What could be wrong with this car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking at car listings and come across this one on a dealer site:

2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ, 6AT
29,500 miles
Blue Book: $18,522
Internet Price: $11,700

It notes it is a former rental, and the history report shows it to be as well. No accidents noted in the report. Only one picture on the site. I haven't posted my drawn out "I may be buying a car" post, but for a workhorse commuter, this could be a winner. Heck, at this price, you could slap an extended warranty on through GM or somewhere reputable and still be ahead.

So any idea why this could be at such a fire sale price? The car is about an hour away from me, or else I would swing by ASAP. Maybe the interior is trashed? That could be my only guess.

Last edited:
flood car from new jersey?

Might not have caught up to carfax yet or might not have been an insurance claim.

Those cars are great, and you are on the right track looking for an extended warranty, but I think that you need a carfax report and you need to really think about what "former rental" means.

I would also take the Blue Book value with a grain of salt. What is the actual transaction price of a new vehicle?

All that said, the price is good.

It also seems like rental fleets don’t file allot of insurance claims. They almost always have clean carfaxs even when it is obvious there have been repairs.

Originally Posted By: apwillard1986
It also seems like rental fleets don’t file allot of insurance claims. They almost always have clean carfaxs even when it is obvious there have been repairs.

From what I have seen some rental agencies also own body shops so the accidents are never reported and the fixes usually sub par.
I was at the auction last weekend and budget had a lot of cars up. All of them were obviously in wrecks(paint didn't match,some panels faded where others looked shiny and new) yet the auctioneer states these cars had no reported accidents. "no reported" being the operative term I guess. The lot of 6 cars went for 2000 bucks to a guy who I heard say they were all for his wife. I assume she is hard on vehicles.

Check all the fluids, and take it in for an oil change at a small garage and tell the guy you want to look under the car for 15-20 mins and pay him cash for the lift time.

Take a very strong flashlight with you, drop lights cast a lot of shadows.

Start at the nose of the car and stare under it in sections until you are satisfied then move to the next section.

If a car was in a collision this is a good, cheap easy way to feel good about what you are buying.

History reports are worthless unless they do say the car was accidented. If it says the car is clean the report is worthless. Odd logic but that is how I use a CarFAX report.

call them and start asking questions, its just speculation at this point. in my mind, it is either a misprint or was fished out of the bay and the feces was sprayed out with a pressure washer.

I have a good friend who manages a "preferred" body shop for Enterprise.

If the damage is over 30-40% of the value of the vehicle, Enterprise won't repair it, period.

The leeway in the 30 and 40% deals with the model of the vehicle. For example... they'll write off a model with a low residual at 30% (think of an Impala).

However, more desirable models with a higher residual, they'll go up to 40% (pickups, SUV's, car models that are in high demand).

my Former Sonata was former rental. I found out years after i bought it it had had a prior frontal collision.(when i took it to my preferred body shop to replace the front bumper for an OOPS of mine involving a large boulder next to the guest parking @ my friends apt.)
During my 8 1/2 yrs w/ the car, i had to have both bumpers replaced, b/c of 2 separate minor "Fender bender" type accidents.
when i sold it, i paid for the carfax, and had copies available with the Service records, for the potential buyers.

NONE of the 3 accidents were shown on the carfax report.
Mine were both handled through insurance, and a reputable body shop.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the story of the rental which sat on the lot for a few summer days with a (formerly) frozen turkey forgotten in the trunk. SUCH A DEAL.

I would avoid a rental that may have been abused.

The "Selling Price" does show lower than "Blue Book" prices for other Cruze in your area.

Examples, Cruze with only 3516 miles listed at $15,975 at Pochanka Chevrolet, Chantilly, VA.
And heavy discounts up to about $5000 off MSRP at Ted Brit, Sterling VA

Last edited:
I've owned several previous rentals over the years. They've mostly been perfect for me.

If that $11700 price isn't a misprint, it may have fine print "with down payment or trade worth $3999".

That or it's another lovely dealer trick just to get you in the door, vehicle sold already, etc..

Joel

can you still not buy a left over zero miles brand new 2012 vehicle for about $15K? Few months ago at least I had seen some Mazda 3 and Civic LX brand new for 17K at few east coast dealers.

Guys, lets not over think this, it's 2012 with 30k mile on it...

High mileage has reduced the price.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Guys, lets not over think this, it's 2012 with 30k mile on it...

High mileage has reduced the price.

And its a rental fleet car which kills ALL of that model as far as value. (read Taurus)

$11k for a vehicle that saw 30k in a year? About right.

You pay your money and take your chances. After my only experience with a rental and seeing how members here abuse them I'd pass if I could do it again.

Bill

Thanks for the input. I'm not set on a Cruze or even buying a new car yet, I just came across this one and it seemed like an interesting case.

The price appears on the dealer's website and Cars.com listing, so I'm guessing it isn't a misprint. The lack of pictures is attributed to it being "too new to the lot".

As far as where it had "lived", I suppose it is tough to tell where it has been. Car was registered in Minnesota as a rental. Then was offered for auction once in August in PA. Then offered at auction again in MI in November.

Probably too many question marks to pursue a car like this, especially since I lack a reliable mechanic to run it by.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back