castrol Edge, and whilst i'm guessing it gives up some standards for whatever it uses to benefit high mileage engines, i was curious what they are.

Between the two oils at 5w30, regular Edge has these specs that are missing from the HM version.

• ACEA A1/B1
  • ACEA A5/B5
  • ACEA C2
  • GM 4718M
  • GM 6094M
  • Honda HTO-06

The HM version has all the same specs as the regular, just missing those in the list above, are some of those euro specs?

Other differences, Edge to Edge HM include
  • Viscosity of 10.0 vs. 11.3
  • VI of 164 vs. 159

Thicker oil, less energy conserving hence some of the missing list specs. Plus some various formulation differences (Calcium, Mg, Zinc, etc...).Use it.

Yup, it's certainly thicker based on the viscosity rating.
What are those ACEA standards, are they euro standards?

I'm trying to replace Shell RGT, which i think is an 11.7 in 5w30, with a stout additive package (only reason i'm replacing it is because it now seems to cost $30/jug and everyone says it's going away)

If Castrol Edge HM would be the best direct replacement, so be it, i don't have any other ideas :(

A direct replacement would be valvoline extended protection. rgt has around 170ppm of moly and valv ext prot is 300 but it's more stout elsewhere. Could also try pennzoil platinum 0w-40, Heard its got 200ppm of moly. Both are $25 at wm.com

QSUD would be a good replacement for RGT
It would seem so, but not really - answer from Penzoil on that one.

Shell said:
We've noticed that Shell ROTELLA Gas Truck and Quaker State Ultimate Durability look very similar based on Virgin Oil Analyses; is there any functional difference between these two that are not shown on these reports?
  • Shell Rotella Gas Truck utilizes a performance additive package with boosted oxidation protection. The boost in oxidation protection allows the oil to handle the increased thermal stresses placed upon the engine and oil in severe operations such as towing loads. Standard element based oil analysis would not be able to detect a boost in antioxidancy. Antioxidants are typically composed of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen which tend to be overshadowed by other important components of the product including base oils and other performance additives.

A direct replacement would be valvoline extended protection. rgt has around 170ppm of moly and valv ext prot is 300 but it's more stout elsewhere. Could also try pennzoil platinum 0w-40, Heard its got 200ppm of moly. Both are $25 at wm.com
You're saying that the Valvoline EP has more moly *and* has is more stout elsewhere in the additives?
It's definitely 'thinner' at 10.7.

Does it matter that much?

What about Mobil1 Truck and SUV
I have the choice of many oils, obviously, i do like RGT being that it's formulated for (marketing speak or not) trucks etc.
If you read between the lines in all the interviews and questions asked, the formulation for trucks/SUVs basically seem to be more moly and extreme resistance to heat break-down. I'd already noticed how hot my engine runs vs. other engines so that makes sense.

So that's why i was looking at Castrol Edge due to it's advertised heat resistance.

The Mobil1 Truck & SUV is very nearly the same price as RGT, so there isn't anything to be gained, with the exception of it's probably still in production, i mean, that's why i'm looking for another oil, because i might not be able to get RGT much longer, and it's price has gone up nearly 50% since i started buying it.

Just use QSFS, it has a rather low NOACK like RGT suggesting it's primarily GTL, the KV100 is 11.6, it pretty much has the same add package maybe minus a small amount of extra anti-oxidants, special Truck & SUV oil is all marketing wank, Mobil1's Truck and SUV oil claims "10% more detergents," but people are running regular Mobil1 in their trucks just fine for 200-300k+ miles, just use a good gasoline rated oil, since you're so partial to RGT just use it's readily available functional equivalent that's only $15.91 at Walmart right now since you're so worried with cost.

You're saying that the Valvoline EP has more moly *and* has is more stout elsewhere in the additives?
It's definitely 'thinner' at 10.7.
10.7 is okay for a 5w-30 especially if its a bit more stout and i think you said you weren't going for long drains. That's why i also recommended pp 0w-40 as well.

Like many other European standards, ACEA sequences are written by engineers. US standards are usually written by lobbyists and accountants. What they should do is to harmonize the next API and ACEA standards somehow. If possible.
Now I will take shelter :)

Looking at the HM version of Castrol Edge, and whilst i'm guessing it gives up some standards for whatever it uses to benefit high mileage engines, i was curious what they are.

Between the two oils at 5w30, regular Edge has these specs that are missing from the HM version.

• ACEA A1/B1
  • ACEA A5/B5
  • ACEA C2
  • GM 4718M
  • GM 6094M
  • Honda HTO-06

The HM version has all the same specs as the regular, just missing those in the list above, are some of those euro specs?

Other differences, Edge to Edge HM include
  • Viscosity of 10.0 vs. 11.3
  • VI of 164 vs. 159
Those are all good specs but they are all obsolete except A5/B5 and C2. I believe A5/B5 is about to get replaced.

Back