What did I do draining what was recommended?

Have a vacation day, went to dealership where I purchased my new 2023 Rav4 Hybrid for my 10K Toyota Care oil change. Have already changed the oil at 901 and 4903 miles since purchased. Drained out the TGMO 0W16 dealership serviced and replaced with... Left the Toyota oil filter on for the next 5K. Drained 0W16 into clean 7 quart container and poured it into a clean 5 quart container to use at 15K.
20240625_083254.jpg

So you had the dealer do an oil change then immediately drained it to use later? Or am I not following? If so, why???? Seems like a waste of effort and plenty of chances to contaminate the oil.

This.. the risk of contamination is not worth it. No matter how careful you are, or how clean you think the containers are, you are going to introduce debris into the oil. Maybe if it's some old beater, fine, but not in a new car.

Have a vacation day, went to dealership where I purchased my new 2023 Rav4 Hybrid for my 10K Toyota Care oil change. Have already changed the oil at 901 and 4903 miles since purchased. Drained out the TGMO 0W16 dealership serviced and replaced with... Left the Toyota oil filter on for the next 5K. Drained 0W16 into clean 7 quart container and poured it into a clean 5 quart container to use at 15K. View attachment 226870
I would change to

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-16, using Mobil 1 oil filter, or Fram endurance oil filter. You would get maximum torque, HP, & MPG. Change every 10k miles.​

Have a vacation day, went to dealership where I purchased my new 2023 Rav4 Hybrid for my 10K Toyota Care oil change. Have already changed the oil at 901 and 4903 miles since purchased. Drained out the TGMO 0W16 dealership serviced and replaced with... Left the Toyota oil filter on for the next 5K. Drained 0W16 into clean 7 quart container and poured it into a clean 5 quart container to use at 15K. View attachment 226870
There are a lot of "oil extremists" on BITOG doing wildly silly things, but this might "take the cake".

Congrats on making it to the BITOG 0.1% 🫣

My guess is he wants to use Toyota oil later before it goes back in to dealer for their next oil change so they don't blame him for using thicker or 'unapproved' oil. Manual reads something like "you may use 0w-20 but must change to 0w-16 on next oil change..."
How would they know. The viscosities overlap.

But yes, your likely correct.

My guess is he wants to use Toyota oil later before it goes back in to dealer for their next oil change so they don't blame him for using thicker or 'unapproved' oil. Manual reads something like "you may use 0w-20 but must change to 0w-16 on next oil change..."
And the $15/hr lube tech would pull the plug and say, "by golly, that drains like a 0w20, not a 0w16, I'm going to rat this guy out to corporate!"

I'm happy when they don't give tire depth on the inspection report in mm and tell me it's 32nds.

Have a vacation day ---- Drained out the TGMO 0W16 dealership serviced and replaced with... Left the Toyota oil filter on for the next 5K. Drained 0W16 into clean 7 quart container and poured it into a clean 5 quart container to use at 15K.
I am not following the initially apparent lack of logic here. The only remotely possible thought process would be you are saving the 0W16 for Winter use and you want a zerodub 20 for Summer.

Did I get it?

Hello @BAJA_05

You might be trying to "get the use out of" oil that only has 5,000 miles on it. But I don't think it's worth worrying about. The risk of contamination is too great.

I used to change the oil for my BMW at half BMW's recommended interval and (while it might have had some useful life left in it) I didn't worry about it.

Back